Is anything at all open on Sundays?

montycjv

Hi,

We will be in Marseille Port for the day on a Sunday only in 3/2013 and see that shops and restaurants and even wineries are closed. Are the open-air markets closed too?

We should have done more research...If anyone has more information, please advise. Thanks!

Hi,

We will be in Marseille Port for the day on a Sunday only in 3/2013 and see that shops and restaurants and even wineries are closed. Are the open-air markets closed too?

We should have done more research...If anyone has more information, please advise. Thanks!

When we were there (a Sunday) Vieux Port was busy by 11:00. Morning was a bit dead though, we walked around the back streets to a little church, until the town woke up. Went up to cathedral later in the day.

There will be some restaurants and cafes, near the old port, that will operate on Sundays. If its a nice day there will even be other tourists as there are always some folks who want to go out to Chateau d'If (of Count of Monte Cristo fame). As has often been mentioned on these boards, going to Aix en Provence is always a viable option and since that is a major tourist destination there are more things to do and see even on Sundays.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Thank you for your reply. What is the best way to get to Aixen Provence on a Sunday? We would love to tour the city, visit a winery or two and see whatever time will permit. If you have some suggestions, we would certainly love to read them. We always have found these boards so helpful and our first time in France (for the day), it would really be appreciated. Looking forward to your suggestions:) Chris

There will be some restaurants and cafes, near the old port, that will operate on Sundays. If its a nice day there will even be other tourists as there are always some folks who want to go out to Chateau d'If (of Count of Monte Cristo fame). As has often been mentioned on these boards, going to Aix en Provence is always a viable option and since that is a major tourist destination there are more things to do and see even on Sundays.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Thank you for your reply. What is the best way to get to Aixen Provence on a Sunday? We would love to tour the city, visit a winery or two and see whatever time will permit. If you have some suggestions, we would certainly love to read them. We always have found these boards so helpful and our first time in France (for the day), it would really be appreciated. Looking forward to your suggestions:) Chris

This has been a frequent topic on this board (as it should be). The most difficult part in going to Aix en Provence is getting yourself into Marseille from the port. You need to get to the main train station (St Charles Train Station) and there are two basic ways. You can take a shuttle bus (offered by your cruise for a price) which will drop you at the old port of Marseille from where you can walk to the train station in about 20 min. Or, you can try and get a taxi to take you directly from the port to the train station. Once at the station you can either take the train or a bus (the bus station is adjacent to the train station) and you will be in Aix in about 45 min.

Of course there is another way which is to take a tour (either through the ship or a private tour) which does make things a bit easier...but will cost more money. My other issue with most tours is that DW and I love to enjoy long lunches in France (this is a country famous for its wonderful cuisine and wine) and Aix has a famous street (Cours Mirabeau) with its share of excellent cafes and restaurants...many with a fine view. Few tours allow time for a decent lunch...and some even force you to eat at tourist-class restaurants (bus loads crammed into restaurants often with long tables and set menus).

Hank

Thanks again Hank...yes we did notice that travel was a big topic, but with hearing/reading about how Sundays are virtually shut-down in France and everything by law including restaurants are closed...we thought Sunday travel might be different too.

We have reached out to some private tours, as we don't like to be rushed either by the ship tours and prefer to plan and eat on our own.

It appears that not much is available so far and we have gotten a price of 95Euoros pp for an all day tour from the port to Aix en Provence which includes 2 wineries and transport...food is on our own...so basically we are paying for travel and 2 wine tastings. Do you think that is a reasonable rate? Like I said, first time in France and its is a Sunday, so we are limited from what we know. Your thoughts on the matter would shed some more light:) Chris

This has been a frequent topic on this board (as it should be). The most difficult part in going to Aix en Provence is getting yourself into Marseille from the port. You need to get to the main train station (St Charles Train Station) and there are two basic ways. You can take a shuttle bus (offered by your cruise for a price) which will drop you at the old port of Marseille from where you can walk to the train station in about 20 min. Or, you can try and get a taxi to take you directly from the port to the train station. Once at the station you can either take the train or a bus (the bus station is adjacent to the train station) and you will be in Aix in about 45 min.

Of course there is another way which is to take a tour (either through the ship or a private tour) which does make things a bit easier...but will cost more money. My other issue with most tours is that DW and I love to enjoy long lunches in France (this is a country famous for its wonderful cuisine and wine) and Aix has a famous street (Cours Mirabeau) with its share of excellent cafes and restaurants...many with a fine view. Few tours allow time for a decent lunch...and some even force you to eat at tourist-class restaurants (bus loads crammed into restaurants often with long tables and set menus).

Hank

First, you do understand that even in Aix there will not be much shopping on a Sunday. DW and I were just talking about your post and she reminded me that when we rented an apartment in St Remy....on Sunday mornings we would always drive over to l'isle sur la sorgue where they have a fabulous outdoor market (one of the best in all of France) in the morning (it does close up by 1pm). This town is about a 1:10 min drive from Marseille. There are also a few very touristy French towns such as Les Baux , St Paul de Vence and Eze Village that seem to be the exception to the French laws of things being closed on Sundays. But even Aix, as popular as it is, does not have much shopping on Sundays. The tour you mention does mean you do not have to pay to get into and back from the Marseille train station. Going to the wineries also gives you something to do on a Sunday. We also think its overpriced (typcial of most cruise line excursions) but would still be less money then trying to hire a private driver/guide. If we were going to Aix on a Sunday we would probably be content to just stroll around the city and have a nice lunch...but they may not be enough for you.

There is another option (our norm for many places) which is to simply rent a car and drive. Many of the best parts of Provence are outside the cities and can only be enjoyed with a car or good tour. Although you will be there on a Sunday I believe that the Avis office at the train station is open all day. If we were in Aix early I am sure DW would push me to get a car and get her to L'isle de la Sorgue before 11. Of course we would not do this if the weather was lousy. We would probably then stop in Aix on our way back to Marseille.

Sorry if I am rambling,..but just tossing out ideas. Getting the most out of Sundays in France is always a challenge.

Hank

Thanks again for your information..very helpful and not rambling!!!! Anyway, the tour we were talking about was not through the ship, we found it on-line and thought it to be a bit pricey. But, they know that much is closed on Sunday; so if we want to explore, we are limited in our options. The ship has only a few excursions and don't seem all that great (esp. if everything is closed)...Perhaps you or your wife may recall if any restaurants are open in Aix on Sundays as the tour says lunch is on our own and that could be a factor if we are so limited in dining...it would have been great to eat in a nice cafe of our choosing as it seems choosing is limited....We know we have some more time to plan, but the information you have provided thus far is so helpful for people like us who did not do our "proper" planning when booking this cruise!

First, you do understand that even in Aix there will not be much shopping on a Sunday. DW and I were just talking about your post and she reminded me that when we rented an apartment in St Remy....on Sunday mornings we would always drive over to l'isle sur la sorgue where they have a fabulous outdoor market (one of the best in all of France) in the morning (it does close up by 1pm). This town is about a 1:10 min drive from Marseille. There are also a few very touristy French towns such as Les Baux , St Paul de Vence and Eze Village that seem to be the exception to the French laws of things being closed on Sundays. But even Aix, as popular as it is, does not have much shopping on Sundays. The tour you mention does mean you do not have to pay to get into and back from the Marseille train station. Going to the wineries also gives you something to do on a Sunday. We also think its overpriced (typcial of most cruise line excursions) but would still be less money then trying to hire a private driver/guide. If we were going to Aix on a Sunday we would probably be content to just stroll around the city and have a nice lunch...but they may not be enough for you.

There is another option (our norm for many places) which is to simply rent a car and drive. Many of the best parts of Provence are outside the cities and can only be enjoyed with a car or good tour. Although you will be there on a Sunday I believe that the Avis office at the train station is open all day. If we were in Aix early I am sure DW would push me to get a car and get her to L'isle de la Sorgue before 11. Of course we would not do this if the weather was lousy. We would probably then stop in Aix on our way back to Marseille.

Sorry if I am rambling,..but just tossing out ideas. Getting the most out of Sundays in France is always a challenge.

Hank

I do recall not having a problem finding a place to eat on Sundays. When the weather is good we tend to just stroll along the Cours Mirabeau looking at what's open and their daily posted menus (the daily specials are often the way to get the best food at the best price). Yes, there are some restaurants closed on Sunday (and Mondays) but there are also quite a few open ..especially the cafes, bars and brasseries. Some of the best restaurants are indeed closed, but many of these places do not even serve lunch so are not of interest to cruisers.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

We like the idea of the car rental since much is closed on Sundays. Do you happen to know if there are rental car facilities in the port of Marseille? You did mention Avis...How do you get there from the port? It may be the best way to go and take full advantage of the day....What ever information you have will be appreciated. Thank you..Chris

Hank

Hi again,

We like the idea of the car rental since much is closed on Sundays. Do you happen to know if there are rental car facilities in the port of Marseille? You did mention Avis...How do you get there from the port? It may be the best way to go and take full advantage of the day....What ever information you have will be appreciated. Thank you..Chris

We are not aware of any rental car facilities located at the port (you might want to post this as a separate topic in case something has recently changed). However, unlike many parts of France there are several rental car agencies open on Sundays in the St Charles Railroad Station area. I had previously mentioned Avis since they seem to have the longest hours, but Hertz and Europcar are also open on Sundays. There are two ways to get there from the port. 1. Take a taxi (the fastest and easiest way). 2. Take the cruise line shuttle into town. The shuttle will likely drop you at the old port area which leaves you with a 15 min walk to the train station.

Hank

Thanks for the advice, but we are on a cruise for the day only in this port and I don't belive the ships offers any tours to Aix; which is where we hope to go....seems the only chance/place of seeing something open.

However, cars are quite expensive to rent, though we could see everything we want or at least pass by it if it is closed? lol

I would highly recommend booking a tour because it is a Sunday.

Also this is a port of call where there is much more to be seen away from the nearby area.

Keith

Archived