Dunn's River Falls - how strenuous?

beasfriend

Going to Jamaica for the first time and would like to see the Falls, but am conerned on how strenuous the climb will be. I can walk up a flight of stairs (slowly), but would have to rest at the top before I tried to climb a 2nd flight. Can you see anything from the bottom?

Also, if this is too physical, what else is there to see around Ocho Rios that is must see?

We've done it several times. We've seen age 2-72 doing the climb. The guides are VERY helpful. They climb the falls over and over day after day. Definately give it a try. There are places along the way where you can get off the falls and just walk back up. Just let your guide know you need to take your time. Although some regard the falls as too touristy - I think it's a great experience to do at least once. I think you will regret if you don't at least try. I'm very confident you could at least make it to the first "exit" if you need it.

If there are places along the way where you can get OUT of the falls, will they allow you to get IN the falls there as well?

We aren't physically fit enough to climb the falls, but we would love to visit the falls, take pics and enter the falls to just frolick around in there for a while before getting back out again.

I know we were able to get into the falls at one point, but that was 15 years ago. Wasn't sure if they still allowed people to enter the falls anymore if they weren't going to climb them.

For those that have used these entrances/exits out of the falls, how difficult was it getting in and out? i remember the rocks were super slippery, but can't remember how difficult it was to get in and out of the falls.

we just did it last week.. my husband is on SSD rods in his back can do stairs more then you described for yourself - he made it 1/4 of the way and took the first exit.. It was VERY hard for him to climb.. it was hard for me and my son and we are in shape... I happen to fall off of the 2nd climb into a pool due to a slippery spot the guide told me to step at.. cuts and bruised thanks to that. you see people slipping and some falling all day - for 9 of us it took over an hour to get to the to and that was us not stopping for all the pics they wanted and dives and slides into certain pools.

I have climbed the falls many times. It is quite a bit more strenuous than climbing stairs. If your ability is limited to climbing stairs, then this is not for you. Some of the rocks are slippery also. You wouldn't want to end up in a Jamaican hospital. However the falls is in a very beautiful setting and there are stairs and a pathway along side of it. It is worth it just to go there to see it and to watch the climbers.

I attempted the falls when I was 48 I am ok health wise however I could not finish I told them I want off. Mind you I made half way up without falling but when I decided to quit I was walking to the gates to get out and fell 2 times skinned my knee. So if you have issues with stairs YOU will have issues with the slippery rocks.

Archived