Travel iron allowed in carry on bag?

chaswill

Has anyone ever taken a small travel iron in their carry on luggage when flying to a cruise? My DW likes to have one to press our clothes when we get into our room and hates to wait for the ship to bring up our big bag. I can't find any specific reference anywhere that says they aren't allowed, but we would hate to lose it at a TSA check point. Thanks for your input.

I do not believe irons are allowed in the cabins

You can go to the laundry room they have irons for your use

How much clothing would she need to press from your carry-on???

From Oceania website

Q: Can I bring my travel iron?

A: Travel irons cannot be used due to the fire hazzard they can pose.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

While LHT28 points out that it would not be allowed to be used on board the ship, according to the TSA you would be able to bring a clothes iron in your carry-on bag if you have the option of ironing things prior to boarding the ship, say in a pre-cruise hotel.

Check this link for a handy "can I bring my..." search option:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

While LHT28 points out that it would not be allowed to be used on board the ship, according to the TSA you would be able to bring a clothes iron in your carry-on bag if you have the option of ironing things prior to boarding the ship, say in a pre-cruise hotel.

Most hotels I have stayed in recently have an iron & ironing board in the room

Seems like a waste of prime luggage space to me :D

YMMV

It's my understanding cruise ships don't want travel irons or other devices that heat up on board. The reason is they don't want the risk of fire. The reason they don't want the risk of fire is that it's the single biggest danger on a ship - think about it. Where are going to go when the ship is on fire?

Leave the iron at home. What are a couple of wrinkles among friends who are all in the same boat?

The electrical wiring in the cabin is set up for rather low amperage.. and the draw from irons and other high load devices can overload the curcit and cause either an electrical failure by tripping a breaker and blacking out not only your cabin but potentialy others on the same circuit. Too, over loading the wiring can cause electrical fires in the walls and hidden spaces.

The ships hairdryers are usualy high voltage but low amperage, ( lower voltage ( 110) requires higher amps.

For this reason I leave my crock pot at home as well.

Archived