Questions about Copenhagen

My parents just booked on the Star Princess for 6/14 sailing out of Copenhagen. They are arriving a day early, so they have asked me to book them a hotel room the night of 6/13.

For those of you who have been to Copenhagen, which hotel(s) would you recommend and did you book on-line? I'm considering Priceline.com, but past successful bids for Marriott Copenhagen is around $95+tax/charge.

I'm trying to figure out where the hotel is in relation to the cruise terminal (how far it is and how much the taxi will cost).

Another option would be to stay at an airport hotel and then take a taxi to the cruise terminal the next day. How far is the airport to the Star Princess terminal in terms of taxi fare?

Any of your suggestions, recommendations, and inputs would be most appreciated.

TIA.

Jennifer

Look in the Baltics section. You will find tons of information including recent info on Marriott. If you post there, you will get good advice if you give the arrival time in CPH. The Star Princess departs at 9pm. Off hand, I suggest staying near the Tivoli / Stroget. Our estimate is $35 per cab from airport to Town Center (Tivoli) and $20 from Town Center to the pier. But this is based on information from the posts and guidebook. We will be in CPH Sep 11 for the Sep 12 sailing. /Sultan

Any of the hotels in the city centre of CH would be better than staying at the airport as the post is pretty much right there,and from the airport it would be quite a distance out.this way they can stroll around the shopping area,and see some of the sights. there is also a SAS Radisson across from Tivoli Gardens. You can check out hotels on TripAdvisor.com.

We stayed at the SAS Radisson (just across from Tivoli) last year - most everything was within easy walking distance. We did take a taxi to Rosenberg Castle, then walked back to the hotel through the old part of the city. A lovely day's activity! We ate dinner at Tivoli one night - it was okay, but our best dinner was at a place called Kanalen - if you love outstanding food and wine, this is the place to go! The taxi from the airport was about $35(for 2 with luggage), the taxi to the pier was about $15 and took all of 5 minutes! I would NOT stay at the airport when you could be in the middle of the old part of the city! Everyone there speaks English beatifully, so no worries there. I would definitely opt for the taxi to the pier - you're much more likely to get on the ship quickly - no long line as a bus load of folks tries to embark. We walked right on to our ship! Phoenix hotel is also in a good location. The Resistance museum is a 5 minute walk from the pier and you pass the little mermaid on the way. The museum is worth the visit. We checked in on our ship, ate lunch, then walked over to the musem and the mermaid. There are some shops by the pier, but you have a much better selection in town. Hope this helps!

Ciaobella:

Thanks for the very helpful post.

Question: What time did you board? We are thinking of going to the Pier around noon, give our luggage, board and disembark if it appears to be quick, otherwise come back around 5pm and board. Any comments.

The Lonely Planet for CPH also gives a high recommendation for Kanalen. In that book, it is listed in the index as Restaurant Kanalen.

/Sultan

Partial Quotes:

but our best dinner was at a place called Kanalen - if you love outstanding food and wine, this is the place to go!

no long line as a bus load of folks tries to embark. We walked right on to our ship! Phoenix hotel is also in a good location.

We stayed at the Phoenix for 3 nights last year and would recommend it and the location. We booked online thru www.arphansen - it was one of their special rates and a real bargain considering hotel prices in Copenhagen. On the day we boarded, we left our luggage at the hotel, spent the day touring, returned to the hotel to get our luggage and then went by taxi to the ship at about 3:30.

There are 2 ports in town. One is close to the Little Mermaid and Resistance Museum - the other is a bit out of town, but still not far.

Taxi's in Copenhagen accept credit cards. We took one from airport to hotel too. You'll find lots of information on the Baltics board...

Julie

There are indeed two piers, but it is still very easy to take taxis in Copenhagen. Most hotels will hold your luggage, you can go out for the day, pick it up, and then get on the ship. We went to our ship around noon - some will give you early boarding if you have paid with AMEX. Also, all the cruise lines set up tables in our hotel lobby, so folks could ask questions. Our person told us to go ahead to the ship (she did not recommend using the ship's transfer as it was so much more expensive than the taxi), which we did because we knew it was so close to the museum we wanted to see anyway! Kanalen was delightful! We would go back to Copenhagen just to eat there! We also ate one night in a place which used to be an old monastery - saw a young man propose to his sweetheart (she said yes!). The Danes are very friendly, and we enjoyed our stay in Copenhagen very much.

• 1 month later...
We also ate one night in a place which used to be an old monastery - saw a young man propose to his sweetheart (she said yes!). The Danes are very friendly, and we enjoyed our stay in Copenhagen very much.

Was it this place?

http://www.sgk.as/

Its very highly rated ;)

Im from Copenhagen, so i will try to answer your questions as best i can, should you have any :)

Archived