Just got off Carribean Princess Aug 24th

515kitty

I haven't cruised Princess yet but am booked on the Carib Princess. I have cruised 3 other lines many times and can tell you that CCL, RCL and NCL all give priority to the shore tour groups through them. That is not something only Princess does but all main stream lines do this. Just FYI.

I am booked the the Carib princess in Dec, I have yet to cruise with Princess but I hope that we will not be disappointed. I have heard so many great things about the ship.

Nice to see other opinions though. Excited to try this ship.

It is true that passengers booked on a cruise ship excursion will always get priority leaving the ship, regardless of the ship or line. However, what stood out to me on the CB more so than any other ship was just how bogged down the entire process of exiting the ship became, especially for those with independent tours. We always tend to book independent tours and have never had a problem getting off the ship in time. On our CB cruise last year we BARELY made it off to get to the meeting place for the two ship sponsored trips we booked. The lines to get off the ship were so long and the meeting places were on shore. They did not warn us that we would need to line up almost a full hour in advance of our meeting time just to get off the ship. We ended up finding a crew member to help us move to the front of the line so we wouldn't miss our excursion. Based on other Princess cruises, I can only say that this was unique to the CB and again, the entire sense of overcrowding was unique to that ship which I understand was retrofitted to add cabins for an extra 500 people without that being factored into public space and other services. I love Princess but it would take a lot to get me back on the CB, especially on a peak time summer or holiday cruise.

The sailing went from Southampton around to Southampton but because we wanted to spend more time in Normandy we got off in Le Harve France spent the weekend before going into Paris for a couple of days and flew back from Paris. The way Princess handled the disembarking was as confusing as the embarking. We were told to show up at 9:30 AM in Crown Grill I talked to the passenger desk told them I was to pick up our car between 8-9 AM and really did not want it given away. We docked at 7AM. I had heard there were a couple of hundred that was also getting off. Well the morning of getting off we showed up at 8 am when the lady setting up gave us back our passports which I still do not understand why they held them when returning everyone else on board back after a couple days sailing. Anyway the lady setting up agreed to check us out and give us our passports early rater than waiting. Just luck. Went rather smoothly after that point. Would not have been happy if our car had been given away as there is only one rental at the terminal.

There is priority given loyal customers almost everywhere, not just cruise lines. The Airlines are a prime example, first class goes first, then their most loyal passengers, then everyone else. That's the way it is and it is how they reward their best customers.

I am not sure why you think because you booked your tours independently that Princess should give you special treatment when, in essence, you have taken revenue from them.

As for the ship holding your passports, I would say that because you were deviating from the norm for the cruise, they may have held your passports to process them through the french authorities in advance of arrival in LeHavre so there would not be a hold up for the very few passengers getting off there.

With the airlines First class and Business class pay premium price for there seats or have traveled many miles (hundred of thousands of miles) to get an award. They have more than paid for the priority. With Princess I paid the same as the next balcony room and probably more than the person who is in the inside room and is on that tour bus. Hope you might see the playing field as I do. As far as the passport it doesn't really bother me except when we are in port and for some reason we would not be able to get back to the ship we could not even check into a hotel without a passport overseas. Perhaps these are the practices of many cruise ships but it did not happen on Celebrity in the Mediterranean that we took. But times change and so do the port rules. Don't know for sure?

With the airlines First class and Business class pay premium price for there seats or have traveled many miles (hundred of thousands of miles) to get an award. They have more than paid for the priority. With Princess I paid the same as the next balcony room and probably more than the person who is in the inside room and is on that tour bus. Hope you might see the playing field as I do. As far as the passport it doesn't really bother me except when we are in port and for some reason we would not be able to get back to the ship we could not even check into a hotel without a passport overseas. Perhaps these are the practices of many cruise ships but it did not happen on Celebrity in the Mediterranean that we took. But times change and so do the port rules. Don't know for sure?

As you indicated, those in first class have paid more to the airline. And those on Princess tours have paid more to Princess.

Having said that, Princess often loads tenders from two places and does Princess tours from one of the places and those not on a Princess tour from another.

Of course, the more passengers on a Princess ship, the longer it takes to tender them to shore. Tendering takes less time from the Island Princess (less than 1970 passengers) than from the Ruby (3080 passengers).

We have been on independent tours arranged by Cruise Critic roll call members and one of the members was able to arrange with Princess to have the group on one of the first tenders from the ship.

If you are unable to get back to the ship when Princess has your passport, they will give it to their port agent so you will have it when you finally make it to the pier.

As far as passports, laws for some countries require them to be available on the ship for immigration personnel. Depending on the itinerary, sometimes we have had to give Princess the passports and sometimes we have not. At least one time we were required to have them on shore so Princess gave them back to us for the day.

Thanks for the passport information I was sure there was a reason they were holding them and not returning them to us. Just did not know why nor did they say why?

Did not know about the private tours though Princess been able to obtain priority getting off.

It is good to share ideas and hear from others as there are always tings to be learned.

Thanks for the passport information I was sure there was a reason they were holding them and not returning them to us. Just did not know why nor did they say why?

Did not know about the private tours though Princess been able to obtain priority getting off.

It is good to share ideas and hear from others as there are always tings to be learned.

It is a good idea to have a copy of your passport tucked in your wallet or purse for those times when the ship does have your actual passport...we generalaly take a small laminated copy of our passports with us when we go off the ship.

I also learned the hard way on the Caribbean Princess. And being Elite makes little difference as we were elite at that time. The Caribbean Princess was brand new so we went on it with little research.

Our main or big comment when we went on her was "where did all the people come from?".

We found out the hard way there are just too many people on this ship and on the Ruby and on the Emerald, and on the Crown. The latter three we have not been on and will not go on.

We still prefer Princess but not these ships. There is a world of difference between the above four and the rest and we have been on the rest some several times and next month will be on the Sapphire for the 3rd or 4th time and love it.

Our money and we a choosy suggest you do the same.

Gertz

I to have been on Emerald and Sapphire but still even with those two I just seemed to find more problems this sailing than ever before. I will have to say when we were on the Emerald we had a nice room off the back of the ship and the weather was beautiful and enjoyed sailing though the Baltic.

I agree the prices on Princess is what keeps drawing us back. I will have to really think the next booking before sail with Princess. We have been on Celebrity and felt it was a little better. I am sure everyone is going to have a different idea. Happy sailing to all of us and where ever our travels take us.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the previous review - all beef in dinning room is disappointing. No variety in buffet and dining room. No mid night buffet. Shows are not interesting at all. I was in the Carribean Princess 5 years ago, it is not as bad as now.

I was on the Sept 15 sailing of the Caribbean Princess. The ship was just lovely. The carpet in the public areas appeared new. Same for my cabin. All of the furniture looked fine. Brand new chairs with ottomans with a large table on the balcony. No complaints here. We had a great cruise. Public rooms were crowded, but not a problem. I always got a seat for the shows and no problem with seating for personal choice dining.

Archived