QM2 Queens vs Princess Grill Suite: Realistically what's the difference?

room010

This topic is an interesting one for me, being able to compare my opinions pre-Queens Grill to my opinions post-Queens Grill.

QG suites are much larger than PG suites (on QM2 anyway - I'm yet to experience the soft touch of a Vista sista). The QG suites somewhat reminded me of a hotel room, whilst the PG suite gives no such impression - you are obviously in a ship's cabin, albeit a lovely one.

The larger size of the QG suite becomes addictive after a while, and for those ladies that travel with an extensive wardrobe (different outfit every night) the space of a QG suite is a minimum requirement.

Pre Queens Grill, I was somewhat mystified as to role of a butler. Having now experienced having a butler I can say that if you eat in your suite quite a bit you'll appreciate the butler setting the table for you and, although I wouldn't swear to it in court, I did think that the wait time for any requests from the butler was much less than the corresponding wait times in PG or Britannia.

The menu in QG is more extensive than PG, there are more options that are available daily such as lobster etc. Basically, the a la carte menu in QG is longer than the one in PG. Reflecting on my QG and PG experience, it's probable that it is easier to go off menu in QG than PG. In QG the maitre d comes around each night to take note of your special orders for the following day. This doesn't happen in PG (well not on the voyages I've done).

Having said that, it is possible to go off menu every night in PG, although (as others have said, this probably depends a lot on your rapport with the staff).

Upon reflection, I do think that QG is the way to go.

I'm curious about the prior comments about the differences between QG & PG being more apparent on the Vista Sistas than QM2.

Judging from the pictures of the PG suites on the Vista Sistas, I does appear that the PG suites on QM2 have better proportions.

Edited by Whitemarsh

... The France had the largest and the best Tourist Class and the smallest First Class ...

This comment encouraged me to look up my souvenirs of my 1973 crossing on the France. We were in Tourist Class, which for the US and Canadian market had just been re-named "Left Bank" - similar to Cunard's re-naming of Tourist as "Transatlantic Class". Even though the huge deck-plan gave a lot of information, there was no breakdown as to the number of passengers carried in each class. So I refer to William Miller's book "Transatlantic Liners 1945 to 1980" which Indicates 501 in First and 1443 in Tourist.

The smallest First Class that I personally travelled in was in Polish Ocean Line's 15,000 ton Stefan Batory which carried a maximum of 39 in 15 cabins (with 734 squashed in tiny Tourist cabins.)

This topic is an interesting one for me, being able to compare my opinions pre-Queens Grill to my opinions post-Queens Grill.

QG suites are much larger than PG suites (on QM2 anyway - I'm yet to experience the soft touch of a Vista sista). The QG suites somewhat reminded me of a hotel room, whilst the PG suite gives no such impression - you are obviously in a ship's cabin, albeit a lovely one.

The larger size of the QG suite becomes addictive after a while, and for those ladies that travel with an extensive wardrobe (different outfit every night) the space of a QG suite is a minimum requirement.

Pre Queens Grill, I was somewhat mystified as to role of a butler. Having now experienced having a butler I can say that if you eat in your suite quite a bit you'll appreciate the butler setting the table for you and, although I wouldn't swear to it in court, I did think that the wait time for any requests from the butler was much less than the corresponding wait times in PG or Britannia.

The menu in QG is more extensive than PG, there are more options that are available daily such as lobster etc. Basically, the a la carte menu in QG is longer than the one in PG. Reflecting on my QG and PG experience, it's probable that it is easier to go off menu in QG than PG. In QG the maitre d comes around each night to take note of your special orders for the following day. This doesn't happen in PG (well not on the voyages I've done).

Having said that, it is possible to go off menu every night in PG, although (as others have said, this probably depends a lot on your rapport with the staff).

Upon reflection, I do think that QG is the way to go.

I'm curious about the prior comments about the differences between QG & PG being more apparent on the Vista Sistas than QM2.

Judging from the pictures of the PG suites on the Vista Sistas, I does appear that the PG suites on QM2 have better proportions.

I found the P-1 we were offered on QV(we asked if any were available..no discount) to be surprisingly small.It's very long & narrow. About like a standard stateroom, just longer from the entry to the balcony. Width was exactly the same as a Brittania stateroom.Of course more luxurious..you know full shower & tub fair sized wardrobe, but not worth the extra $2K it would have cost had we taken it.Then again the food HMMMMM could I have been wrong?We had a handicapped room(no reason, our TA got it for us)The room more resembled a P-1 on QM2. Huge bathroom(for wheelchairs)large shower. Surprisingly small storage space there. The steward provided a stacking storage unit for the bathroom It did the trick.

This is a fascinating discussion. Please keep it going!

Having traveled on the original QE2 in a mid-range first class accommodation back in the very early days and moved both up and down since, I am old enough to cringe at the modern prices and the changes in what goes for service.

I always like to recall Mr. Roger Donaldson, chief wine steward, who stood a few feet from my table and kindly and patiently taught me about wines. An old Cunarder, he was kind and sympathic to a young woman who had no knowledge of the world of wines.

I was one of the many is the USA who hosted him on his retirement grand tour of our country before he went back to England for his retirement in (what must have been) about 1978.

And as I am a small person who does not entertain on board, PG is my choice for travel. The thought of a creepy butler is more than I can stand.

Edited by PennyAgain

Having traveled on the original QE2 in a mid-range first class accommodation back in the very early days and moved both up and down since, I am old enough to cringe at the modern prices and the changes in what goes for service.

I always like to recall Mr. Roger Donaldson, chief wine steward, who stood a few feet from my table and kindly and patiently taught me about wines. An old Cunarder, he was kind and sympathic to a young woman who had no knowledge of the world of wines.

I was one of the many is the USA who hosted him on his retirement grand tour of our country before he went back to England for his retirement in (what must have been) about 1978.

And as I am a small person who does not entertain on board, PG is my choice for travel. The thought of a creepy butler is more than I can stand.

I have not come across any creepy butlers and in fact I found the butler to be particularly helpful in regard to some of the unpublished extras such as arranging crew members to carry all my copious hand luggage for me and assist me through disembarkation, where Cunard then had various other personnel ready to take all my suitcases and hand luggage through Customs and down to a waiting car, so that I did not need to touch any of my luggage at all.

I don't think that Cunard could have done a better job even in the days of first class travel on the old Queen Mary.

I have not come across any creepy butlers and in fact I found the butler to be particularly helpful in regard to some of the unpublished extras such as arranging crew members to carry all my copious hand luggage for me and assist me through disembarkation, where Cunard then had various other personnel ready to take all my suitcases and hand luggage through Customs and down to a waiting car, so that I did not need to touch any of my luggage at all.

I don't think that Cunard could have done a better job even in the days of first class travel on the old Queen Mary.

Agreed, my butler was very nice and very professional.

All of our butlers have been fantastic, very helpful and professional. Roger and Andreas from the QM2, Emily from the QE and Sanu from the QV.

Dont get me wrong its not like having your very own Jeeves, but its still good.

• 9 months later...

Recently home after hitching a short ride during the 2014 World Cruise, Singapore to Dubai. QM2 has lost "White Star" quality service. Cabin steward was great but restaurant steward's leave a lot to better the "corner cafe " service. Like no milk, butter or spreads on breakfast table. Still omissions that happened regularly

• 2 weeks later...

We've had the pleasure of QG. A few times now, and sadly the standards are in decline. I guess with all the other offerings from other cruise lines, they are having to attract people by price rather than being the best.

We choose QG. For the cabin. We like to be at the back and spend plenty of time on the balcony.

The restaurant is very good, but on taste alone the speciality restaurants on ships these days seem to be as good. The position on Vista ships is a bonus though.

Our last trip on QV. Was a little disappointing. The restaurant staff were poor and the food lacked taste. Maybe it's reduced salt that's made a difference. The staff were talking amongst themselves and making a clatter at the serving stations.

The sommelier was lacking in knowledge and finess. On ordering a rather expensive bottle of port it was never decanted and the glasses were the usual rather than fine ones of the past.

This may all sound rather petty, but when you have experienced these small details, it's noticed when they're not there.

The lobster is available daily, but had little taste and poor texture as if defrosted too quickly. The steak Diane cooked beside us looked amazing, but again the taste was lacking.

So to answer the question, it's the cabin that makes the difference. We are going back as the price offered was good and the included on-board spend was enough to try the port again a few times over.

Dont get me wrong its not like having your very own Jeeves, but its still good.

It's part of my vacation not to see this guy for a while :D

Oops I hope he does not read this...

We've had the pleasure of QG. A few times now, and sadly the standards are in decline. I guess with all the other offerings from other cruise lines, they are having to attract people by price rather than being the best.

We choose QG. For the cabin. We like to be at the back and spend plenty of time on the balcony.

The restaurant is very good, but on taste alone the speciality restaurants on ships these days seem to be as good. The position on Vista ships is a bonus though.

Our last trip on QV. Was a little disappointing. The restaurant staff were poor and the food lacked taste. Maybe it's reduced salt that's made a difference. The staff were talking amongst themselves and making a clatter at the serving stations.

The sommelier was lacking in knowledge and finess. On ordering a rather expensive bottle of port it was never decanted and the glasses were the usual rather than fine ones of the past.

This may all sound rather petty, but when you have experienced these small details, it's noticed when they're not there.

The lobster is available daily, but had little taste and poor texture as if defrosted too quickly. The steak Diane cooked beside us looked amazing, but again the taste was lacking.

So to answer the question, it's the cabin that makes the difference. We are going back as the price offered was good and the included on-board spend was enough to try the port again a few times over.

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you on a low salt diet, or are you saying that QG have reduced their use of salt? What port did you order as a matter of interest?

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you on a low salt diet, or are you saying that QG have reduced their use of salt? What port did you order as a matter of interest?

We noticed as well that the ue of salt is reduced. That is a good idea but requieres much better cooking. There you are...

We 'have the pleasure' of QG at least 3x a year.

Standards seem fine to us.

• 2 years later...
The most salient difference between the Queens Grill and the Princess Grill is the standard of the cabin. They just aren't comparable. We find that we spend more time in our cabin on a cruise than we do in our hotel room, so generally opt for the QG. We also love to entertain in our cabin, and that's just not going to happen in the PG. if you opt for a Q7, chances are that you could end up with a Penthouse (Q3/4). If you book a Penthouse, you could end up with a Q1 or Q2. Once you've experienced that, it's hard to go back to the PG.

I equate it to traveling First Class on an aircraft vs Business Class. Or the Ritz Carlton vs the Hilton. Both may be 5 star, but are hardly the same thing at all. If this is an occasional splurge, then I would do it big!

With respect, I don't think Whitemarsh has been in the QG and thus impossible for him to truly offer first hand experience. I rarely post, but did want you to have a balanced viewpoint from someone who has actually experienced everything from Britannia to the Queens Grill Master Suites. There are lots of little unpublished extras that make a Queens Grill experience more memorable. Otherwise, why would we and countless others continue to pay extra for it?

Hopefully some others that have actually experienced the Queen Grill will weigh in with their viewpoints. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time!

Since you have experienced everything from Britannia to the Queens Grill experience, what would you recommend for a family of five? We are looking at the Queen Mary 2 World Cruise and want to make sure we pick the right category. We need connecting rooms and will want to have dinner in our room on occasion.

Since you have experienced everything from Britannia to the Queens Grill experience, what would you recommend for a family of five? We are looking at the Queen Mary 2 World Cruise and want to make sure we pick the right category. We need connecting rooms and will want to have dinner in our room on occasion.

A couple of adjacent Aft Q1 suites would be ideal - they have interconnecting doors and a lovely dining area both in the suite and out on the balcony.

Q1 is the Grand Duplex, do you know if the entry lever Queen's Grill Suite Q7 also has a nice dining area in the suite and on the balcony?

Q4's have a smaller dining table for 4 ( I presume you could get an extra chair) and you could have an adjacent Q5 but I do not believe they are interconnecting, although you could do that through the balcony arrangement. Q7's are essentially for wheelchair accessible.

Look at a ship's map. The suites aft that have adjoining doors are marked. Two of them together would work nicely. There are also some QG cabins that have the same little hash mark along the walls that indicate adjacent cabins with doors that can be opened. I saw six or eight pairs of them on the map. You would have to be very specific in your booking. I think you could swing it with 2 adjoining Q6, but the Q4 would work better.

Edited by orvil