Daft question, Celebration

Never been on a cruise before. Booked this for next year.

Here's the daft question - Is the tap water OK to drink? Understand the ship will be Platinum when we go and says there will be tea and coffee facilities in cabins. We usually buy, or are provided with, bottled water when on holiday.

No question is a silly question! I personally would never drink the tap water on any ship regardless. I understand that they have filteration systems etc but would never chance it. However, if you are using it in the kettle, one boiled, it should be fine. I would use if for hot drinks, but never use it for a glass straight from the tap. Just me being fussy!:)

Hello Tizzy-Jo and welcome to the world of cruising! :) You do realise what you are letting yourself in for don't you? It can be very addictive! :D

According to the Captain, the water is of higher drinking quality than that we have at home. All I can say is that we drink the ordinary water served by waiters at lunch and at dinner and over many cruises haven't had a problem with it. We brush our teeth in the water from the cabin and use it to pop my Stugeron too! :)

Bottled water is chargeable but you can take water on board that you have bought in port which is a lot cheaper.

Don't worry about asking questions - whatever it is I'm sure there will be someone on here who will be able to help. Enjoy your planning - it's all part of the fun! ;)

ships desalinated tap water is purer than mains water in most cities at home, there are very vigorous checks and inspections in place on cruise ships water systems, in fact its fresher and purer than the bottled water most people buy

No question is a silly question! I personally would never drink the tap water on any ship regardless. I understand that they have filteration systems etc but would never chance it. However, if you are using it in the kettle, one boiled, it should be fine. I would use if for hot drinks, but never use it for a glass straight from the tap. Just me being fussy!:)

Better not take ice in your drinks then. :)

So taking water on board is OK but alcohol not OK -is that right?

I do note that drinks packages do not include water

No, you can take water and alcohol on board unlike many other cruise lines. We ofen buy bottled water at local supermarkets and take them on board.

It depends on what you mean as 'drinks package'. If you mean the AI then no water is not included but is offered at a reduced price. Much better to buy on shore.

The wine 'drinks package' for example (you buy a certain number of bottles - you can choose how many - at a better price than buying them one by one) offers a free 1L bottle of water for every bottle of wine purchased in the package. At least that was the set up on Majesty and I believe it's the same on Spirit but may be different on Dream and Celebration (does anyone know if those two also offer 'drinks packages' on board as opposed to the AI deal?). There are different kinds of 'packages' but this isn't the same as the All Inclusive.

In practice you are able to take alcohol on board in small amounts - we generally put a bottle of spirits in our main luggage.

The duty free shop sells major brands and you can take them to your cabin. They appear to have a 20% discount offer on the second evening, so it's a good idea to come prepared for the first night and wait off buying until then.

There is a water and ice dispenser on the lido deck near the terrace grill.

Iced water is provided at evening meals in the main dining room FOC.

There is an ice dispenser on each cabin passageway - we fill up a glass or two each evening and have nice fresh water in the morning.

In practice you are able to take alcohol on board in small amounts - we generally put a bottle of spirits in our main luggage.

The duty free shop sells major brands and you can take them to your cabin. They appear to have a 20% discount offer on the second evening, so it's a good idea to come prepared for the first night and wait off buying until then.

There is a water and ice dispenser on the lido deck near the terrace grill.

Iced water is provided at evening meals in the main dining room FOC.

There is an ice dispenser on each cabin passageway - we fill up a glass or two each evening and have nice fresh water in the morning.

So has the iced water dispenser in the Lido not been removed then? :confused:

I couldnt find a water dispenser on Celebration (back just last monday) - and the waiters were serving glasses of chilled bottled water in both the Lido and main restaurant, not tap water. I must admit I have never drank the tap water from the tap on any ship, although I understand the water dispensers on Destiny used tap water and I did have the odd one of those but the taste isnt pleasant.

So has the iced water dispenser in the Lido not been removed then? :confused:

It wasn't there 2 weeks ago when we were onboard - never saw the ice dispenser; will have to look out for that next time! AND we didn't get iced water at meals - we just got water poured from bottles (it was slightly chilled though!)

A liitle curious. The Thomson Majesty booking form has the option of a drinks package for £207 / party. Seems a lot to me as I drink little but with DW and 2 early teens it may be worthwhile.

However I note some speak of AI on the ships - is that the same as meals (full board) and the drinks package or a different offer that may come up?

A liitle curious. The Thomson Majesty booking form has the option of a drinks package for £207 / party. Seems a lot to me as I drink little but with DW and 2 early teens it may be worthwhile.

However I note some speak of AI on the ships - is that the same as meals (full board) and the drinks package or a different offer that may come up?

As I understand it:

First of all the ship is full board (and more - 24/7 food available - no restrictions! Oh the waist-line! :eek: ) THe AI and drinks packages are quite separate.

I would check that price for the AI - if it is for your whole party I'd say that could be a very good deal especially as it will cover soft drinks and virgin cocktails, cappuccinos, hot chocolates etc. (you can get hot drinks 24/7 from the self-service but if you are in a bar or coffee bar, lounge etc and order a hot drink from the waiters, then you pay for those - but not if you're on AI). But do check carefully what they are offering at that price.

All Inclusive is an arrangement whereby between 10 am - 2am you can get all drinks included in the AI free - you just offer up your ship's card which has AI printed on it to identify you as someone eligible to the drinks without paying. The AI covers a reasonable selection of beers, wines, cocktails, spirits etc although there is a supplement to pay for 'premium' brands/drinks. These are identified clearly on the drinks menu. Although the range and number seems to have reduced a bit over the years (and always used to be better on Dream and Celebration - but they are being brought into line with Majesty and Spirit I believe), there is quite a good selection (unless your favourite tipple isn't included of course!) There are drinks menus published on here if you are interested in specifics.

If you book early on some itineraries you can get this AI deal free but that has to be selected at the time of booking. It often then becomes available at a good price e.g. £69p.p. per week, nearer to departure it is often offered at something in the region of £200 p.p. per week. Everyone in your party has to buy the AI. (In other words, a couple couldn't have just one of you buying it and sharing!) Not sure what the deal is if you have children in your party. I'm sure someone else can help with that.

At one time you couldn't buy this on board but I believe it's been possible more recently (someone else will be able to confirm) - but of course that's likely to be at the full price.

Separate to the AI on Majesty and Spirit a 'Drinks Package' is available to buy on board (not sure about Dream and Celebration - they weren't offering it last time we were on board but that could have changed). Wine waiters will offer you the option to buy this at the dinner table. These have differing quantities of beer or wine (depending on what you choose) at different prices. E.g. 6 bottles of wine - or so many beers at a good price as compared with buying them separately. You get vouchers and just trade them in every time you order a drink and it's knocked off your total. As you can't purchase this until you are on board, you can weigh up how cost effective it would be for your family and choose the best one for you.

Hope that's at least clarified the difference between Full Board/ AI/ Drinks packages - and hope that I've got the basics correct! :eek:

what I meant was they are allowed to drink wine, beer or cider but not spirits

tbh what is included or not included on the ai is a bit of a cunundrum? it can change ship by ship, itinery by itinery, sometimes day by day?

I thought the differnces were between the Louis managed ships (Spirit and Majesty) as compared with those bare-boat charters which apply to Celebration and Dream and therefore under more direct control of Thomson. At one time the Louis managed ships always had a poorer range of cocktails and supplements on others which were included on Celebration and Dream.

But that difference to one side (and I believe they are, or will be brought into line some time soon if not already) I'm not aware of the AI changing itinerary by itinerary or from day to day. Of course a new season may bring some slight modifications and I have been on board when 'happy hours' were offered (but they don't affect AI passengers anyway) but otherwise as far as I know it's not a moveable feast - and would require constant drinks menus to be printed if there was so much alteration.

Is this right - or am I missing something?

Archived