Sailing under bridges

Blamar

Someone on one of the posts here mentioned their favourite bridge to sail under was San Francisco's Golden Gate and that got me thinking. I have sailed under the Bridge of the America's (Panama Canal), Tacoma Narrows (Tacoma, Wash.), Golden Gate (S.F.) and Vancouver's Lion's Gate.

If I were to pick, I would choose the Lion's Gate because of its proximity to such a pretty park and the view of downtown. How about you? What's your fav bridge to see from the sea?

Well, I am a big fan of the Golden Gate - but it is also a thrill to sail under the Coathanger Bridge, in Sydney Harbor.

Then there are the bridges along the Kiel Canal - too low for most medium and larger sized cruise ships. NCL's Dream actually "flips its stack" to fit under those bridges.

Here's a second vote for the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I have a beautiful shot of it from the underside. Amazing detail for a cheap camera from the 80's. :eek:

Of course, the whole of Sydney didn't make a bad backdrop for this neat bridge. Next time, I plan to make the climb. I have seen it from underneath, now I am aiming for the top!

Having lived in Vancouver during my high school and university years, one might say I'm biased.

I've sailed under both the Golden Gate (SFO) and Lions' Gate (YVR) Bridges.

For sheer magnificence my vote goes to the Golden Gate Bridsge...but for beauty and scenery the vote definitely goes to the Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver, because of the close proximity of Third Beach, Stanley Park, Ambleside and the North Shore mountains.

Ciao for now!!!

I have got to agree with Captainron in that the Golden gate is magnificant but for scenery the Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver is beautiful. Of course I am a little bit of favoring the Golden Gate especially very early in the morning coming into the S.F. bay with lights of the city still on.

Marilyn

Do you sail under Lion's gate from both Canada Place and Ballentyne? (Sorry if this is a silly question; I haven't been to Vancouver yet----will be sailing from there 5/28!)

Once we sailed out of Tampa, and the bridge there is also pretty incredible---do not know the name of it...

You betcha from either pier. There's only one way out of Burrard Inlet and the harbour, and either direction (in or out) you have to go under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

When you're leaving Vancouver, as you go under the bridge, Stanley Park will be on your port side and coming up on the starboard side will be Ambleside Beach and West Vancouver.

Stanley Park was donated to the City of Vancouver by Lord Stanley for I can't remember how many years, and yes this is the same Lord Stanley who first presented the Stanley Cup for hockey supremacy in Canada (not the NHL as Gary Bettman would like to have us believe).

Sailing under the Lion's Gate Bridge you enter English Bay and from there you will enter Georgia Straight which runs north/south by turning north and heading up past Campbell River on your way to Alaska.

Have a great cruise, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Derf,

I imagine there are a few, such as the tunnels in the harbour at NYC/Manhatten.

Although I have not cruised that part of the world, even tho' I lived there in my young years, I would say that cruising the English Channel over the "Chunnel" would have to be a major one to do...just to say that you cruised over it.

Does that give you the same feeling as having taken the train thru it?

Ciao for now!!!

Verrazano Narrows has been the most dramatic for us so far.

My dad helped construct the VN bridge,I have a medallion that they gave him when it was completed.He also worked on the NY Worlds Fair in 1964 and I think I have a medallion for that too.

We sailed under the GG bridge coming home from a Panama Canal cruise and it was awesome!

Once we sailed out of Tampa, and the bridge there is also pretty incredible---do not know the name of it...

I believe it is the Sunshine bridge. Something to drive over, as well!!

Despite the fact that we've motored over(cars) and under(small motor boat) the Verrazano many, many times, crusing under that bridge was so tremendous, not just leaving NY, but returning, too.

Second was probably Golden Gate, third Lion's.

I'm still waiting for Sydney ;)

I-275. The Sunshine Skyway. Completed in 1987. Replaced a lower "causeway" type bridge when in 1980, the original was hit by a freighter during a thunderstorm. 1000 feet of bridge fell to the bottom of the bay, and 35 car and bus passengers were killed instantly, as a result of driving off the broken section. Connects St.Petersburg and Bradenton.

I-275. The Sunshine Skyway. Completed in 1987. Replaced a lower "causeway" type bridge when in 1980, the original was hit by a freighter during a thunderstorm. 1000 feet of bridge fell to the bottom of the bay, and 35 car and bus passengers were killed instantly, as a result of driving off the broken section. Connects St.Petersburg and Bradenton.

A toll collector confirmed that something terrible had happened on the bridge but didn't know what

from

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/11591337.htm

Is the Skyway bridge really safe?

from

http://www.aggregateresearch.com/asphalt/article.asp?id=6335

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for Sydney Harbour. So Fantasic it was cruising under. I know call Sydney home.

And it was last year I climbed to the top for a sunset climb. Honestly that view was the most spectacular I have ever seen, the summer sun setting in the back looking out onto the harbour and all the boats and the fames opera house.

May of last year we were approaching Osaka Japan late at night on the Pacific Princess. Ahead of us was a neclace of light stretched across the water. After about an hour we passed under the Akashi Kaikyo Bridge. This is currently the longest supension bridge nearly 4 km long with a nearly a 2 KM center span.

There are some night photographs on the following site.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashi-Kaikyo_Bridge

Archived