Sailing under bridges

Blamar

I live in NYC, and have cruised under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge several times. To me, it's the sign that I'm either leaving or arriving home (a bad thing?). But, I've crossed that bridge many more times, so some of that novelty is wearing off. I've also cruised under the Sydney Harbour Bridge a couple of times; however, my last cruise down under was on the STAR PRINCESS, which doesn't fit! I suppose that, with a newer cruise terminal which avoids having to sail under the bridge, you will (almost?) never be able to sail under that bridge again! :( The Pan-American Bridge (in Panama) is also an interesting sight. However, for bridges, I would have to say that, for sheer number, transiting the Kiel Canal (in Northern Germany) wins hands down. However, this is another tough one, since most currrent ships won't fit (I did it on the old PACIFIC PRINCESS).

Once we sailed out of Tampa, and the bridge there is also pretty incredible---do not know the name of it...

I believe it is the Sunshine bridge. Something to drive over, as well!!

Driving over it has always scared the heck out of me. We used to live in the Tampa area and drove over the Sunshine Bridge every time we visited relatives in Sarasota. Had to turn the radio off and make the kids stop talking until we passed the crest and started down.

My favorites (not necessarily in order):

Sydney Harbor Bridge (technicallly did not sail under this as we were berthed at the Circular Quay which is almost but not quite under the bridge)

Queen Juliana Bridge in Willemstad, Curacao. We were on the Crystal Harmony, which just fit under the bridge. The captain did a very tight 360 beyond it and then we docked next to the floating bridge.

Golden Gate in San Francisco

Lion's Gate in Vancouver

Bridge of the America's in Panama

The most spectacular bridge we have sailed under was the Confederation Bridge approaching Prince Edward Island, Canada. The bridge is approximately 13 km / 9 miles long, and it can be seen from quite a distance. It's also quite pretty, with lots of archways rising from the water.

Archived