Confused about using birth certificate ...

Veneerdds

...The original is the birth certificate that I receive from the state (or in some instances other government agency). A copy is one that I make of that document. It really is quite that simple.

Well, I think you're misreading it and over-simplifying things. I don't think it is "that simple" at all.

Of course Carnival isn't trying to trick anyone into bringing the wrong documentation. So why advise people that they can just make a copy to take to the pier when they're risking being denied boarding?

If you have an original, just take it! Leave your home-made copy at home.

No it is not....my original is stamped 'original' with a raised state seal, one was issued to me at birth and a duplicate is held in the vital records office. When I need additional copies I can request them from vital records and they are stamped as 'certified copies' with a raised state seal.

Then I can see why you read the regulations as you do, but my state doesn't mark the birth certificates that way.

Well, I think you're misreading it and over-simplifying things. I don't think it is "that simple" at all.

Of course Carnival isn't trying to trick anyone into bringing the wrong documentation. So why advise people that they can just make a copy to take to the pier when they're risking being denied boarding?

If you have an original, just take it! Leave your home-made copy at home.

First explain "suitable quality copy" as on the CCL website (if they mean copy as outlined by ray98 what's the point of adding "suitable quality" in front of "copy"). Many people bring copies of their birth certificates as back up, or they scan them into their computer. I have read at least 3 threads where the poster forgot their birth certificate and someone from home faxed a copy to the port and they were allowed to board.

The only reason that I am mentioning this and participating in this debate is this- if people think that only the original will do then when something happens to said original they won't think of other ways of obtaining the document, so they may give up and not even show up at the port. They won't think about having back up copies available, or calling someone back home to have it faxed or what have you.

While I would prefer to bring the original with me if given the choice between showing up with nothing or showing up with a plain photocopy I would pick photocopy anyday.

I had this same argument a few weeks ago when someone was giving another this opinion and unfortunately I think they were left with bad advice.

I don't think that 'copy' is what people keep taking it to mean. The 'original' would be the one provided after birth and a 'copy' would be any additional duplicates provided by the state government records which would be certified and stamped with a seal.

If you take a simple Xerox copy you disable all the security features such as if the state seal is legit, if there is a raised seal or if the paper is water marked.

I am afraid this advice is going to get more and more people stranded at the dock.

Maybe Carnival should just change the wording to "duplicate" instead of "copy". I know exactly what you are saying because before I recieved my passport, I had to order a new BC, and it was stamped copy as well. But the word copy can confuse people. But i have never heard anyone say, "I'm going to the duplicate machine. Besides, how exactly are you going to xerox a "copy" if you do not have one issued to you? So just take that one to the port.

Then I can see why you read the regulations as you do, but my state doesn't mark the birth certificates that way.

First explain "suitable quality copy" as on the CCL website (if they mean copy as outlined by ray98 what's the point of adding "suitable quality" in front of "copy"). Many people bring copies of their birth certificates as back up, or they scan them into their computer. I have read at least 3 threads where the poster forgot their birth certificate and someone from home faxed a copy to the port and they were allowed to board.

The only reason that I am mentioning this and participating in this debate is this- if people think that only the original will do then when something happens to said original they won't think of other ways of obtaining the document, so they may give up and not even show up at the port. They won't think about having back up copies available, or calling someone back home to have it faxed or what have you.

While I would prefer to bring the original with me if given the choice between showing up with nothing or showing up with a plain photocopy I would pick photocopy anyday.

I would agree, I would use a xerox copy as a last ditch effort. But I just would'nt confuse people into thinking this will "for sure "work. It might work for one cruise but not the next, it really depends on the Carnival person you are dealing with at that time, or even the port. Just because one will accept it, does not mean the next will. But again, as a last ditch effort, yes i would try it.

Photo copies are acceptable.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/p/133853/694088.aspx

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/167859.aspx

Birth Certificate Information

An original Birth Certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A suitable, quality copy of a state, county or vital statistics issued birth certificate

o A clear and readable Xerox copy is acceptable (document does not need to be notarized or certified)

o Birth Certificate Card is acceptable

o Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at:http://www.vitalchek.com

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

Photo Identification

A Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. Sources of Photo I.D:

Driver’s License

Driver’s Permit

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Photocopied BC's are a gray area. You can read the regs either way. What matters is what the cruise terminal agent you happen to see accepts on that day. Often times this person doesn't work for the cruise line or the government, and it's impossible to know with certainty what they will accept. So the prudent thing is to bring a govt-issued certified copy of the BC. On the other hand, a photocopied BC is better than nothing. YMMV.

Note: Hospital BC's are not acceptable, nor are Peurto Rican BC's issued prior to 7/1/2010.

Archived