Summit or Reflection?

rainbowbeach

We are looking at a Celebrity cruise next November 2013. The price difference between the two ships is not that significant (only $150 total for 2 people more for the Reflection), so I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which one to choose? Outside of the different itineraries, what other pros and cons to choosing either can you share? Thanks!

I'm personally a fan of the M-class ships. I've sailed on all of them now and just got off Summit two weeks ago. She is in great shape and the crew was wonderful. I enjoyed the cruise immensely.

I did Equinox (sister to Reflection) in 2009. It was the first passenger sailing to Norway and I had a wonderful time on her but missed the feel of the m-class ships. I think that the s-class is much less personal and the decor was a bit blah IMO. Lots of blue and brown at least on Equinox. Maybe Reflection will have a bit more pizzazz.

Some thoughts: Does being brand spanking new matter to you? Choose an S class. Do you prefer a smaller (albeit not small) ship that is a bit more comfortable and has a more comfortable design (IMHO). Choose an M class. S class is bigger - do you consider that an advantage or disadvantage (alot of walking; more people). S class has more specialty restaurant options if you care about that. M class has a T-pool - a favorite of many. S class has an adults only pool that looks nice but is cold and no jets. S class has more entertainment options at night, but at the same time the venues are smaller - advantage or disadvantage? S class production shows are a little more elaborate I think, but overall Celebrity does not excel in this regard on either class. In general, I think service and food quality are a wash - they vary slightly by ship and by cruise but no discernable overall difference in classes. If you like CC cabins, M class CC cabins are bigger in size. If you prefer Sky Suites or AQ, S class has more of them to choose from.

Two points to clarify. Reflection will be a year old in November 2013. On Summit, CC staterooms are larger than standard staterooms on that ship but virtually the same size as standard staterooms on Reflection.

Two points to clarify. Reflection will be a year old in November 2013. On Summit, CC staterooms are larger than standard staterooms on that ship but virtually the same size as standard staterooms on Reflection.

Thanks. What about the size of the new Aqua Class rooms that were built?

Thanks. What about the size of the new Aqua Class rooms that were built?

The standard Aqua Class staterooms are the same size as the standard balcony and Concierge Class staterooms. The Aqua Class Suites, however, are about 100 sq ft larger, with a balcony about 20 sq ft larger. For sailings in November 2013, standard Aqua Class staterooms are about 25% more expensive than standard balcony staterooms. Aqua Class suites are about 150% more expensive.

I will personally never sail on the Reflection. They have added an extra deck of cabins and have not changed the layout or size of the public rooms. I've lived this nightmare before on the Caribbean Princess which has an extra deck of cabins (Riviera Deck) from the original Grand class ships (Grand, Golden, Star Princess). The entire ship always felt crowded. The pool felt crowded, the restaurants felt crowded - especially the Lido - and the theater was so crowded you had to get a seat at 7:30 for an 8:30 show.

I sailed on the Equinox this year and she was the peak of perfection, but an extra 200 ppl (double occupancy) on board would have definitely been noticed.

The Summit on the other hand is well laid out, refurbished, and perfectly proportioned IMHO. I would highly recommend her.

I have to say that they have also added many passengers to the refurbished M-class ships. It is only noticeable around the pool area but it is noticeable. However, I guess that this is the only way the cruise lines can turn a profit. They've had to reduce fares and people don't appear to be spending as much onboard.

Summit now has added more cabins since the refurbishments to the M-class ships. That equals an additional 120 passengers. The cabins were added on deck 3 (17 added) and on deck 11 (43 cabins added)

I will personally never sail on the Reflection. They have added an extra deck of cabins and have not changed the layout or size of the public rooms. I've lived this nightmare before on the Caribbean Princess which has an extra deck of cabins (Riviera Deck) from the original Grand class ships (Grand, Golden, Star Princess). The entire ship always felt crowded. The pool felt crowded, the restaurants felt crowded - especially the Lido - and the theater was so crowded you had to get a seat at 7:30 for an 8:30 show.

I sailed on the Equinox this year and she was the peak of perfection, but an extra 200 ppl (double occupancy) on board would have definitely been noticed.

The Summit on the other hand is well laid out, refurbished, and perfectly proportioned IMHO. I would highly recommend her.

The misinformation on this site is sometimes absolutely mind boggling! :eek:

They did not add a full extra deck of cabins as you imply!!!!! The raised the center 1/3 portion of the upper two levels - the pool area and the deck above. The remaining 2/3 of these decks have not been modified. And yes they added some cabins there and elsewhere - a grand total of seventy two of them, actually. But in the process they lengthened the ship about 8 feet and widened it by about three feet. Celebrity Reflection will offer 245 more loungers on its expanded pool deck to suit the increased overall guest capacity, as well as 45 additional seats in the Celebrity Theater, 118 in Oceanview Café, 24 additional seats each in Blu and in Tuscan Grille, 4 more in Qsine, and 40 additional seats in the main dining room. All of this information have been readily available to anyone who wants the facts instead of reacting to assumptions and shouting "the sky is falling" as a result.

If you still refuse to sail on Reflection due to your misinformed worries about overcrowding, that is fine with those of us who will - it means one less passenger "crowding" us as we enjoy ourselves. :D

Archived