Puerto Limon-4th time-any new ideas??

Travel To Be Free

• 2 weeks later...
Other than the canals, ziplining and Playa Bonita, is there anything to do at this port??? Haven't gone the aerial team.... is this a must-do? Who can do at a decent price?

Is there anything I may be missing at this port?

When was your last time to Playa Bonita? The water for swimming isn't great but at least it's a beach. We had planned to rent a taxi to stay with us at Player Bonita while back again in Puerto Limon a couple of years ago ... but our bar tenders on the ship told us it was no longer a safe place so we did not.

Wondering if you or anyone else has been to Playa Bonita recently?

~~~~~~~

• 2 months later...

We are wondering the same for 1/2 day as we have been to Costa Rica a couple times but only Puerto Limon once (Puntarenas the other time). I thought the Sloth Sanctuary would be interesting and fun, but Dh is less enthused because he has "seen sloths" already during our previous visit and tour.

How close are Puerto Viejo, Playa Cocles, Cahuita National Park to Puerto Limon? Is it easy to get a taxi to one of these beaches and towns/park or visit another nearby place? Any other suggestions from Puerto Limon for 1/2 day? We will be there on a Sunday in January.

Puerto Limon itself didn't look too interesting (am I missing something?) although we will probably want some time to check the Internet there.

We are looking for something interesting to occupy us for just 1/2 day, so that we have time to enjoy the ship when others are off and time for Internet in town.

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...
Other than the canals, ziplining and Playa Bonita, is there anything to do at this port??? Haven't gone the aerial team.... is this a must-do? Who can do at a decent price?

Is there anything I may be missing at this port?

the jaguar rescue center. probably similar to the sloth sanctuary, but with more than sloths.

the rescue center rehabilitates injured and abused jungle animals with the goal of releasing them back into the wild. an amazing place, truly angels on earth. my time here was an amazing experience. we went into the enclosure with howler and spider monkeys. a few of the monkeys decided to climb on us and i ended up holding a mother monkey and her baby. we also saw deer, birds, hawks, an owl, an ocelot, frogs, snakes and sloths. i'll never forget my time there.

When was your last time to Playa Bonita? The water for swimming isn't great but at least it's a beach. We had planned to rent a taxi to stay with us at Player Bonita while back again in Puerto Limon a couple of years ago ... but our bar tenders on the ship told us it was no longer a safe place so we did not.

Wondering if you or anyone else has been to Playa Bonita recently?

~~~~~~~

i was at playa bonita a week or so ago. i was there with 8 others from the ship and an independent tour guide. i felt safe at the restaurant and ventured onto the beach by myself, left my stuff on the sand and waded in the water (i kept a close eye on my things though). there's a few questionable characters hanging out by the bar, but it was mostly families with kids relaxing on the beach. if you plan to eat or drink at the bar, bring small bills as change was an issue.

Puerto Limon itself didn't look too interesting (am I missing something?) although we will probably want some time to check the Internet there.

Kathy

puerto limon definitely isn't touristy once you get out of the ship area. it's a small city area with shopping for locals. my husband and i got back to the ship from our independent tour early, so we dropped our valuables in our cabin and spent a couple of hours walking around puerto limon. we ate at a couple of carts, went into a few stores and just enjoyed exploring somewhere different. we were able to get by with the small amount of spanish i know.

i was at playa bonita a week or so ago. i was there with 8 others from the ship and an independent tour guide. i felt safe at the restaurant and ventured onto the beach by myself, left my stuff on the sand and waded in the water (i kept a close eye on my things though). there's a few questionable characters hanging out by the bar, but it was mostly families with kids relaxing on the beach. if you plan to eat or drink at the bar, bring small bills as change was an issue.

Absolutely don't go without a tour guide/taxi driver staying with you the entire time. It's the only beach but do keep safe.

On our last port stop there ... bar tenders on the ship strongly suggested we NOT go to Playa Bonita any longer.

~~~~

Absolutely don't go without a tour guide/taxi driver staying with you the entire time. It's the only beach but do keep safe.

On our last port stop there ... bar tenders on the ship strongly suggested we NOT go to Playa Bonita any longer.

~~~~

Does anyone know if we need to exercise the same cautions for Puerto Viejo and Playa Cocles?

Wish we could go to the Jaguar Center, but I believe it will be closed on Sunday when we will be there.

Does anyone know if we need to exercise the same cautions for Puerto Viejo and Playa Cocles?

Wish we could go to the Jaguar Center, but I believe it will be closed on Sunday when we will be there.

if you dont mind going with others, see if anyone on your roll call is interested. the jaguar rescue center will open for enough people. i went on a sunday and there was a total of 9 people that went together. we were three seperate groups of travelers that found each other on cruise critic.

if you dont mind going with others, see if anyone on your roll call is interested. the jaguar rescue center will open for enough people. i went on a sunday and there was a total of 9 people that went together. we were three seperate groups of travelers that found each other on cruise critic.

They talked about it on the rollcall but it appeared local guides were discouraging or iffy about its opening. Dh isn't interested in the Sloth Sanctuary because we have already seen a number of sloths.

Kathy

Archived