Cabo Glass Bottom Boat Hustlers: Give me your experience please

twindaddy

Hi group,

We will be sailing into Cabo on Carnival in December, last time on Disney we did the dolphin swim one day and shopped the next. This time around I want to do a ride out to the Los Arco and maybe chill at Lovers Beach. A few questions:

What is the going rate for a boat ride for a family of five (me, wife, two kids, grandma). Can we book a boat to ourselves? I dont want to get screwed, but also I want to pay a reasonable price, the guys working the docks have families too. Give me your thoughts and what you have paid, if you dont mind. I have heard the farther down the dock you go the cheaper the prices, I might walk down to the dolphin center and inquire down there.

How long are the rides? If my girls are having a blast feeding the fish (likely), can I pay the driver for more time and tortillas for the fish? Will they take you anywhere else besides the Los Arcos area?

If we stop a lovers beach, how bad are the vendors there? The same as Mendano?

Thanks!

Hi group,

We will be sailing into Cabo on Carnival in December, last time on Disney we did the dolphin swim one day and shopped the next. This time around I want to do a ride out to the Los Arco and maybe chill at Lovers Beach. A few questions:

What is the going rate for a boat ride for a family of five (me, wife, two kids, grandma). Can we book a boat to ourselves? I dont want to get screwed, but also I want to pay a reasonable price, the guys working the docks have families too. Give me your thoughts and what you have paid, if you dont mind. I have heard the farther down the dock you go the cheaper the prices, I might walk down to the dolphin center and inquire down there.

How long are the rides? If my girls are having a blast feeding the fish (likely), can I pay the driver for more time and tortillas for the fish? Will they take you anywhere else besides the Los Arcos area?

If we stop a lovers beach, how bad are the vendors there? The same as Mendano?

Thanks!

For a group of five in your own boat, I would expect to pay around ten to twelve dollars per person. If you are going to ask the driver to do a lot of extra stuff, I would pay more or give him a nice tip. They will let you off at Lover's beach and return to pick you up at (or near)a time you want to return.

There are no facilities at Lover's beach and you will not see many if any vendors.

If you want to go to Medano beach, they will take you there. The cost to return to the marina by water taxi from Medano is two or three dollars per person.

The ride to the arch with stops at the sights enroute and return to the dock will take around an hour unless you want to spend more time anywhere. You should be specific with the driver about what you want to do, and adjust the price accordingly.

As you said, they have families to feed.

If you go to Medano Beach, be aware you will have to dismount the taxi into possibly knee deep water with a current, so Grandma needs to be limber. There are guys that help with the mount and dismount, please give them a little something.

There will be lots of vendors on Medano Beach but a simple "No Gracias" will send them on.

It's been our experience that the panga (water taxi) guys will be most reasonable and accommodating. Once, we ran out of tortillas, and our guy flagged down another water taxi to get more.

Personally, if it were me, I would grab a water taxi at the docks, take a tour of the Arch, sea lions, Lover's Beach and Divorce Beach, then have them drop me off at Medano (keep in mind that at any of the beaches you will have to step off in ankle/knee deep water, but even with my fake knee, I can handle it okay), then enjoy Medano. Cold drinks, great (and inexpensive) food, rest rooms (and "rest rooms" should be hi-lighted!), and a great "people watching" experience. Yes, the vendors are there, but they will almost always wander away with a simple "No Gracias". Who knows, if you spend a moment checking the vendor's wares, you might find a treasure!

The return to the cruise docks via water taxi will cost you $2-3us pp, or, you can grab a land taxi for about $12 for up to six people, and you will get to see some of Cabo that you might otherwise not have a chance to see.

If you do go to Lover's beach stay on that side. The other beach, on the Pacific side, is very dangerous.

The beach isn't dangerous but if you decide to get in the water it can be dangerous because of the current. I would suggest you at least walk over to that side to look at the view.

• 2 weeks later...
It's been our experience that the panga (water taxi) guys will be most reasonable and accommodating. Once, we ran out of tortillas, and our guy flagged down another water taxi to get more.

Personally, if it were me, I would grab a water taxi at the docks, take a tour of the Arch, sea lions, Lover's Beach and Divorce Beach, then have them drop me off at Medano (keep in mind that at any of the beaches you will have to step off in ankle/knee deep water, but even with my fake knee, I can handle it okay), then enjoy Medano. Cold drinks, great (and inexpensive) food, rest rooms (and "rest rooms" should be hi-lighted!), and a great "people watching" experience. Yes, the vendors are there, but they will almost always wander away with a simple "No Gracias". Who knows, if you spend a moment checking the vendor's wares, you might find a treasure!

The return to the cruise docks via water taxi will cost you $2-3us pp, or, you can grab a land taxi for about $12 for up to six people, and you will get to see some of Cabo that you might otherwise not have a chance to see.

Good, useful info....thanks for this post...

Archived