Cyclists beware - Carnival Cruise Line prohibits bicycles on any kind

kahtrav

Two tires and cranky? OK, having worked and owned a bike shop since 1963 I get this one.

It was the first punster who started this vicious cycle

and kicked me into high gear. :)

The mods spoke to me about being a thread derailleur and

want to stem it. They say it's not helpful to make a thread

fork into different topics and I'm trying to pad my post count.

I'm sorry, but I can't chainge especially when I'm on a roll.

Don't lose your grip and report me if you can't handle it.

But if I get banned those are just the brakes.

Edited by Scott34787

Europe is very popular with bike tours and trekkers, Spain included. I bet there are places to rent for 6 weeks, of course it's nice to have a bike that is fit to your specifications. OP searched every cruise line about being able to take a bike on a ship and picked the 1 that does not permit this, must research and read the fine print.

What about unicycles? ;)

Tom

On one of my cruises, either in 2002 or 2004, I saw a guy riding a unicycle down the hall. As an avid cyclist I stopped him and talked to him about it. He said he brings it to ride around the port shops.

Not sure if that was before the no bike rule was instated, but I would imagine they wouldn't allow it today.

Just a note - check out http://www.bikefriday.com - these bikes are intended and built to spec. for touring. We have taken them to many European countries as well as New Zealand, Australia and several islands here and there - no issue with countries, customs, etc. Also, since we don't bring huge suitcases full of clothes, our bikes do NOT present additional luggage (or weight) for anyone or for the ship.

You know, I understand this is CCL policy - just that to have a policy that is out-of-sync with the rest of the industry with no rhyme or reason was frustrating. Unless I'm bringing something unsafe or illegal and it's not additional luggage, doesn't seem like it should matter. I couldn't use their voucher since none of their ships are bike friendly and that's how I travel, so I asked for another option and once there was someone who could make that decision in the office, they chose to do that. I do appreciate that decision, but thought I should at least let cyclists know the situation on Carnival so others don't make the mistake I made.

Edited by kahtrav

I appreciate your posting, Kahtrav. Even though I do not travel with bikes, I think those that do should be aware of CCL's bureaucratic rule. (And I hate bureaucracies!)

I also applaud you for pursuing this with the cruise line and I only wish you had been able to get a straight answer from them. I am also one who "tilts at windmills" because I believe that if nobody questions rules/decisions, then those that make the decisions think they can do whatever they want, whenever they want.

Even though you are not going to take the cruise, I hope that you will follow up on your telephone conversations by writing a letter to the appropriate person at CCL. See this link from travel consumer advocate, Christopher Elliott, for more info:

http://onyoursi.de/wiki/cruise-line/carnival/

Glad carnival don't allow bikes on ships.. Not saying you would, but some would abuse bikes and I for one don't care to see them on board..

And no way would I miss my vacation because of a bike..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I thought I read that golf clubs were prohibited. Are they allowed?

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

Miscellaneous Concerns:

• Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, golf clubs, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors, Boogie Boards (no more than 42 Inches in length and stored in stateroom).

Just a note - check out http://www.bikefriday.com - these bikes are intended and built to spec. for touring. We have taken them to many European countries as well as New Zealand, Australia and several islands here and there - no issue with countries, customs, etc. Also, since we don't bring huge suitcases full of clothes, our bikes do NOT present additional luggage (or weight) for anyone or for the ship.

You know, I understand this is CCL policy - just that to have a policy that is out-of-sync with the rest of the industry with no rhyme or reason was frustrating. Unless I'm bringing something unsafe or illegal and it's not additional luggage, doesn't seem like it should matter. I couldn't use their voucher since none of their ships are bike friendly and that's how I travel, so I asked for another option and once there was someone who could make that decision in the office, they chose to do that. I do appreciate that decision, but thought I should at least let cyclists know the situation on Carnival so others don't make the mistake I made.

I think it is great that 1. You posted this little known fact about CCL not allowing bicycles. Even if one person on this board benefits from the situation, it was worthwhile. 2. CCL gave you your deposit back. That in itself is a small miracle!! 3. My feeling is that- once upon a time- CCL may have had a litigation with a bike involved. That is all it takes for a rule to be set in place. I can just see someone walking their bike down the gangplank to a port, tripping with/over the bike, and CCL gets sued. Again - glad it all worked out for you.

Why?

She got her money back and the cruise is cancelled.

Carnival is free to set their own rules. If you don't like it sail elsewhere. Why create additional aggravation beating a dead horse?

I don't just live within the confines of policies I help them develop and evolve.

OP: https://www.facebook.com/pathlesspedaled has picked up your discussion about CCL policies on the touring bikes.

OP, thanks for the info. I'd never have thought about a cruise line not allowing bicycles. I've taken transatlantic flights on BA where my "one free piece of sporting equipment" was my folding bike. I'd have assumed that if an airline will carry a folding bike for free that it would be welcome on a cruise ship.

Haven't really come across a place -- not even on the underground or on trains -- where bikes were a problem. Sometimes they'll ask they be put in special storage compartments, but that's it.

Sorry you've had the hassle, but thanks for passing along the odd Carnival restriction.

I appreciate your posting, Kahtrav. Even though I do not travel with bikes, I think those that do should be aware of CCL's bureaucratic rule. (And I hate bureaucracies!) ......... I only wish you had been able to get a straight answer from them.

I also found the OP's posting very interesting. But I have read and re-read the thread, and seem to be missing where the rule was shown to be just bureaucratic. Can't figure out how Grad knows this.

As far as a straight answer, OP was shown that it is a rule in the contract. How much straighter an answer can one get? I suspect it comes back to those who believe a corporation must explain the basis for their rules to anyone who asks.

I personally go along with the idea that this has something to do with our litigious society. My conjecture is that there were multiple incidents in previous times where passengers rode their bikes on the decks. Still, it is most odd that only Carnival seems to have taken this action.

I also found the OP's posting very interesting. But I have read and re-read the thread, and seem to be missing where the rule was shown to be just bureaucratic. Can't figure out how Grad knows this.

As far as a straight answer, OP was shown that it is a rule in the contract. How much straighter an answer can one get? I suspect it comes back to those who believe a corporation must explain the basis for their rules to anyone who asks.

I personally go along with the idea that this has something to do with our litigious society. My conjecture is that there were multiple incidents in previous times where passengers rode their bikes on the decks. Still, it is most odd that only Carnival seems to have taken this action.

My guess is that it has something more to do with the excursion contracts that Carnival has in the ports.

Interesting... don't know why Carnival won't let you bring them onboard in a suitcase and store them for you so that they are sure you won't use them, but on the othe hand, good to know for future use if someone wants to cancel their cruise... just ask if you can bring your bicycle with you and when they say no... say "ok, can I get my deposit back" !!!!

Personally, I think its a stupid rule and think they should allow you to bring it onboard as long as you don't ride it onboard...

Interesting... don't know why Carnival won't let you bring them onboard in a suitcase and store them for you so that they are sure you won't use them, but on the othe hand, good to know for future use if someone wants to cancel their cruise... just ask if you can bring your bicycle with you and when they say no... say "ok, can I get my deposit back" !!!!

Personally, I think its a stupid rule and think they should allow you to bring it onboard as long as you don't ride it onboard...

So buy a few cruise ships start your own cruise line and allow bikes or anything else to be brought onboard. If you own the ship you can make your own stupid rules!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I cruise with my bicycles all the time on NCL now. I love having them in the ports.

CCL does provide bicycles for their crew, which seems to be a little bit of a double standard. Maybe they trust their crew more than their passengers? I haven't cruised CCL since I found out NCL allows me to cruise with my bicycles, and I've cruised both lines more that 15 times.

I asked on Sun Princess cruise a few years ago about folding bikes and was told that fit it fits under the bed you can bring anything you like and waq told it was a good idea for lots of the ports On a later cruise I noted some of the staff used bikes on their port visits So p[erhaps Princess is the cruise line for you