Hurricane Leslie Headed to Bermuda

ahecht

Hurricane Leslie is looking like it's going to hit Bermuda this weekend. There's only a 25% chance of hurricane-force winds hitting the island, but there's a 75% chance of tropical storm winds. Looks like, at the very least, the NCL Dawn might have to spend an extra day or two at sea before arriving.

Hurricane Leslie is looking like it's going to hit Bermuda this weekend. There's only a 25% chance of hurricane-force winds hitting the island, but there's a 75% chance of tropical storm winds. Looks like, at the very least, the NCL Dawn might have to spend an extra day or two at sea before arriving.

I read the Dawn is visiting the Bahamas instead this weekend.

Wind and surf are already picking up in Bermuda. http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120905/NEWS/709059949

Leslie is such a big storm, you don't want to be anywhere near her (and why is she Leslie? Lesley is the female spelling) - I don't want to be anywhere near her but, unlike the cruise lines, I don't have much choice.

The high surf and storm surge will probably make a mess of the beaches unfortunately; they'll come back but maybe not before next spring.

PS It may be showing 25% chance of hurricane force winds now, give it a couple of days and NOAA will likely be showing closer to 100% chance ... sigh ...

JollyJones,

Everyone on Explorer, due at your beautiful island a week from today, is expressing concern about our cruise (selfishly), but also about you and your fellow Bermudians. Please know that we are sincerely hoping you will all be safe and ‘weather the storm’ with minimal damage. All our good vibrations are heading your way.

Sue & Den

Thank you for your concern,

We here in Bermuda are taking all the precautions before Leslie Hits, Schools are closed on Friday, Boats are being taken out of the water, homes are getting boarded up... lots of prep work..

Hopefully Leslie will be nice and spare us......

This is all over the Bermuda local news - skip down to mention of the DAWN

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120905/NEWS/709059949

Cruise ship agents are also weighing up alternative destinations. The Norwegian Dawn is due in from Boston at 11am on Sunday.

Vice President of Maritime Operations at Meyer Agencies, Joe Semos said: “Tentative arrangements are being made for her to go to the Bahamas instead of Bermuda this weekend.

“We will know for sure by Friday when the ship boards in Boston,” he said.

It only says that tentative arrangements are being made, which makes it sound like NCL is just creating a contingency plan for now.

Leslie is such a big storm, you don't want to be anywhere near her (and why is she Leslie? Lesley is the female spelling) - I don't want to be anywhere near her but, unlike the cruise lines, I don't have much choice.

The high surf and storm surge will probably make a mess of the beaches unfortunately; they'll come back but maybe not before next spring.

PS It may be showing 25% chance of hurricane force winds now, give it a couple of days and NOAA will likely be showing closer to 100% chance ... sigh ...

First of all, best of luck to you Bermuda and be SAFE!

We are due to arrive next Wednesday on the Explorer and I was wondering since we will probably have to have alternate plans for our days there, are the caves affected in way from hurricanes? Our original plans were to go to Horseshoe Bay on Wednesday when we arrive, but if we aren't able to go there I thought the caves might be a good place to go if they are open.

When you mention the beaches, do they keep them closed for a certain amount of time after a hurricane or can you still go there, just not to swim??

This is our first trip to Bermuda and we are really looking forward to it, do you have any recommendations for a restaurant in St George? How is the White Horse, Wahoo, or Wharf Tavern?

The best time to go to a beach is very soon after a severe storm or hurricane. Lots of neat shells and other stuff (sunken treasure?) get washed up onto the beach. A great time to walk the beach with your eyes scanning the sand.....

Our thoughts are all with the Bermudians through this hurricane!

With that in mind, selfishly I have a question.... if someone books an excursion directly with a private operator on Bermuda, and then then ship diverts it's itinerary, is the excursion refunded? I'm certain it would be if the excursion was booked through the ship... just not sure what the typical practice is.

Our thoughts are all with the Bermudians through this hurricane!

With that in mind, selfishly I have a question.... if someone books an excursion directly with a private operator on Bermuda, and then then ship diverts it's itinerary, is the excursion refunded? I'm certain it would be if the excursion was booked through the ship... just not sure what the typical practice is.

That would depend on the tour operator. I booked through an outside company refunds would be available if the ship could not make it to Bermuda.

:confused: the NCL site says the Dawn and Star are both stopping in Bermuda as planned, unless you know something the cruise line doesn't?

NCL site just updated 6 minutes ago, seems they will make the call on the Dawn once she is underway. Makes sense since she has to go south anyway for Bermuda or Bahamas...

Tropical Storm Update

Updated Thursday, September 6, 2012 @ 12 pm ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company is closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Leslie which is forecast to impact Bermuda this weekend.

Norwegian Dawn will sail as scheduled tomorrow from Boston. Depending on the path of the storm, we may need to alter the itinerary. We will keep guests updated on board.

Norwegian Star will sail as scheduled on Sunday, September 9 from New York.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding.

# # #

Looks like Hurricane Micheal is pulling Hurricane Leslie more over to the East of Bermuda. We will still get the strong winds and rain that was expected...

For anyone traveling to Bermuda ...Just keep your eyes posted to the weather station for updates on the Hurricane...Its hard to believe its coming as its so beautiful out today... little winds and lots of Sun...

The Hurricane is suppose to pass by us around 3am Sunday but because its moving slow its saying 48 hours of Strong Winds and Rain....... starting... Late Friday.....

This is all over the Bermuda local news - skip down to mention of the DAWN

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120905/NEWS/709059949

Tentative does not mean a change. Heres what the article says:

Cruise ship agents are also weighing up alternative destinations. The Norwegian Dawn is due in from Boston at 11am on Sunday.

Vice President of Maritime Operations at Meyer Agencies, Joe Semos said: “Tentative arrangements are being made for her to go to the Bahamas instead of Bermuda this weekend.

Tentative does not mean a change. Heres what the article says:

TAP TAP TAP

and is there a point - or just a nudge?

because I am pretty dam sure I read the kings english pretty well -

To eveyone on on the beautiful island of Bermuda-stay safe.I l visited for the 3rd time this past May and all of you are the nicest people and you have the most lovely island I have ever visited.

Leslie-stay away!!!

Laura

Archived