Amsterdam excursion question

swamom

Hi, again. As you probably know, we are on the Baltics cruise in June and I have a question about Amsterdam excursions. According to info from Radisson, the transfer to Amsterdam is $79, and is only for bus and lecture on the way, then pickup 8 hrs later.... However, the canal trip includes transport to city, plus canal at considerably less money. What's the deal? $79 seems extreme for bus ride. If anyone can answer this, I would like your knowledge. We want to wander around Amsterdam on our own, but don't know the best way to get there.

Thanks, again

SWA,

I had the same reaction when I looked at the Amsterdam excursions.

RSSC is using local busing, so I'm sure the rate reflects what they are being charged. My best guess is that the 8 hour trip on Saturday means paying for the use of the bus for more than the 8 hours plus overtime for the guide and driver. Otherwise, I agree it doesn't compute too well.

The big problem is that the ship docks in Ijmuiden rather than at Amsterdam itself. I've heard that it takes cruise ships quite a long time to get from the ocean to the port of Amsterdam and I guess it didn't fit in with the rest of the Voyager's schedule to do that.

On the Baltic board I inquired about getting from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam. There was one reply regarding a high speed ferry between the two locations. You may want to look into that. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be any train or bus service readily available in Ijmuiden even though it is a popular port for ferry service from the UK. I guess they all drive over.

If you find anything elsewhere, post it; I'll do the same.

CMI

I recieved the following from another travel site. It doesn't help much, but does give a little info. Maybe I'll just wait to see what they say once we're on board.

The ferry leaves from Pontplein in Velsen Zuid. As I don't know where your ship docks, I can't work out a route for you. However Ijmuiden port is part of Velsen, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to work this out.

Day Return ticket is ?8.05.

Journey time is 30 minutes.

Last ferry back is 19:30 from Amsterdam.

From the ferry stop in Amsterdam, you just walk through the railway station and out on to Stationsplein at the top of Damrak, the main street to Dam Square.

There is also a bus, but it looks like it takes about an hour to get there.

We were 'unhappy' with port arrangements here last year.

Voyager announced that they would have bus service into Ams...that tix could be collected at the Tour Office. We went that morning, pre breakfast

only to find a long line and no more tix available. We had not been

aware that only ONE bus was being sent in. Hence, we spent our

morning walking around this dismal port and looking at seagulls. Happy

campers it did not make.

So, count our experience and mistakes into your plans. If getting

into Ams is important to you, you will need to plan.

It's really quite simple and convenient; take a taxi from the pier to the "hydrofoil dock to Amsterdam" which is about a 5-10 minute ride away. There you can catch a hydrofoil into town (about a 40 minute ride in). The tour desk on the ship has the hydrofoil times; they are frequent.

Paula, thanks for the heads-up about the excursion. We will certainly have something planned before we leave home. I think DocDesdin has a plan that will work for us. These forums make trip planning great fun and takes out some frustrations when traveling abroad.

I saw your posting about the ferry to Amsterdam. I hope this link about this ferry will help you. It is written in dutch, but you can check the sailingtimes.

Be aware that space is not unlimited...

http://www.connexxion.nl/website/dienstregeling.asp?command=reisinfo_dienstregeling&action=deeplink&syslijn=N419

Archived