Santiago de Chile airport

Pansy2801

We are looking at flights to Santiago de Chile , and the best we can find ( award )is one that arrives at 2:45 am . Is it safe to spend several hours in the airport after going through custom at that time ?Are there places where we can sit ?*

Thank you.

Why would you spend several hours at the SCL airport? Waiting for transport to the port at Valparaiso (i.e., arriving the day your cruise departs)? You could certainly get a taxi into Santiago (other direction but not terribly far). There is a Holiday Inn immediately across the airport road from the terminals. Nice (we stayed there), but may be pricey for a few hours' sleep. Of course, even if your plane arrives on time you need to get off the plane, go through Immigration and Customs. We got to the airport at 4 or 4:30 a.m. for a 6 a.m. flight and it was pretty busy and looked quite safe inside. That was about 5 years ago.

Why would you spend several hours at the airport? Waiting for transport to the port at Valparaiso (i.e., arriving the day your cruise departs)? You could certainly get a taxi into Santiago (other direction but not terribly far). There is a Holiday Inn immediately across the airport road from the terminals. Nice, but may be pricey for a few hours' sleep. Of course, even if your plane arrives on time you need to get off the plane, go through Immigration and Customs. We got to the airport at 4 or 4:30 a.m. for a 6 a.m. flight and it was pretty busy and looked quite safe inside. That was about 5 years ago.

Thank you for answering. We did not think that we want to take a taxi to a hotel when is still dark. That will be our first visit to Chile. I did not have a chance to familiarize with the country, safety. First I wanted to book the flight. But the only award that we have miles for arrives at 2:45 am.

We are looking at flights to Santiago de Chile , and the best we can find ( award )is one that arrives at 2:45 am . Is it safe to spend several hours in the airport after going through custom at that time ?Are there places where we can sit ?*

Thank you.

Santiago airport is an international airport and perfectly safe at all hours. There are eating places outside in the arrivals hall when you have cleared customs that may or may not be open at that hour. There is also seating etc and toilets!

Thank you for answering. We did not think that we want to take a taxi to a hotel when is still dark. That will be our first visit to Chile. I did not have a chance to familiarize with the country, safety. First I wanted to book the flight. But the only award that we have miles for arrives at 2:45 am.

I'm also looking at flights for Santiago del Chile. I noticed that several land in the middle of the night and have been wondering the same thing. Another one lands at 10am a day *before* our cruise departs, but I'm thinking about taking it so we have one extra day in Chile. (We are cruising on a Celebrity 15-day SA and Panama Canal cruise next March.) However, even 10am is too early to go to a hotel.

I can't imagine it would be too dangerous just to take a taxi across the street to the airport hotel. Hopefully others with experience in Santiago del Chile will chime in here. Maybe the Holiday Inn has a trusted transport service and/or there is an unaffiliated transfer that can be recommended.

I, too, am trying to figure out why you would stay at the airport. IF you are going direct to the cruise and using cruise line transport would be the only reason I could see.

If you are arriving in Santiago for sightseeing a day or two before your cruise, go to a hotel. Arrange with the hotel for check in at 4-5AM. AND arrange with the hotel to send a car for you. You will certainly feel better than trying to stay up until daylight and then go to a hotel.

The Holiday Inn, Airport is waaay, waaay, waaay overpriced unless you absolutely have to stay near the airport for some reason. They have a shuttle.

If you are transferring directly to Valparaiso, you will be fine staying in the airport until your transfer. Big airport with lots of amenities.

My sister lives just north of Santiago. The airport is very safe at any hour, but as w any, just be situationally aware w your belongings.

She tells me it's safer to stay in the airport @ off-hours than venturing out in the city. There is a threat of a toma ("strike" by university students), so again, probably safer in the airport until business hours. The students, though, typically rally about parliament.

You probably have more threat from immigration: Just adhere to limits if alcohol & do not bring-in any agriculture.

Have a great trip & it should be fine. :-)

My sister lives north of Santiago. She tells me that the airport is safer than any where else at off-hours. As w anywhere else, just be situationally-aware of your belongings. There is always a threat of a student "toma" (strike), but that should be isolated to the area around parliament.

You probably have more threat from immigration: Just adhere to limitations w alcohol & no agriculture at all.

Should be fine; have a great trip!

We found Chile to be almost like Spain. It is generally a more prosperous country than most in SA. The airport in Santiago is modern and has all the facilities of one in the USA. The airport is on the Valparaiso side of Santiago, so unless you stay in Santiago a night, I would just go on to Valpo.

I will find the particulars for you, but in the interim:

Airport taxis are similar to Asia: Do not hail one outside at that hour. My sister, who's lived in S America for many years, was ripped-off recently. Instead, purchase a ride inside the terminal @ the taxi stand.

She recommends waiting until "morning" & catching the Blue Bus just outside the terminal. This bus is approx 3000pesos & will take you to the main bus station. Buses leave every 15 mins or so for the 90 min trip to Val. (2 pieces of luggage max). Can't recall the exact cost. I'll have that info soon as well as safe, clean, modern hotel near the airport that will arrange transport @ that hour.

My sister did update me @ Santiago: Her coworker, another professor, had her necklace torn off her neck in broad daylight (Santiago). Highly recommend not wearing jewelry (many local women wear neck scarves to mitigate attention). Santiago is not as safe as it used to be...some students are quite aggressive & have been torching cars, so definitely stay away fr downtown.

I would be more concerned about some of the Airports you are flying out of than I would be getting in or out of SCL or taking a taxi or walking around Santiago. We did it last Mar without the slightest indecent, in fact when we asked for directions they were very forth coming and help full. They like tourists an know the value they represent. We will be spending 3 more day in SCL this coming Xmas and one of the reasons was because we felt very safe there. Safer than JFK, Chicago or Detroit.

I would be more concerned about some of the Airports you are flying out of than I would be getting in or out of SCL or taking a taxi or walking around Santiago. We did it last Mar without the slightest indecent, in fact when we asked for directions they were very forth coming and help full. They like tourists an know the value they represent. We will be spending 3 more day in SCL this coming Xmas and one of the reasons was because we felt very safe there. Safer than JFK, Chicago or Detroit.

Thank you very much Chuck and everyone. Your advice helped us decide to book the award flight that arrives in SCL on December 19 at 2:45am. Our cruise ( on Star Princess) starts on the Dec 22 so we are going to spend 3 night in Santiago. Is it too much? Is it enough to do and see , or should we consider traveling to Valpariso a day early and spending the last night there. Thanks again.

Thank you very much Chuck and everyone. Your advice helped us decide to book the award flight that arrives in SCL on December 19 at 2:45am. Our cruise ( on Star Princess) starts on the Dec 22 so we are going to spend 3 night in Santiago. Is it too much? Is it enough to do and see , or should we consider traveling to Valpariso a day early and spending the last night there. Thanks again.

I definitely would recommend spending some time in Valparaiso. I am not sure how much there is to do in Santiago as we opted to go directly to Valparaiso when we had only 1 day before our cruise. We did a couple of wine tastings on our way to Valparaiso and the next day before going to the ship we did a walking and driving tour in the area. It was well worth seeing.

We stayed 2 days in Santiago & a day in Valparaiso last Mar. We had such a good time we decided to spend some more time there.

We will be arriving noon Dec 19th and staying at the Orly Hotel in downtown Santiago as there are still many things we didn't get a chance to see. Friday afternoon we will hit a few wineries on the way to Vina del Mar where we will be staying at he Sheraton and touring Valparaiso & Vina del Mar before boarding the ship late Saturday afternoon.

Pansy2801 I don't see you on the Roll Call. Lots of information available there.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399010

We stayed 2 days in Santiago & a day in Valparaiso last Mar. We had such a good time we decided to spend some more time there.

We will be arriving noon Dec 19th and staying at the Orly Hotel in downtown Santiago as there are still many things we didn't get a chance to see. Friday afternoon we will hit a few wineries on the way to Vina del Mar where we will be staying at he Sheraton and touring Valparaiso & Vina del Mar before boarding the ship late Saturday afternoon.

Pansy2801 I don't see you on the Roll Call. Lots of information available there.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399010

Thank you Chuck. I did not join the roll call yet as we returned only few weeks ago from a Scandinavian cruise on Emerald Princess. But I will.

If you were heading to Valparaiso in the morning I might stay in the airport, but hanging out in an airport for several hours after a long flight just because you were hesitant to take a taxi at that hour seems overcautious to me. Our taxi left our downtown hotel for the airport about 4 a.m. We felt safe. This was about 6 years ago. Airport may have several eating places outside security (where you'd end up after Customs), but I'm not sure how many, if any, stay open all night. All in all, I think your choice is a matter of comfort, not safety. Even if you went to a hotel at daybreak you'd still have to pay for the whole night. If you're hesitant about the taxi, I'd at least check the Holiday Inn. Whether it's overpriced depends on the exact dates and rate and your budget.

Things have changed significantly in Santiago in just the last1.5 yrs, especially since the toma. I would recommend hotel transport fr SCL @ that hour. Apologies for being pessimistic; however, locals are also being targeted. I travel solo all around the world, as does my sister who's a local in Chile. She & I would not recommend walking to airport hotels @ that hour (who would). I'm sure you will be just fine if you keep your wits @ you & not be in complacent, vaca-mode.

Archived