Another Age question

sparkysj

I saw the post where the person was asking about their child's friend who is a minor traveling with them they were required to be in a room with someone over 25 and in that post it said that anyone under 21 that you are not the parent/guardian has to be in a cabin w/someone over 25 but my we are booked on a crusie in Oct that my husband and 4yr old are in 1 cabin & right next to us is our sons (18 &21) and my son's girlfriend (19)...they knew when I booked she was the girlfriend and I even asked my PVP if we needed something for her to travel with us. We were told just as a precaution a letter allowing us to make medical decisions for her might be a good idea but that was it. So now I'm wondering is she not going to be allowed to board since not in a room w/ someone over 25?

I would have the pvp look up the rules then. She is misinformed. I have seen a few PVPs who dont know some rules like this, but she should have looked it up before booking it.

Now that its booked.. I guess no one will know. She wasnt allowed to book it though.

I would get a better PVP if my PVP didnt know basic rules.. what else dont they know that could help you?

I would have the pvp look up the rules then. She is misinformed. I have seen a few PVPs who dont know some rules like this, but she should have looked it up before booking it.

Now that its booked.. I guess no one will know. She wasnt allowed to book it though.

I would get a better PVP if my PVP didnt know basic rules.. what else dont they know that could help you?

I agree ^^^^^

I'm not sure if they will do anything as you board though.

So as long as it is already booked then we should be ok? I was totally upfront with her as to who she was (in fact it was over email that I first contacted her to add the GF).

I have been happy with my PVP up until recently- she has been slow to respond and then I emailed her a couple days ago w/a question & didn't get a response after 2 days (wasn't a vital issue) so I called & her voicemail said was on vacation this week & the number of the person she said to contact was also gone yesterday & today! After reading posts on here it sounds like there are other PVP's that are much more helpful but since I have read you are not allowed to mention names on here how does one find a good one? (I don't have any friends that I can ask whose theirs are....)

Thanks!

From Carnival's website:

Carnival's policy regarding guests traveling alone or traveling with minors:

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older. The exceptions Carnival will make to this policy are:

Guests Under the Age of 21 Traveling with Parents / Grandparents

Guests under the age of 13

•*Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, only if booked next door or directly across the hall from the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors 13 and under may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents"; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

•*Minors can be booked in separate staterooms, by up to 3 staterooms in between the minor stateroom and the Parents/Grandparents stateroom.

Note: Minors age 13 may only be booked in a balcony stateroom with the Parents/Grandparents; this also applies to connecting staterooms.

Guests 18 years of age and older

•*Minors are 18 and older not required to be booked within close proximity nor on the same deck as the Parents/Grandparents.* However, we will place you as close together as possible.

I would call Carnival directly to make sure you are okay since you aren't her parent or grandparent. Surely you are though. I'm sure there are tons of people who take kids that aren't theirs on a cruise.

I think I will call again in the morning and since my PVP is on vacation I will just talk to whoever I can. I know one of my friends has taken friends of her kids and never had a problem but I don't want to risk having my sons GF turned away when we are there! Thank you.

I think I will call again in the morning and since my PVP is on vacation I will just talk to whoever I can. I know one of my friends has taken friends of her kids and never had a problem but I don't want to risk having my sons GF turned away when we are there! Thank you.

Good idea (unless someone with experience can tell us its ok).

I would hate for their to be problems once you get there that can be fixed by right now putting a parent in the room and then switching it when you get there.

We just booked the Conquest for March with myself, dh, ds(22), ds(24), ds best friend(20), and nephew(14). The 24 yr old is in a cabin with the 14 yr old and the 22 yr old is in a cabin with the 20 yr old. Our rooms are within 2 doors of each other and the Carnival rep confirmed that this was okay. She did say we should bring documentation from the 14 yr olds parents for Roatan and Belize. (permission to travel)

We just booked the Conquest for March with myself, dh, ds(22), ds(24), ds best friend(20), and nephew(14). The 24 yr old is in a cabin with the 14 yr old and the 22 yr old is in a cabin with the 20 yr old. Our rooms are within 2 doors of each other and the Carnival rep confirmed that this was okay. She did say we should bring documentation from the 14 yr olds parents for Roatan and Belize. (permission to travel)

You can read the rules above for yourself .. .. how many times have people called up carnival and gotten conflicting information. If you can read that its NOT acceptable. You know the answer you got was wrong.

reps probably book this and dont run into trouble and never know they dont know the policy. My PVP has had to look up some of the smaller rules like this at times herself and they do change.

PS I have also heard of PVPs telling folks that its ok as long as the kids are across or next door .. no matter the age. They simply dont know their own rules. Obviously they can book the people and it works.. so they continue to not follow their own rules.. that doesnt mean the rules dont exist.

You can read the rules above for yourself .. .. how many times have people called up carnival and gotten conflicting information. If you can read that its NOT acceptable. You know the answer you got was wrong.

reps probably book this and dont run into trouble and never know they dont know the policy. My PVP has had to look up some of the smaller rules like this at times herself and they do change.

PS I have also heard of PVPs telling folks that its ok as long as the kids are across or next door .. no matter the age. They simply dont know their own rules. Obviously they can book the people and it works.. so they continue to not follow their own rules.. that doesnt mean the rules dont exist.

Since their policy does state anyone under 21 has to be in a room w/someone over 25 if not a parent/guardian- should I get the response in writing to take with me to the cruise just in case or would that not even matter. We all booked Early Saver so I know we can't make any changes to our bookings without a fee and I really don't want to pay if that is the case!! thanks again.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/minor.html

Guest Policy

Quick Reference Guidelines

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own.

Guests under the age of 21 must travel with their “Parent”. A Parent can include Grandparents as well as a Court-Appointed Legal Guardian.

Ages 12 and under

Must travel in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above). If insisting on traveling in separate staterooms, minors must be directly across the hall or side-by-side to “Parents” stateroom. Document this exception: “Guest reqs separate staterooms”.

If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted.

If traveling in a balcony stateroom, minors must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above).

Ages 13 – 17

Must travel with a “Parent” (as listed above) in the same stateroom or separated by up to 3 staterooms down/across the hall.

If traveling in separate staterooms, stateroom assignment required – TBA staterooms not permitted.

For ages 13 and under, if traveling in a balcony stateroom, must be in the same stateroom with a “Parent” (as listed above).

Ages 18 – 20

May travel in separate stateroom from the “Parent” (as listed above) beyond the 3 staterooms down/across the hall and including separate decks in cases where spoilage must be avoided. Always make every effort to assign nearby.

Ages 20 and under and NOT traveling with a “Parent” (as listed above)

Must travel in the same stateroom with an adult 25 years of age or older.

Group Bookings

If group consists of 8 or more staterooms under this condition, guests in those staterooms must pre-pay gratuites and those minors must pre-pay $100 damage deposit.

If group is not able to abide by our Minor Guest Guidelines, they must be referred to the tour operator holding space on that saildate. If no student space is held, provide both telephone numbers:

1) Straight A Tours/Festivals at Sea

407 896-1242 or 800 237-5440

2) Four Seasons Travel/Rock the Boat

407 654-2500 or 800 421-4159

Exceptions to our Minor Guest Guidelines

Legally married couple less than 21 years of age

Same-Gender Union couple less than 21 years of age

Qualified Military Personnel

Please call and they will make the changes necessary to bring the minor age issue into compliance. You will need to move anyone under 21 into a cabin with someone 25 or older--if the parent/grandparent (or court appointed legal guardian) is not on the same ship. As long as all original guests are still sailing and you are only moving people, there is no charge. Better to take care of it right now. CCL does catch these issues as it gets closer to the sailing and you will have to do it anyway. Be proactive and get it done. :)

I just called Carnival again and spoke with a different PVP and she told me the same thing that mine did. She said since our cabins are right next to each other I'm considered the "parent". I said more than once that it was my son's GF & of no relation to me and she said that was fine. I mentioned their policy and was told that they only use that when it is a group of bunch of kids cruising.....She said there was no need to switch rooms. This is the 2nd person who has told me this so very confusing LOL

I know all the times we have cruised my sons last name is different than mine and they have never once asked for proof of custody or a letter from my ex allowing me to take them on cruise (I actually have sole custody so wouldn't need it anyway).

Thanks!

I just called Carnival again and spoke with a different PVP and she told me the same thing that mine did. She said since our cabins are right next to each other I'm considered the "parent". I said more than once that it was my son's GF & of no relation to me and she said that was fine. I mentioned their policy and was told that they only use that when it is a group of bunch of kids cruising.....She said there was no need to switch rooms. This is the 2nd person who has told me this so very confusing LOL

I know all the times we have cruised my sons last name is different than mine and they have never once asked for proof of custody or a letter from my ex allowing me to take them on cruise (I actually have sole custody so wouldn't need it anyway).

Thanks!

That makes total sense to me. The things other are saying don't at all.

That makes total sense to me. The things other are saying don't at all.

Since I have talked to more than one of their employees and they keep telling me it is fine I don't see what else I would need to do. I think they love to confuse people LOL

Kitallea, what others have said does make sense per Carnival's written policy (see Calkacky's post). A guardian isn't just another parent or adult who is chaparoning them. Now how much Carnival enforces their written policy, I don't know. I personally wouldn't want to take the chance and would make sure I've booked as their policy is written and then switch once on board.

BTW, Carnival used to require anyone under 21 be booked in a cabin with someone 25 or older even if they were your children. We had to book this way back in 08 (hubby and 18 yr old son in one cabin and me and 15 yr old in the other and switch once on board). They have since modified their policy to allow your own children to be booked in their own rooms per the age limits and cabin distance as stated in Calkacy's post.

Kitallea, what others have said does make sense per Carnival's written policy (see Calkacky's post). A guardian isn't just another parent or adult who is chaparoning them. Now how much Carnival enforces their written policy, I don't know. I personally wouldn't want to take the chance and would make sure I've booked as their policy is written and then switch once on board.

BTW, Carnival used to require anyone under 21 be booked in a cabin with someone 25 or older even if they were your children. We had to book this way back in 08 (hubby and 18 yr old son in one cabin and me and 15 yr old in the other and switch once on board). They have since modified their policy to allow your own children to be booked in their own rooms per the age limits and cabin distance as stated in Calkacy's post.

I agree it does make sense.

In fact it happened to me.

My son 20 and his gf 19 couldn't be booked in their own cabin since she wasn't my child.

We had balcony cabins right next to each other with a connecting door and they still wouldn't book it.

Like Fire said, the don't follow or enforce their own rules depending on who you are dealing with at CCL.

Bill

It matters because it is Carnival's policy that anyone under the age of 21 must be in a cabin with someone age 25 or older. They modified it so that your own children cabin be in a cabin together based on their criteria. The magic age is 21 not 18 just like it is for alcohol.

It matters because it is Carnival's policy that anyone under the age of 21 must be in a cabin with someone age 25 or older. They modified it so that your own children cabin be in a cabin together based on their criteria. The magic age is 21 not 18 just like it is for alcohol.

If you are replying to David i think he was saying it shouldn't matter about the letter of consent, not the rule of having someone 25 years old in the cabin.:)

Bill

From what I have been told, as long as the cabins are next to eachother and there persons over 25 in the group, Carinval and most other lines let it slide. Mostly cause although you are assigined to a cabin ther is really nothing to stop your group from then changing the makeup of people in each cabin as you see fit. Might be a bit inconvient because of room keys but still.

They suggested a letter for medical reasons just in case something happened and she was unable to make her own decision and that way someone had permission to make sure she recieved medical treatment.

I know back in 06 I went on a cruise w/my husband and 2 sons who were 15 & 11 at the time and there was no problem with putting them in a room across the hall from us.

This cruise is already booked (has been since last Nov) and they keep telling me there is no need to switch rooms.

Archived