Shore Trips Alaska, anyone use these guys?

FunShipCruiser05

While I am sure that you can use them - There are other companies that perform the same service - playing booking agent for tour companies.

I looked at two tours - the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watch

NCL's tour was listed at 5 1/4 hr and was 279.00 pp

Shoretrips equal was listed at 4 1/2 hr and was 243.00 pp

In Skagway I looked at the Carcross by train and bus

Chilkoot charged me 239.00 pp

Princess charges 279.00 pp

Shoretours wants 243.00 pp

WP&Y RR also charged 239.00 pp

You might also look at Alaskatours.com and take a look here http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

I am wondering about http://www.shoretrips.com

Looks like they are a shore trip booking agent of some sort but im confused if that's the case? I can book trips in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan here and the price are attractive. Wondering if anyone has used them?

We've used ShoreTrips twice; once on the Mexican Riviera about four years ago and again this summer for an Alaska booking. Never had any problems. Not a hint of anything unethical and they delivered what they advertised. We were never less than pleased with doing business with them.

That said, we think in general that they are most useful when you're looking to make a number of bookings and want "one stop shopping". There's no problem using them if you're just looking to book one particular excursion they offer, but we didn't encounter any specific advantage in that case.

i decided to book with the tour operator directly. Cannot find out the information of what the tour is with shore trips until after booking. Did the temporary hold to secure the spot, I found it's Coastal Helicopters after. So I went on the website and is 267 each opposed to the 12.00 each person the agent would make.

Doing the glacier tour for an hour plus the stop on the glacier. it should be a rockin good time!

i decided to book with the tour operator directly. Cannot find out the information of what the tour is with shore trips until after booking. Did the temporary hold to secure the spot, I found it's Coastal Helicopters after. So I went on the website and is 267 each opposed to the 12.00 each person the agent would make.

Doing the glacier tour for an hour plus the stop on the glacier. it should be a rockin good time.

im glad you saved some money. every little bit helps. coatal helicopters get good reveiws. you are in for a great time. we dont sail untill sept 15 of next yr and we are already booked with capt. larry. he gets full really fast. so we are set for our whale watching tour in juneau.

Doing the glacier tour for an hour plus the stop on the glacier. it should be a rockin good time.

im glad you saved some money. every little bit helps. coatal helicopters get good reveiws. you are in for a great time. we dont sail untill sept 15 of next yr and we are already booked with capt. larry. he gets full really fast. so we are set for our whale watching tour in juneau.

actually this is spur of the moment. it was on the to-do list then we opted for the misty fjords flightseeing and then whale watching, plus the skagway jeep rental. But thought, do I do mendenhall in juneau or helicopter glacier tour. Plus I never been in a helicopter or on a glacier so if this is the only time I get to, do it. I am probably gonna bury myself with this one excursion but people I know who been to alaska say, do everything I can afford to do, and even if I come home a couple hundred or few hundred in the hole, it's not a bad thing. Just don't come home a grand in the hole. Do it, live it, love it, spend it, enjoy it, cherish it, and tell the stories when I get home. Think about money and paychecks later :-)

actually this is spur of the moment. it was on the to-do list then we opted for the misty fjords flightseeing and then whale watching, plus the skagway jeep rental. But thought, do I do mendenhall in juneau or helicopter glacier tour. Plus I never been in a helicopter or on a glacier so if this is the only time I get to, do it. I am probably gonna bury myself with this one excursion but people I know who been to alaska say, do everything I can afford to do, and even if I come home a couple hundred or few hundred in the hole, it's not a bad thing. Just don't come home a grand in the hole. Do it, live it, love it, spend it, enjoy it, cherish it, and tell the stories when I get home. Think about money and paychecks later :-)

go for it ;). this is your cruise and you can do as little or as much as you want. the glaciers are wonderful and flying over the fjords is awesome. mendenhall is sadly melting more each yr so it is a good idea too see it when you can. there are good walking paths behind the visitor center there. go too the mendenhall site and you will see their maps for walking. i know you are going too have a great time. enjoy it all. :)

i will not use them. you pay for a '' middle man '' and that ups the cost of the tours. i book directley (sic) with the local tour co's. they are very reliable and give the best tour. good luck with your choices.

Actually often the "middlemen" are CHEAPER because they can negotiate a discount with the operator and/or pass along some of their commission to the customer. However, it is generally best to book directly with a tour operator.

On a 2011 Baltic Cruise (Constellation RT Amsterdam) I was having considerable difficulty locating a guide or tour company for Northern Germany (we had a Roll Call group of 18). I finally found a tour company in Rostock (next to Wernamunde port) from which I contracted bus, driver, and guide for the day. Another advantage was that I was given the guide's email address and planned/negotiated the day with her. Yes, my experience with ShoreTrips was that they made an effort to plan a trip from our port but it was considerably more expensive and there was no way to contact their vendor(s) --because obviously one would then contact them directly! I was also quite surprised to find out that I had been emailing a company representative in San Francisco!

Am just starting to figure our Alaska (plus Victoria -- any ideas for an evening in Victoria?) options. First read content/prices from cruise line, then contact individual companies and then at least one broker I've found for Alaska (guess you could email me for specifics) unless you are on 20 July Star Princess (then you might want to join a group?). My usual approach isn't to find cost for the two of us, but cost for a much larger group. Hope this sort of arrangement is possible for an Alaskan cruise. I'm at least planning for 7 adults and 3 children. My previous experience is that depending on the experience you will save somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of the cruise line price (the only difference being at times that there may be some penalty for a missed port in some European cruise (I am assuming that ports will not be missed for Alaska/Victoria but bad weather may cancel certain options and the tour provider would substitute something else?)

My best,

DJ:)

balticports@yahoo.com

My travel agent recommended Shore Trips as well. Thanks for this info!

TAs make big commissions from the excursion companies they promote.;). These tour companies get mixed reviews at best. Look for reviews of local travel operators, either here on CC or TripAdvisor. To save more money, share a tour with another couple or group from your roll call.:)

My travel agent recommended Shore Trips as well. Thanks for this info!

What tours have THEY taken in Alaska??? (have they even been there???)

Sorry, but in Alaska, in my opinion the vendor choice is just as important as the tour. With Shore tours- you get booked with who they are contacted with. There are some stand out tours in Alaska that particular vendors have the edge.

It doesn't matter to many people.

But, if you read up on this particular board, the information is detailed pertaining to particular tours and vendors. You may want to take advantage of it. Booking direct with the vendors- gives you FIRST hand information, direct confirmation and no middle man tagging.

Am just starting to figure our Alaska (plus Victoria -- any ideas for an evening in Victoria?) options. First read content/prices from cruise line, then contact individual companies and then at least one broker I've found for Alaska (guess you could email me for specifics) unless you are on 20 July Star Princess (then you might want to join a group?). My usual approach isn't to find cost for the two of us, but cost for a much larger group. Hope this sort of arrangement is possible for an Alaskan cruise. I'm at least planning for 7 adults and 3 children. My previous experience is that depending on the experience you will save somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of the cruise line price (the only difference being at times that there may be some penalty for a missed port in some European cruise (I am assuming that ports will not be missed for Alaska/Victoria but bad weather may cancel certain options and the tour provider would substitute something else?)

My best,

DJ:)

balticports@yahoo.com

Like you, I prefer independent vendors, however, I will use cruise ship tours depending on circumstances. For example, some tours are only offered by the cruiseline, or the timing is such that to include more than one tour, I may have to take a cruiseline tour. In Alaska you are not likely to see the savings you are familiar with in other locations by going independent. On my last trip to Alaska in 2011, I actually paid more for several independent tours than I would have if I had booked through the cruiseline. However, we liked the smaller groups and sometimes you get more time out on the tour. I have seen cruiseline tours cost the same, more, or less than independent vendors.

Ports can be missed in Alaska due to storms. This seems to be most common in September. Last year I read of one September sailing that did not make any of their ports, and others that missed some ports. This year I just read of one ship that missed their two glacier sailings in a mid-September cruise. Another September cruise (14 day) missed two ports and was not going to make Hubbard Glacier, but in the end picked up Glacier Bay because another ship was not going to be able to make it due to delays waiting out a storm.

All the vendors I booked through, offered refunds if the ship did not make it into port.

Archived