Paris in November?

Bethwte

I am thinking of booking a short cruise out of Spain this November, and the dates end up working out so that I would not have to take off any extra days of work but could add on 2 or 3 more days pre-cruise in Europe. I loved Paris when I went, but that was in August, a whole different world than in November I'm sure.

Can anyone tell me what to expect in Paris this time of year (besides much colder temperatures) and what some fun wintery-type or indoor things there might be to do? I would be there approx the last week of November. If it matters at all, I speak very basic French, emphasis on VERY basic.

Weather-wise, November is not the best season for Paris. It will obviously be much colder than August but you can also expect grey weather, wind and rain. And the days are short (expect night fall around 5pm). It's a pretty gloomy month. But if it's November or nothing, then by all means take November! ;) And then who knows, there always are exceptions.

You can still enjoy all the museums, or take the Batobus on the Seine river (and if you do that in the late afternoon, all the monuments will be lit which is quite beautiful).

Then at this season, Christmas light should be up in the city, and particularly on the Champs-Elysees which can be absolutely beautiful (apparently, this year they start on November 21st). There will be a Christmas market on the lower Champs-Elysees as well, probably starting at the same time (I'm not sure you will find bargain buys, but it should give a nice atmosphere) :

http://www.brundevie.com/ile-de-france/ideas-out/christmas-illuminations-paris-champs-elysees.html

It is also worth looking at the Christmas window displays on the big department stores (such as Galerie Lafayette and Printemps) on the Boulevard Haussman (near the Opera), I think they also start in November.

There is usually an ice-skating ring in the winter on the Hotel de Ville plaza but I think it starts later in the season.

American Airlines offered tickets to Paris from JFK- Paris for $383 total with taxes round trip in January a couple years ago (2011). So I said- what the heck- I'm going.

I stayed in Versailles because I had wanted to see Versailles on a previous visit and there wasn't time.

The point is... even in January, the weather was really mild. I wore a heavy sweater by day. Yes, the days were shorter but there was plenty of sunshine during the day when I was touring. The crowds were fewer and it was really a great experience.

I think as long as you know in advance that it might be rainy in November- you will have a good time. The crowds will be fewer and if it's really rainy- go to the Louvre. When I was there I loved seeing all the crown jewels.

Have a great cruise!

I have been in Paris a few times in Nov. for a week or so each time,and even if rainy and colder have always found something to see and do inside and out depending on the weather.I like the late Fall in Paris,and I am sure you will enjoy your trip as well. Love the X-mas lights if they are up.

I visited Paris in mid-Nov, and the temps were in the mid to high 40s with occasional rain and also, fog - too foggy to see the top of the Eiffel Tower, much less the view. But the silver lining was smaller crowds at Louvre, Notre Dame and elsewhere, and so much easier to get reservations at the good restaurants. Pack a pair of boots, a trench coat with a lining, and add a sweater, gloves and warm scarf so you'll still enjoy being outside.

Thank you so much for all of the replies. No matter what, the weather should be nicer than where I will be traveling from (upstate NY), so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I have done the Louvre, but I am thinking maybe a couple of the other museums might be nice to check out. Maybe Pompidou or D'Orsay.

We often visit Paris and London for two weeks between US Thanksgiving and Christmas. The crowds are smaller, less daylight, cooler weather often with rain and great shopping. Two years ago we were in Paris for during a heavy snowstorm (for Parisians), but it was no major problem. The Christmas markets will start to open after December 1 (about the beginning of Advent). We like Paris and London best during this time of year.

Enjoy

Archived