Help me sell DS on Sheraton over Atlantis

sunluv

Taking DS on his first cruise for his birthday at the end of November. All he's been talking about is Atlantis and although I'm not thrilled about the hefty price tag to go there, I was willing to bite the bullet until I read reviews on here about management letting the place go.

Since it's such a special trip for him, I really don't want to disappoint, so I need to know how to play up the Sheraton, which I believe will be our best option.

Basically I just need to know all the toys they have available. I know the Day Pass includes non-motorized water sports, but what exactly are they? And what are the prices for any additional water activities?

Do the pools have slides? lazy rivers? Any reviews and PICTURES would be extremely helpful. Visuals are always best for a kid (he'll be 10) it adds to the "OMG I can't wait to do that" factor! The only reason he's dying to go to Atlantis was because of a commercial that showed the slide going through the shark tank! :rolleyes: I need something at the Sheraton that can trump that! LOL!!

Taking DS on his first cruise for his birthday at the end of November. All he's been talking about is Atlantis and although I'm not thrilled about the hefty price tag to go there, I was willing to bite the bullet until I read reviews on here about management letting the place go.

Since it's such a special trip for him, I really don't want to disappoint, so I need to know how to play up the Sheraton, which I believe will be our best option.

Basically I just need to know all the toys they have available. I know the Day Pass includes non-motorized water sports, but what exactly are they? And what are the prices for any additional water activities?

Do the pools have slides? lazy rivers? Any reviews and PICTURES would be extremely helpful. Visuals are always best for a kid (he'll be 10) it adds to the "OMG I can't wait to do that" factor! The only reason he's dying to go to Atlantis was because of a commercial that showed the slide going through the shark tank! :rolleyes: I need something at the Sheraton that can trump that! LOL!!

Sorry to tell you, but there is no way the sheraton, (at $25pp) can trump the atlantis... ($135pp) they are apples and oranges

Sheraton is a typical caribbean resort with beautiful beaches, snorkeling, kayaks and stand up boards. Atlantis is a waterpark..

I'd still opt for the sheraton.. the one thing that the Sheraton has that the Atlantis doesn't is relaxation. There's no crowds and you can hear yourself think. (not that it matters to your son)

btw. check the boards to see if the leap of faith has reopened.. it's been closed for awhile now.. that would defeat the purpose of your trip,

What about a compromise? Take him to the Dolphin Swim at the Blue Lagoon. I think it's less expensive than Atlantis, he gets to swim with Dolphins (almost as cool as a shark tank), and you get a nice comfortable beach to relax on, without the long lines at Atlantis. Lots of people on the boards have really positively reviewed Blue Lagoon as a great experience.

My two boys (ages 21 and 18 last summer) and I love waterparks and had always wanted to go to Atlantis'. Yes it is expensive, and it only has 8 slides and the "not so lazy" river so it's not the best waterpark ever, but we all loved it and are glad we went. Knew this would be the only time we would be there as a family so it was worth the $ to us to experience it and create a great memory.

Search Atlantis Aquaventure and read my review.

We took 2 our our kids to Atlantis (booked a room at CS - another option is to buy from an outside company), and it was awesome! However, on our last cruise, our youngest were 6, so too old to leave behind, so we did the Sheraton (we have 5 kids, so the cost for Atlantis would've been very high). It was nice, but nothing compared to Atlantis. We didn't see any toys being used - don't even know where they were located.

Honestly, it would've been boring with just an only child - my kids had fun playing with each other, though.

What about a compromise? Take him to the Dolphin Swim at the Blue Lagoon. I think it's less expensive than Atlantis, he gets to swim with Dolphins (almost as cool as a shark tank), and you get a nice comfortable beach to relax on, without the long lines at Atlantis. Lots of people on the boards have really positively reviewed Blue Lagoon as a great experience.

I second this idea. At least you get a bang for your buck.

The Dolphin encounter is fabulous, so are the sea lions. Lots to do here, and there's even an inflatable waterpark. Now THIS is truly paradise.

www.dolphinencounters.com

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't even thought of Blue Lagoon, but after researching a bit it seems as he would really like this. It has way more things for him to do, PLUS dolphins!

My only downside I can see so far is that I'd have to reserve through Carnival, instead of saving a bit and doing it directly. Our ship docks at 10am, and the next ferry doesn't go out until around 1pm. I'd be losing most of the day, seeing as we'd have to leave Blue Lagoon by 4pm.

They probably do that on purpose, so you're more swayed to book with Carnival. Still, this is definitely the front-runner so far!!

JBanana, I read your great review! I have no doubts Atlantis would be fun, but I'm worried about slides being down for maintenace and the overall upkeep up the park that's been reported, AND still having to pay full price!

Sunluv, plus your ship doesn't arrive until 10 am and that's the time the slides open at Atlantis and it's best to do at Atlantis when you can be there when the slides open. Your son's only 10 so you can go to Atlantis when he is older.

I'm sure he will love the dolphin encounter!

We did a room for a day last year at the Sheraton for a total of $99. You get beach access, cheap snorkling gear, and access to a room for the entire day for 4 people. It was great to be able to take a shower before jumping on the jitney and heading back to the boat.

Archived