Shoes for Waterfall Climbing?

wantocruisemore

We'll be in Jamaica in March and group really wants to climb Dunn River Falls. I was there years ago but my husband climbed and I didn't. He doesn't remember what he wore, thinks just tennis shoes.

What are some of the best for climbing? I'm thinking maybe something that has the toe guard?

I have a pair of Teva sandals that were always my go to water shoe until I slipped getting off the boat at the dock last year. Since then I just don't trust them where I will need traction.

I would love something that could double as more than just a water shoe.

I'm with you on the toe guard type of shoe -- too hard to get the information from big toe to brain that something has gone wrong. I just stumble in them too easily. For the Dunn Falls it is not only rocky and wet it is also mossy. I did see folks fall and I saw domino effect as people were holding on to each other:eek:. Boat shoes or good swim shoes (NOT swim socks which have thinner soles and smoother bottoms). I do fairly well with LL Bean water shoe. They at least have thick stable sole and a little traction.

I did not go up the Falls (and that was at least 20 years ago) but I sat on a bench by the falls and watched the people falling!:eek:

When I climbed the falls it was in the cheap-o watersocks and I wouldn't use them again. I didn't fall but I also didn't make it all the way up the falls. It was too hard for me so we bailed at the 1/2 way point. Plus those cheapy watersocks are not comfortable to walk in at all. I now have a pair of Keens and I think they would work fine. They do have waterproof H2O ones specifically for water. They make my feet pretty smelly though...the smell doesn't stick with the shoe though as the sole has odor protections but that doesn't help my foot. So now I am looking at these.....or something similar.

http://www.zappos.com/columbia-drainmaker-slip-clematis-blue-chartreuse

You've asked an excellent question. The first time I climbed the falls (3 years ago?), we rented the cheapo plastic "sticky feet" shoes at a roadside stand. They worked...barely. Saw lots of folks who lost a shoe and it became a group activity to catch them as the current carried them downstream, then see if we could toss them back upstream to the right person. Last cruise, I bought some inexpensive water shoes online ( Zappos or SwimOutlet.com are both good). I just paid attention to the reviews, looked for flexible shoes with good traction, and -- MOST important -- adjustable ties or straps so you can really cinch them on tight. Slip-ons will most likely slip OFF at the worst time. I think I spent $13 and they worked great! You pay almost that much to rent them, and who knows how they are cleaned between customers... I now wear them whenever I'm around water. No worries about slipping on wet tile around the pool, or stubbing a toe on underwater rocks at the beach. They are comfy, dry quickly, and come in a rainbow of colors. Just look for shoes with straps or ties for a custom fit.

P.S. Don't miss out on climbing Dunn River Falls, even if you don't think you have "perfect" shoes. Take it from this ol' granny -- this will be one of your favorite shore excursions. It can be a bit challenging to stay on your feet at times -- good shoes WILL help -- but the climb is very gentle and so much fun!

I climbed it about 25 years ago, probably in keds. This is the shoe I wear now for water type activities and for touring. It actually doesn't look too bad on, not feminine, but not too bulky. It runs slightly small. I ordered up 1/2 size and it was perfect.

10757-796241-t.jpg

http://vip.zappos.com/keen-whisper-nile-neutral-grey

PS.. I agree with 'ol granny, Debra, don't miss the chance to do it. In my opinion it's the only redeeming value to going to Jamaica!

Absolutely Keens, absolutely something with straps to keep them firmly on your foot with no slipping.

I climbed the Falls with rubber Tevas which were cute and comfortable on dry land, but in the Falls my feet slipped sideways, and the flexible sole folded in awkward ways.

Also, the water is very likely to be COLD!

I know the guides want to have everyone hold hands in a line on the way up, but I felt much more confident being able to go at my own pace on all fours. :)

I climbed it about 25 years ago, probably in keds. This is the shoe I wear now for water type activities and for touring. It actually doesn't look too bad on, not feminine, but not too bulky. It runs slightly small. I ordered up 1/2 size and it was perfect.

10757-796241-t.jpg

http://vip.zappos.com/keen-whisper-nile-neutral-grey

Agree with this recommendation. I love these and wear them lots more than expected! Two pair this style..one beige, one beet. Also a couple of the whisper slides but the ones with back strap are more secure. Also ordered a half size up after reading all zappo reviews. Now addicted to Keens.

Vibram Five Fingers. They give you the same flexibility as going barefoot, but with excellent protection. The upper fabric is very thin and dries quickly. I have found them to be perfect for climbing the falls as well as general walking shoes. So comfortable!

I'll let you know how this works out in October. I am climbing the falls for the first time and plan to wear my Vibrams.

I know the guides want to have everyone hold hands in a line on the way up, but I felt much more confident being able to go at my own pace on all fours. :)

Are you allowed to do this? I would be much more comfortable on my own and with use of my hands. This is the one thing bothering me about climbing the falls, I don't want to hold hands in a chain of people.

I abandoned the hand-holding within the first few rocks, and the group went on without me. The guide showed the group the route to go - where to step, and such, but there were plenty of other people going solo, picking their own path. It's possible to leave the Falls and get back to the path that runs parallel, if you want to. Then you can meet up with your group at the top, for your ride back on the bus.

I abandoned the hand-holding within the first few rocks, and the group went on without me. The guide showed the group the route to go - where to step, and such, but there were plenty of other people going solo, picking their own path. It's possible to leave the Falls and get back to the path that runs parallel, if you want to. Then you can meet up with your group at the top, for your ride back on the bus.

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear it. The last cruise, I stayed on the ship and babysat while most of my family went to the falls. They were a whole group themselves, having 15 or so people. I would feel more comfortable if it were that way again, but this time will be DH and I only with a group of strangers from our ship.

By the way, YouTube has several videos of people climbing the Falls, and there are a lot of people going solo, without being part of a hand-holding chain.

I never even thought to look there. Will check it out. I've only seen stills from my family's trip and only had them in the photos.

On the subject of water shoes, can anyone recommend a water-fall-climbing shoe for a man with a very wide foot? My DH needs some and his feet are nearly as wide and tall as they are long. Kind of gross, really, my least favorite part of him. :eek: In regular shoes he wears 4E width. He has climbed the falls before in old tennis shoes, but said it was uncomfortable.

I would recommend Vibram five fingers...I've ditched any type of gym shoe and west these only. Due to them having various types you should check out a store that sells and let them know how you plan to use them and they can let you know which would be the best option as far as the bottoms of the shoes.

I did however climb the falls in a pair of north face sandals and they worked really well, never slipped once, and I'm pretty clumsy.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to head to a sports shop and look for Keen Whisper or Venice. I like the way they look and sound like they would be secure enough for the climb. If I can find them now maybe I can find them a little on sale.

Select colors are on sale now on Amazon for about $65!

Someone posted about having a 4E width and is having a hard time finding good water shoes. DH wears a 4E, too, and loves his Land's End water shoes. They have the elastic lacing, so stay very secure.

Thanks very much! I will check there now. :)

Don't get caught up in that long line going up the falls. It's more fun to go at your own pace and stop and do pictures when you want to.

They make a big production out of going up and it takes forever.

They try and intimidate you and get you in their line because that's how the get more tips.

My husband and I started at the top of the falls and walked down. We were wearing typical water shoes like you can buy at Walmart or Target.

We had no problems at all.

It's not hard do do on your own just watch where you step.It's not that slippery really.

Have fun!

Tropicqueen

Don't get caught up in that long line going up the falls. It's more fun to go at your own pace and stop and do pictures when you want to.

They make a big production out of going up and it takes forever.

They try and intimidate you and get you in their line because that's how the get more tips.

My husband and I started at the top of the falls and walked down. We were wearing typical water shoes like you can buy at Walmart or Target.

We had no problems at all.

It's not hard do do on your own just watch where you step.It's not that slippery really.

Have fun!

Tropicqueen

Thanks for the advice. We plan to go it on our own even though we will be with a group on an RCI excursion. I hope they don't make a scene about it.

Archived