Shoes for Waterfall Climbing?

wantocruisemore

Per someone else's advice, we wore old pairs of sneakers that we were going to throw out and just left them on a picnic table at the foot of the falls. We hadn't walked 10 feet away before a couple of the guides were trying them on for size and thanked us for them.

Our 2 families decided we wanted to go on our own - much more fun for our group. We're confident, relatively athletic - but had 4 kids with us - one who was just 3!

I'm so glad we did it on our own. We actually rented a van and drove there ourselves. Super easy and felt safe. Much cheaper than excursions/tour guide.

We were very careful to avoid the guides and not follow the groups because we didn't want to be badgered to tip them.

There was a long line when we got to the bottom of the falls. We entered the line but made sure to stay a few steps away from the large group in front of us.

We did have to join the chain for the first section. With the number of people there was just no safe way for us to bypass joining the chain. So for the first 5-10 mins, we held hands with the chain. The moment there was a safe break, we took an alternate route and just picked our own way up the Falls. MUCH more fun and adventurous this way. Plus, I hated holding on to someone else - I felt much safer picking my way up.

My DH and I did argue because he felt I should have been holding on to my friend's 7 yr old daughter (in front of me at that time), put my weight on her and just pull up. I was OK doing that when it was an adult in front of me - but I completely refused to put weight on a small child. I constantly worried that their grip on the person in front of them would falter and I would cause a child to fall. I probably worried overmuch - but oh well :)

We did make our own daisy chain for the most part. Over the more difficult bits, my friend's DH would stay in one spot and give us all a helping hand one by one until we were all safely across/up.

I would have felt comfortable doing it with just my DH as well. I really didn't see any need for the big chains of people. Just take it slow, test your footing carefully each time as the rocks are slippery and enjoy the adventure! This was a cruise highlight for me :)

I guess I just want to make sure the traction is good. I slipped on the boat dock a couple of years ago when I was wearing Tevas. I hit a slick spot going downhill. You would have thought they would have gripped, but they didn't. Now I'm on a search for Keens. I can wash them afterward.

I bought Keens with the big toe bumper for walking and wading on Galapagos Islands. Within the first day I fell twice and wiped out the $400 camera around my neck. The problem is that with that thick sole you don't feel the rocks and dips in the sand and catch your toe and pitch forward. 2nd problem is that on rocky surfaces with moss/sand/bird poo etc. the heavy soles filled with sand or mud and then it was a flat slick surface. I was not the only one to have problems with the Keens but this was a hard test for them and maybe for regular wear they would be OK. I was not impressed with the Keene at all -- not that supportive in arch, rocks got in the shoe through the holes and hurt, and I fell seriously twice and many almost fell experiences. Gave them away. :(

I climbed it about 25 years ago, probably in keds. This is the shoe I wear now for water type activities and for touring. It actually doesn't look too bad on, not feminine, but not too bulky. It runs slightly small. I ordered up 1/2 size and it was perfect.

10757-796241-t.jpg

http://vip.zappos.com/keen-whisper-nile-neutral-grey

PS.. I agree with 'ol granny, Debra, don't miss the chance to do it. In my opinion it's the only redeeming value to going to Jamaica!

I bought a pair of sandals that looks similar to these (I call them my Keen knock-offs)at payless shoes for $15. They are very comfortable, have good traction and are made to go in the water. I wore mine to hike to a waterfall and swim through a gorge in Dominica. I would definitely recommend this style of sandal for hiking to a waterfall.

• 3 weeks later...
I would recommend Vibram five fingers...I've ditched any type of gym shoe and west these only. Due to them having various types you should check out a store that sells and let them know how you plan to use them and they can let you know which would be the best option as far as the bottoms of the shoes.

I adore these for any watersports that don't require fins. They will take some getting used to (toes are independent in individual pockets) but you cannot beat the grip on those things or the ability to maneuver rough terrian.

I wore a pair of the old-style Tevas and got along fine. I've had them for years and mostly only use them on cruises. Probably a closed shoe of some kind would be better. Just be sure it fits snugly and has good traction.

We did not go up in one of the chains either; to me, that looks way to cumbersome, as well as slow. We did 'hire' a guy who took the two of us up and showed us the best places to climb, without having to hold hands. I needed my hands for climbing and balance!

It cost us $5 for the guiding and another $5 dollars for a polaroid picture he took of us, but actually the picture is great and he did a nice job of helping us up without being intrusive.

Archived