Baltimore Flight time

4FRCruising

Hi all

Never flown back from Baltimore. So not sure how far airport from pier, etc. Wondering what earliest time would be coming in on Grandeur of the Seas Friday 5/3/13. :confused:

The pier is not that far from the airport. Depending on which highway you take it's about 20-30 minutes, just take into account that traffic in the morning can be very heavy due to commuters heading to both Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

BWI is a busy airport -- busier than you would think because there are many military units (Naval Academy/Ft Meade/Pentagon etc.) coming and going. Security can be quick and easy or awful. Probably not worse than most airports but I would respect it an give at least to 11AM. Ft. Meade is a huge military base that is about 3 miles from airport boundary. I worked next to this facility in an ES and it was very regularly a nightmare. Not only traffic in the roads but at the base gates. Those guys with the guns at the gates did not take kindly to honking your horns to get them to move. :rolleyes: The pier in my experience has been easy to pick up and drop off (4 times for various relatives) but it is UNDER the spaghetti of roads that bring workers into the city and out of the city to Ft. Meade and DC so you have to make your way to the right road and I often end up somewhere else. DC and Baltimore and the suburb are one metro area now and we regretfully find that being 2 or 3 in worst traffic commute lists each year is no fun. I live approx. 20 miles from BWI on the DC suburb side. I leave at least an hour to get to the airport --90 minutes if before 11 AM.

BE VERY AWARE: All 3 airports use the WAS designation and since this is my home airport (BWI) know that you have to make sure your flight is out of BWI. Check and recheck because they do seem to mix it up. DCA is Reagan and it is further but has lots of good cheap flights (Think Congress and workers going home to every state). IAD is Dulles and it is a long long drive from Baltimore through LOTS of traffic.

Hope this helps. I know more information than you needed:p

Thank you all for your help.

Guessing I'll stick with my original plan of 2:35 p.m. (12:34 flight gets me home the same time...maybe RCI will have an after cruise tour that I can take that will drop me at the airport). I had looked at the 11:08 a.m. but thinking that might be a little too tight.

Driving won't work too well since this is a repo cruise. I would need to fly to SJU on Tuesday (and have to work that a.m.)so no time to drive....plus I'm terribly spoiled by having an airport just about in my front yard (less than 10 minutes from home to sitting at gate).

Already got my hotel in SJU for Tuesday night :)

Archived