Itinerary Recommendations: Sitka or Icy Straight Point?

sailandcruise

I've done one cruise to Alaska and have been to Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan. For a second cruise, I'd like to try some new ports. (Almost ?) all itineraries include Juneau and Ketchikan, but some stop at Sitka or Icy Straight Point. If anyone's been to both, please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of each. Thanks in advance. :)

And if anyone has suggestions for itineraries with any other ports (e.g., Haines, Hubbard Glacier) that are available on the mainstream lines please let me know about them too. I typically sail on Holland America, Celebrity, or Norwegian :); I try to avoid Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and I can't afford the more specialized lines. :( I'm looking for a one-week round trip from either Seattle or Vancouver; I don't think I can afford the cruise-tour itineraries that go further north and/or into the interior.

Gosh, it would be very hard for me to choose between Sitka or ISP - love both of them! Let me tell you a bit about our experiences with both.

I've been to Sitka four times, and would gladly live there if I could! It is a stunning little town surrounded by mountains and an active volcano, with an island studded harbor. Very much an Alaskan experience - not touristy like the other ports. Rich in Russian history. Love the walk along Sitka Sound to the Totem Park, be sure to stop at the volunteer aquarium right along the water front! Visuting the Raptor Center is a must for us - being up close and pesonal with those massive and elegant birds of prey is thrilling. Sitka is also a wonderful place to go on a wildlife excursion. We've used Capt. Davy at www.puffinsandwhales.com and loved that excursion. Saw whales, puffins, eagles, sealions, and sea otters (not to mention the delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies his wife brought to the boat before we shoved off;)!). Small six passenger boat, personalized service with an excellent informative captain. Last year, Davey was booked when we were in port, so he recommended another captain, Jim Seeland (sorry, can't remember the name of his company, but if you google his name, it will come up). We also enjoyed our time with Capt. Jim - same setup with the small six passenger boat. Wandering the streets of Sitka is a joy to the senses - the views are spectacular, the shops are quaint and you can often find wonderful handcrafted treasures around every corner. Be sure to try a reindeer sausage from the food cart on the corner with the only traffic light in town! See the native dancers at the visitor's center, tour the old Russian church, walk up the hill to see where Alaska was turned over to the United States all those years ago, take a 4X4 excursion on Kruzhof (spelling?) Island for a fun and adventurous experience. Sitka is a beautiful place to give you a touch of the real Alaska.

I've only visited ISP (Hoonah) once - August of 2012 - but it made me want more, and I'd go back again and again if I could! In fact, someday, I'd like to spend four or five days there, just drinking in the experience. Excellent port for whale watching and bear viewing, and we had the most amazing day with Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge. Again, small 6 passenger boat. We were so fortunate to experience numerous instances of breaching and bubblenet feeding very close to our boat - it was nothing short of spectacular! Afterwards, my niece and her boyfriend toured the town and had lunch with Dan's wife, Hope, while I was off on my bear search with our guide Patrick. We again struck gold - having the opportunity to watch a young brown bear fishing for salmon the stream right beneath the bridge we were standing on for 45 minutes, then later, again hit the jackpot with a large male brown bear eating his way thru a berry patch on the side of the road, quite close to our van. Hoonah itself is a very small town, the REAL Alaska - nothing fancy or showy. No tourist shops to speak of, a couple of restaurants, the harbor area and some amazing views. The port of ISP was built by the cruiselines in an old cannery which has been nicely remodeled to a gift shop, museum, and greeting area for when you tender to shore. You can walk along the water to the town of Hoonah itself, or take a tour that they will pick you up at the cannery. I believe it has the longest zipline in the world but since I don't do heights, I've never looked into it. Kayaking would be wonderful around these calm waters with the opportunity for seeing whales excellent from behind your paddle, or even walking along the shore (we saw several whales breaching while riding HAL's tender to the pier!). Beautiful, beautiful port with no Diamonds International in sight!

I'd highly recommend either port - though I know that for some ISP may be TOO isolated, and without an excursion may not be as enjoyable. Not me - give me ports like these two any time!:D For those who like adventure, beautiful scenery and wildlife excursions, ISP would be right up there at number one.

Whichever you choose with these two ports, you cannot go wrong. Here's a thought - take a northbound on a cruiseline that stops at Sitka (HAL would be my recommendation!), and then a southbound on a cruiseline that stops at ISP - best of both worlds!:D

(Whichever you choose with these two ports, you cannot go wrong. Here's a thought - take a northbound on a cruiseline that stops at Sitka (HAL would be my recommendation!), and then a southbound on a cruiseline that stops at ISP - best of both worlds!:D

AIP: Are you aware of any one way cruises that go to Sitka? The only cruises on the mainstream lines that I have seen that stop at Sitka are round trips. It would be great if there are some one itineraries that stop at Sitka.

I also have been to both Icy Strait/Hoonah and Sitka. In fact, I have been in Sitka on Alaska Day (October 18) and that town really throws a party to celebrate.

I like both very much and would also have a hard time choosing between them. Sitka is rather "arty" and Hoonah reminds my husband of Ketchikan (he worked out of there in the 1970s doing geological exploration) before it became so touristy.

Thanks so much AIP for your detailed and informative reply. :D I wish I could visit both ports, but unfortunately will have only one week. I think I'll enjoy either one, and will end up choosing based on other factors. I'm considering HAL round trip Seattle on the Westerdam, which visits Sitka and Glacier Bay, or Celebrity round trip Vancouver on Century for Hubbard Glacier and Icy Straight Point, or perhaps one-way on Millenium also with Icy Straight Point and Hubbard Glacier. All the itineraries take me back to Juneau and Ketchikan; and Glacier Bay warrants a return visit, event though I usually like to try new places. My decision will probably come down to price and dates. I've enjoyed both HAL and X in the past so either line would be OK.

If I had to choose I'd pick charming Sitka and its Russian history but both are lovely. Be aware that they aren't especially sheltered so if the seas are rough tendering and tours can be affected and its not unheard of for these stops to be skipped altogether in those circumstances.

Archived