Does Tahiti (Papeete) have only 7 hotels?!?

RumRunner01

Myself and a friend have to do a 2 day pre-cruise and a 1-day post cruise stay due to flights coinciding with our TP 11/20/05 cruise. We have spent the past 3 days, each of us, trying to find availability for 3 adults at *any* hotel and everything is saying booked up. We have been searching the following as this is all that we can find to check:

- InterContinental Resort Tahiti

- Le Mandarin

- Le Meridien Tahiti

- Le Royal Tahitien

- Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti

- Sheraton Hotel Tahiti

- Sofitel Maeva Beach Tahiti

Is it possible that Princess or another cruise line books rooms up ahead to sell to cruise passengers? This is getting ridiculous. I know we have time but I can't believe that there are only 7 hotels in Tahiti and that they are all booked up.

Have you tried calling a travel agent or the hotel (or their US reservations line) directly? When we first started planning our land vacation to FP we ran into a lot of hotels that looked booked when, in fact, the prices hadn't been released yet. So they weren't booked, just unbookable yet.

If you haven't already, my first action would be to call the hotels or a TA.

Also, check out www.tahiti-explorer.com. The forums there are wonderful, and might offer some insight on the less well known hotels.

... Is it possible that Princess or another cruise line books rooms up ahead to sell to cruise passengers? ...

I was trying to get the Intercontinental Beachcomer for March/2006. The OWB are sold-out already. It is possible they are on hold for the cruise. I searched back every 10 days or so and they are booked each date that is a pre-cruise, cruise, or post-cruise for the Princess 10-day schedule. Some are available the farther from the embarkation dates. We booked an OWB Suite, but I will be watching the site to see if any non-suite OWBs open up. Maybe when final payment is due something will release.

Jmike, we have checked the Beachcomber many times, in my list I copied from a Tahiti website they are calling it just the InterContinental.

Laurasue, I think that our only alternative is to try a TA now. Maybe they can gain access that the normal public can't. And contacting the hotel directly is a good idea. I had to do this with some hotels when I was planning my London trip.

Laurieb, I have thought about Moorea but we arrive too late on our first night to take the ferrie across (or so I've read) and I'm not sure if we'll want to move to another hotel for just one night after our first. But for our post-cruise night we might consider this. I have heard Moorea is much nicer to stay on.

Mich, thank you for your insisght. It's interesting to see that the Beachcomber is booked up coinciding with cruises. I'm glad you were able to book there. We are still keeping our eyes open.

If you are just considering larger resort style hotels..those may be it...but there are also some hotels downtown..that may work for justa few nights..Le Mandarin, Tiare Tahiti are two..they are not huge resort places but could work if everything else is truly booked up.

I just booked 2 nights at the Sheraton for our Sept 1 cruise. I actually originally looked up prices on cheaptickets.com and got a good price($189 a night for garden room) whereas when I went to their own site, the same room was listed in the upper $200's) I wound up buying through Expedia because they listed the same room at $182 a night..but they also made it easier for me to book two rooms at once on one credit card..so check the travel sites as well..and of course if you have a good local TA..they could help...but even after all my research online..I found the travel sites gave me the best pricing!

Call the Intercontinental hotel directly. I was able to book a Garden View room for March 2006 and they don't even show up on their website. They told me it was because the 2006 rates weren't out yet but the website doesn't explain that so calling is the best way to go and make sure you follow it up with a fax confirming everything and ask them to fax you back a confirmation.

Jackie

Archived