Queen Victoria - Adriatic Discovery departing 3 October 2012 has been CANCELED

zider

If I am not mistaking, the azipods of QM2 are located inside the hull and are moved out of it to allow the ship's maneuvering. :confused:

No, there are 4 pods suspended beneath the hull of QM2, two of them move through 360 degrees to steer and two them are fixed in position.

Cunard are probably in damage limitation thingy...

Remember what happened with QM2 a few years back when she smacked a pod in Florida and ended up bypassing the entire Caribbean (no bad thing IMHO), went straight to Rio and ended up with the Commodore being taken a virtual hostage and getting summarily fleeced by every ambulance chasing lawyer on the planet over what was a misfortunate whoopsie?

Old Vicky has a problem in her oomph department, Cunard will be wanting to avoid taking her off on a long cruise that could end up being stifled before it begins.....(thinking Celebrity Century a few years back when she had a similar whoopsie with her oomph department that meant everyone on board had a great time in drydock instead of cruising the Med as planned).

Personally, I would rather have a cruise cancelled/replaced than have the concern of waking up one morning, going out on deck to sniff the sea breezes, only to find that I was on dry land...despite being on the ship....and facing a choice of staying in the concrete bath without any water or flying home disgruntled and peeved and wishing that Cunard had just cancelled the cruise since they knew something was wrong....

Catch 22 anyone?

No, there are 4 pods suspended beneath the hull of QM2, two of them move through 360 degrees to steer and two them are fixed in position.

Yes, and there are more propellers inside the hull which allow QM2 to turn by 360°. These and the azipods make a rudder unnecessary.

Hmmmm...

... we're on the voyage before this one - departing Thursday - there is apparently a letter from Cunard doing the rounds announcing itinerary changes but I haven't received it yet. Sympathy to everyone on the 3 Oct cruise.

J

Cruachan, best of luck to you & your fellow passengers & crew. Horrible for the folks on the cancelled cruise - especially those who are not receiving adequate compensation from Cunard, but it must also a bit disconcerting for those on the cruises both before and after repairs are made.

While I don't doubt that dry-dock is necessary to avoid more serious consequences, there are many questions about how Cunard handled this matter. Trust must be earned, and I don't think CCL is doing too well in that regard; unfortunately, passenger loyalty fades as a result.

Salacia

CCL stockholder

Cunard Platinum

HAL 2-star Mariner

Princess past passenger

Yes, and there are more propellers inside the hull which allow QM2 to turn by 360°. These and the azipods make a rudder unnecessary.

The two aft AZIPODS (of the four) on QM2 on their own make a rudder unnecessary.

Bow thrusters are never used in open waters when the ship is at speed.

Many ships have had bow thrusters AND a rudder.

I know nothing at all about these things, but are you thinking that it may be too old to be what the QV has?

Yes, I am thinking that the ship in the picture (with what looks very much like a rudder and propeller shaft) is far too old to be QV.

Most blades on the propellers of modern ships are stainless steel, bolted on. The screw in the picture looks like old fashioned manganese-bronze to me. But I am not an expert.

Yes, I am thinking that the ship in the picture (with what looks very much like a rudder and propeller shaft) is far too old to be QV.

Most blades on the propellers of modern ships are stainless steel, bolted on. The screw in the picture looks like old fashioned manganese-bronze to me. But I am not an expert.

So do you have any idea what the problem might be? And is the ship safe for the cruise coming up tomorrow? J noted that they had changed the docks in some ports in some cases making maneuverabilty of the ship easier. That can't be a good thing can it?

So do you have any idea what the problem might be? And is the ship safe for the cruise coming up tomorrow? J noted that they had changed the docks in some ports in some cases making maneuverabilty of the ship easier. That can't be a good thing can it?

I have no idea what the problem is, and seem to have missed the annoucement from Cunard that said that she had shed a propeller blade... perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

(if this is true, and she has shed a blade, this has been happening to even the largest vessels since ships first went to sea with propellers).

I have no doubt that they wouldn't allow her to sail unless it was safe to do so. Changing ports may have nothing to do with this issue. There may be additional vibration and noise at speed. I presume they have to fix the problem now, before the world cruise...

I feel very sorry for the people who have had their cruise cancelled.

I'm not sure how I would feel, a month away from having a great holiday. I would feel, I think, that no compensation would ease the disappointment. That an automatic refund and 50% off the next cruise (NOT OBC) would be a start. 15% is not good enough, sounds like the result of a bean-counters conference "I think 10%" "I think 20%", so they reached a compromise. I have zero faith in Mr. Shanks. Cunard has survived since 1840, he may destroy it yet.

Well, I'm awfully disappointed to return to this thread only to discover Cunard is failing miserably in executing its compensation offer and delivering customer service. I hope affected passengers will continue to press their claims for reimbursement of expenses associated with the cancellation (it's unbelievable they are refusing them!) and also that claim for transfer of the OBC to the replacement cruise (also incredible they've denied that!). :mad:

Best wishes to all forced to deal with this, as well as those whose voyages will sail but on compromised terms.

I have no idea what the problem is, and seem to have missed the annoucement from Cunard that said that she had shed a propeller blade... perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

(if this is true, and she has shed a blade, this has been happening to even the largest vessels since ships first went to sea with propellers).

I have no doubt that they wouldn't allow her to sail unless it was safe to do so. Changing ports may have nothing to do with this issue. There may be additional vibration and noise at speed. I presume they have to fix the problem now, before the world cruise...

I'm not sure how I would feel, a month away from having a great holiday. I would feel, I think, that no compensation would ease the disappointment. That an automatic refund and 50% off the next cruise (NOT OBC) would be a start. 15% is not good enough, sounds like the result of a bean-counters conference "I think 10%" "I think 20%", so they reached a compromise. I have zero faith in Mr. Shanks. Cunard has survived since 1840, he may destroy it yet.

Thank you Pepper. I really am trying to understand what this is all about.:)

Thank you Pepper. I really am trying to understand what this is all about.:)

If you do understand it The Real PM, please explain it to me :) , and you'll be several steps ahead of shore-side who fail to understand anything about passengers, people and customer good-will. Very best wishes :) .

If you do understand it The Real PM, you'll be several steps ahead of shore-side who fail to understand anything about passengers, people and customer good will. Very best wishes :) .

OK, I believe I read that the passengers on the cancelled cruise will either get a full refund and 15% or Cunard will try and find an existing cruise from the Cunard fleet plus 15%. Now while I think that is not what I have heard that people have received in the past (when passengers received a free cruise and a refund for cancellations like this one), everything has changed since those days. And although I would be very disappointed, I think I would accept the offer.

Or did I read wrong?

OK, I believe I read that the passengers on the cancelled cruise will either get a full refund and 15% or Cunard will try and find an existing cruise from the Cunard fleet plus 15%. Now while I think that is not what I have heard that people have received in the past (when passengers received a free cruise and a refund for cancellations like this one), everything has changed since those days. And although I would be very disappointed, I think I would accept the offer. Or did I read wrong?

Thank you! That was what I thought I remembered from the past, refund and free cruise. Thank you for your confirmation! :) .

I feel that, even these days, refund and 50% off another cruise should be the minimum this close to sailing date. Less than a week's notice and it should be refund and a free cruise to the same value. All best wishes.

OK, I believe I read that the passengers on the cancelled cruise will either get a full refund and 15% or Cunard will try and find an existing cruise from the Cunard fleet plus 15%. Now while I think that is not what I have heard that people have received in the past (when passengers received a free cruise and a refund for cancellations like this one), everything has changed since those days. And although I would be very disappointed, I think I would accept the offer.

Or did I read wrong?

Hi The Real PM. That's the way I read the offer too. But if I was booked on that cruise, I would have already purchased round-trip airfare from NY to London, made hotel reservations, tour arrangements, and purchased a few new snazzy outfits in addition to making all the other necessary scheduling arrangements. So all that, in addition to having paid my fare in full months ago, means I'd be in the hole for a substantial amount of money. Like you, I'd be very disappointed - but I wouldn't accept the offer as it has been related by previous posters. I think it's just too little, too late. -S

I am no expert of course, but that looks like a propeller shaft and rudder to me in the first photo. Does QV have propeller shafts and a rudder? Or two steerable pods? And that propeller looks a little "old fashioned" compared with newer screws. Of course, I am usually wrong about these things, sorry.

Pepper you are quite right. My husband is a marine engineer and I have just shown the photo to him and he confirms what you say. Not the posters fault, of course, but, sadly, on this occasion, the photo found on the Internet is incorrect and is not off the Queen Victoria. I am now looking at my Queen Victoria photo CD - which I bought in the bookshop onboard - and on page 8 of said CD (for anyone else who has it) it states:

"Main Propellers

For propulsion is installed two pod propeller units provided with fixed pitch propellers where speed of the ship is regulated by the rotational speed of the propellers. The pod units are delivered by ABB of Finland. The pods can be turned 360 degrees in order to steer the water jet in any direction but at service speed the "rudder angle" is limited to 2x35 degrees. Total propulsion power is 35,200 kW."

I hope this helps. Perhaps I should say that the CD is produced by a Norwegian company so the English grammar isn't always 100% correct and I have simply copied what is written.

I would also like to say commiserations to everyone affected by the problem - whatever it is - and shame on Cunard for not treating their customers better.

Hi The Real PM. That's the way I read the offer too. But if I was booked on that cruise, I would have already purchased round-trip airfare from NY to London, made hotel reservations, tour arrangements, and purchased a few new snazzy outfits in addition to making all the other necessary scheduling arrangements. So all that, in addition to having paid my fare in full months ago, means I'd be in the hole for a substantial amount of money. Like you, I'd be very disappointed - but I wouldn't accept the offer as it has been related by previous posters. I think it's just too little, too late. -S

Good point. Not sure if I missed it somewhere but is air fare penalties covered?? Most other lines do that.

Good point. Not sure if I missed it somewhere but is air fare penalties covered?? Most other lines do that.

Jim, I'm not at all sure what Cunard is covering, but from what posters have written previously, it doesn't seem like all reasonable requests are even being given proper consideration, despite Cunard's letter (posted by Zider) stating that "We will consider the refund of reasonable expenses that you have incurred as a result of this cancellation".

I wonder if passengers who booked in countries other than the UK have received notification of the cancelled cruise yet? -S.

While I sympathise with those affected by this change of plans, I note that Cunard is at least offering something, however small, as compensation. Back in 1976 when Cunard was really Cunard, we had our plans messed up. We were booked on the QE2 from New York to Southampton, then after a short stay we were taking a Royal Mail Ship of the Union-Castle Line to South Africa. About a month before the crossing, the QE2 had an explosion in the engine room. Temporary repairs were made, but for the rest of the season the crossings were extended from five to seven days. This meant the entire schedule was redrawn and it was no longer possible for us to take the QE2 to connect in Southampton; our longer trip on Union-Castle was more important than the Atlantic crossing. Cunard offered a refund and nothing else. We had to fly to London and, admittedly, that was cheaper than the first class steamship fare we had paid for the QE2.

I wrote to the company hinting that some offer such as a discount on a further voyage would be nice compensation. All I got was a further apology - not even a brass Farthing, as my grandmother used to say.

i'm so sorry for everyone's disappointment. problems happen, but it is how the problems are handled that make the difference.

proper compensation should be a full refund + the same amount the cruiseline would charge the passenger if the passenger were to cancel on the same short notice.

While I sympathise with those affected by this change of plans, I note that Cunard is at least offering something, however small, as compensation. Back in 1976 when Cunard was really Cunard, we had our plans messed up. We were booked on the QE2 from New York to Southampton, then after a short stay we were taking a Royal Mail Ship of the Union-Castle Line to South Africa. About a month before the crossing, the QE2 had an explosion in the engine room. Temporary repairs were made, but for the rest of the season the crossings were extended from five to seven days. This meant the entire schedule was redrawn and it was no longer possible for us to take the QE2 to connect in Southampton; our longer trip on Union-Castle was more important than the Atlantic crossing. Cunard offered a refund and nothing else. We had to fly to London and, admittedly, that was cheaper than the first class steamship fare we had paid for the QE2.

I wrote to the company hinting that some offer such as a discount on a further voyage would be nice compensation. All I got was a further apology - not even a brass Farthing, as my grandmother used to say.

Sorry about your misfortune David. It's interesting that all these years later, you still remember how you were treated by Cunard - and it's not a happy memory.

Thirty six years later, things have changed: now there are stronger consumer protection laws. The cruise industry has grown to a point where competition is fierce. With more ships being built, competition will increase, making passenger loyalty even more important than ever. Many more holiday/travel options are available now to fit various budgets, and the Internet provides ready access to research those options. So while I agree with you that some small form of compensation is better than the nothing you received, it doesn't float well in the current market. Regards, -S.

My Wife and I were booked on this cruise for our 47th wedding anniversary and my 71st birthday we are dissapointed but nothing can be done.We veiwed the other cruises but we wanted to visit Venice The nextcruise will be September 2013 so maybe we will do that one. My TA is great she spoke to Cunard and has been able to allow us to use the 15% on P&O if we choose to also she has advised me to furnish Cunard with our travel insurance receipts of which i have done.I agree that the 15% is derisory and i booked our cruise in November 2011 so they have had our money in their bank making them money.We hope everyone gets sorted quickly:)

I'm not sure how I would feel, a month away from having a great holiday. I would feel, I think, that no compensation would ease the disappointment. That an automatic refund and 50% off the next cruise (NOT OBC) would be a start.

15% is not good enough, sounds like the result of a bean-counters conference "I think 10%" "I think 20%", so they reached a compromise.

I have zero faith in Mr. Shanks. Cunard has survived since 1840, he may destroy it yet.

:(

Pepperrn:

Thank you for being so honest. Having spent many hours reading your posts, as I prepare for our Cunard crossing, I've read of the love you have for Cunard's ships-especially the Queen Mary2-and I so appreciate that you are not allowing that to cloud your view of what is just and fair for those who have had long term plans cancelled and the poor way Cunard has treated them. I can't imagine after planning for so long and making so many reservations and getting all the boxes 'ticked' just so, to not only have my trip cancelled (which is bad enough) but to be shown such poor regard when needing assistance and help when faced the mess the cancellation had caused.

I agree with what you have written. I think your 50 per cent is fair. I also believe that Cunard should cover the loss of money for flights, hotels, etc. To read what has been written about how poorly they have been treated when they phone makes me very upset.

I want to show a contrast with how RCCL helped their customers when the Allure got changed from a 7 day cruise to a five day cruise due to the topical storm the first of September:

By Kmagz:

RCCL & THE WEATHER & BEING A CLASSY COMPANY: When I spoke to RCCL’s Emergency Weather hotline people on Saturday they initially said RCCL would book hotels for us. They had an all-hands-on-deck response team with the phone lines open 24/7. At one point it sounded like I was talking to some RCCL employee sitting in his mom’s basement talking on a PlaySkool CellFone but at least I got to speak to SOMEONE from my rainy, windy hotel room!

By Sunday AM (read: “The-Day-I-SHOULD-Have-Been-Leaving-For- A-7-Night-Cruise”) RCCL said we should instead book our own hotels probably because the logistics of them booking all the rooms proved too tough. But RCCL would reimburse us up to $125 per night per cabin for hotels as well as $100 per person per day for food. AND up to $50 for transport to the cruise terminal on Tuesday. And on top of that they were giving $650 per cabin in OBC for each of our Central Park Balcony cabins AND 10% discount on our next cruise. (Unused OBC is refundable.)

In my opinion this is INCREDIBLY generous of RCCL. I did NOT purchase insurance from them. They do NOT control the weather. They are under zero obligation to do anything for us financially (probably stated right in the cruise contract if I could understand the lawyer-talk.) And RCCL stepped up. In actuality, I would have expected SOMETHING for the days lost on board but offering to pick up the hotel, food & transport went above and beyond. They essentially gave us the coverage as if we had trip insurance. (For the record I do purchase trip insurance from a third party but probably can’t file a claim since RCCL is making us whole.) The OBC covered us almost to the penny for the lost days on board based on the price we paid for our cabins.

Her complete review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700129&highlight=oasis+five+day+cruise

Now that is great customer service. These people didn't even lose their whole cruise as those dealing with Cunard did, but two days.

So when people read the two difference responses between RCCL and Cunard in dealing with their customers, which company is the one that is giving true

'white star service'?

What is White Star Service?

Cunard is synonymous with elegance, luxury and its renowned White Star Service which sets the standard by which all others are judged. Cunard’s commitment to ensuring each guest is pampered begins at the White Star Academy where each crew member is trained to provide impeccable service.

The guest’s experience of Cunard’s White Star programme begins with the classic white gloved embarkation greeting and once on board, all crew will ensure no detail is overlooked. From the exquisite White Gloved Afternoon Tea Service in the Queens Room to a personalised concierge service, every moment on board is extraordinary and every guest is a valued member of the Cunard family.

I believe that those who serve on Cunard's beautiful ships do have the famous 'white star/glove service' down pretty pat, however, those in charge of Cunard would do well to learn that from the minute a person purchases a voyage from their company that that 'white glove' care to each detail should begin at that point. Do not advertise yourself as being the standard bearer by which all other lines should be judged, when that standard leaves your customers-who have put their good faith, their hard earned money and their much anticipated holidays in your hands- feeling so upset and 'at sea' on their own. Certainly not as a 'valued member of the Cunard family'!

Pepperrn, I also want to thank you for always replying to people in a kind manner, not ever demeaning them or their problems but treating them with respect-regardless of their questions or their replies. Cunard is very fortunate to have you in their corner as nothing puts people off as snippy replies done at their personal expense. So, again, thank you...you are as classy as Queen Mary2.

Due to problems on board QE2 in 2007, I also had a 4 week cruise cancelled on 2 days notice and only received a refund of the cruise fare. I was happy to receive the refund and did not expect anything else from them. I also had laid out a lot of money on dresses etc. and just put it down to bad luck.

Louise

:(

Pepperrn:

Thank you for being so honest. Having spent many hours reading your posts, as I prepare for our Cunard crossing, I've read of the love you have for Cunard's ships-especially the Queen Mary2-and I so appreciate that you are not allowing that to cloud your view of what is just and fair for those who have had long term plans cancelled and the poor way Cunard has treated them....

Seasidegal, I appreciate your post in it's entirety, but I quoted this part because you expressed so well what I was also thinking. Cheers, -S.

Archived