Queen Victoria - Adriatic Discovery departing 3 October 2012 has been CANCELED

zider

Queen Victoria - Adriatic Discovery departing 3 October 2012 has been CANCELED.

A note from Cunard Cruises...

Queen Victoria – Adriatic Discovery

Voyage V224 – Departing 3 October 2012

I am very sorry to have to advise you that we have unfortunately had to cancel this voyage. This is an incredibly rare occurrence and I am very sorry that we have had to cancel at such short notice.

It has become apparent that we need to undertake some essential maintenance work on one of Queen Victoria’s propulsion units. Although there are no safety issues relating to this maintenance, it does preclude us from achieving the speeds required to deliver our voyage itineraries and therefore it will be necessary to take the ship out of service for a short period.

Recognising how much you will have been looking forward to sailing with us, we have listed overleaf some voyages where we still have availability. We are able to transfer some or all of your voyage fare to a new booking, and in addition, will provide you an additional credit of 15% of the fare paid for voyage V224 in recognition of this late change to your travel plans. Alternatively, you may wish to receive a full refund of the cost of your fare, and we will set up a credit of 15% of the fare paid for you to enjoy at a later date. We calculate the value of your credit to be £«FCC_Amount» per person.

Please contact your travel agent by19 September 2012 to confirm that you have received this message and wish to either transfer monies paid to a new booking, utilising the future voyage credit we have offered, or to be refunded your fare in full via your agent. We will consider the refund of reasonable expenses that you have incurred as a result of this cancellation.

Once again please accept my apology for having to make such a late cancellation to your voyage as well as the disruption and upset this no doubt will have caused. Please also be assured that we have not taken the decision to cancel lightly, but it is very important that we undertake this essential maintenance at the earliest opportunity.

I very much hope that you may choose to travel with us on Queen Victoria or another Cunard ship in the future.

A note from Cunard Cruises...

Queen Victoria – Adriatic Discovery

Voyage V224 – Departing 3 October 2012

I am very sorry to have to advise you that we have unfortunately had to cancel this voyage. This is an incredibly rare occurrence and I am very sorry that we have had to cancel at such short notice.

It has become apparent that we need to undertake some essential maintenance work on one of Queen Victoria’s propulsion units. Although there are no safety issues relating to this maintenance, it does preclude us from achieving the speeds required to deliver our voyage itineraries and therefore it will be necessary to take the ship out of service for a short period.

Recognising how much you will have been looking forward to sailing with us, we have listed overleaf some voyages where we still have availability. We are able to transfer some or all of your voyage fare to a new booking, and in addition, will provide you an additional credit of 15% of the fare paid for voyage V224 in recognition of this late change to your travel plans. Alternatively, you may wish to receive a full refund of the cost of your fare, and we will set up a credit of 15% of the fare paid for you to enjoy at a later date. We calculate the value of your credit to be £«FCC_Amount» per person.

Please contact your travel agent by19 September 2012 to confirm that you have received this message and wish to either transfer monies paid to a new booking, utilising the future voyage credit we have offered, or to be refunded your fare in full via your agent. We will consider the refund of reasonable expenses that you have incurred as a result of this cancellation.

Once again please accept my apology for having to make such a late cancellation to your voyage as well as the disruption and upset this no doubt will have caused. Please also be assured that we have not taken the decision to cancel lightly, but it is very important that we undertake this essential maintenance at the earliest opportunity.

I very much hope that you may choose to travel with us on Queen Victoria or another Cunard ship in the future.

My sympathies to all the people effected by this, GOSH if this happened to me on QM2 when I travel I'd have a melt down! GOSH I hope people are going to be ok, Its frustrating but I guess you do need propulsion to get through the water so, oh gee i'm trying to find a reason to look on the bright side, I can't so go have a strong drink! I feel bad for people :-(

Post Script:- 50% compensation I deem fair, 15% insulting considering time till due travel, if it was months, fair enough, 15% is an insult!

Hmmmm...

... we're on the voyage before this one - departing Thursday - there is apparently a letter from Cunard doing the rounds announcing itinerary changes but I haven't received it yet. Sympathy to everyone on the 3 Oct cruise.

J

Hmmmm...

... we're on the voyage before this one - departing Thursday - there is apparently a letter from Cunard doing the rounds announcing itinerary changes but I haven't received it yet. Sympathy to everyone on the 3 Oct cruise.

J

Black sea cruise will be affected by a morning rather than afternnoon call at Palma and that Oporto has been replaced by Vigo.

Black sea cruise will be affected by a morning rather than afternnoon call at Palma and that Oporto has been replaced by Vigo.

Yup, that synchs with what I've been hearing. They are talking about an all day call at Palma. I'm getting a bit sick of the sight of Vigo now - QE pulled out of a port call at Oporto last year and we went to Vigo instead.

I just hope I don't get to the terminal on Thursday to discover they've pulled the Black Sea cruise as well. I'd better try to check in here regularly while we're in the Holiday Inn on Wednesday night.

J

Yes...we noticed that..possibly a try out to see if the repair is OK before the ship leaves on the 20 nighter to follow.

Or they are trying to to get some money back after having to cancel the cruise.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking she will probably be dry-docked in Hamburg, so that two-nighter will be a repositioning cruise back to Soton.

J

Booked the Adriatic cruise V224 - LAST NOVEMBER and paid the full invoice in June. All this for my 70th birthday.

Today received the letter of cancellation (published a couple of times above) with a list of possible alternative cruises. I have been through the list, all with a very limited choice of accommodation options from a very limited list, a really poor show from what I have always regarded as the "cream" of cruise line Companies.

I also feel that 15% compensation from a cruise booked 11 months ago and paid in full almost five months ago is derisory. I have already booked and paid the deposit for a further cruise on the QV for next May, strangely enough I have something of a sour taste in my mouth.........................

Just a guess, but I'm thinking she will probably be dry-docked in Hamburg, so that two-nighter will be a repositioning cruise back to Soton.

J

I hate to say this since you were so looking forward to seeing (O)Porto on your upcoming trip...we ported there in March on the QV as well as Vigo. It was a very interesting visit... so I'm sorry to see you are being redirected to Vigo instead..You could see it was pretty much still as it had originally been built from centuries ago... and is definitely well worth a visit if you do ever get a chance to go !

I would be devastated but machinery can break down. A friend was on board the QV this summer and they had some problems and he thought the explanation they gave sounded a little lame. I guess there was more to the story.

How disappointing for everyone who was booked on that voyage!

As a shareholder, I'm pleased the company will be making all clients whole plus giving them a 15% credit. It sounds like a responsible "good will" offer. And as an unaffected traveler, I think 15% credit sounds like fair compensation for the disappointment and aggravation of having to sort out alternate plans.

But several of you seem to think Cunard's offer of a substitute cruise or full refund + reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket + 15% credit isn't enough. Just wondering, what would be enough? Have you incurred a related loss that Cunard's offer doesn't address?

Again, I am sorry to those of you who are impacted by this development. Best wishes on re-arranging your travel plans.

We were booked on this cruise. We haven't received the letter yet but our TA rang at lunchtime. I felt like I had been hit with a sledgehammer.

We have managed to transfer to a later cruise but this has had so many knock-on effects that you don't think off. The hotel in Southampton was booked on a non transferable rate for instance. Also, I am a Childminder looking after children from 5 different families. Some of them had arranged their holidays to coincide with mine, meaning they will now have huge problems covering the rearranged cruise. I could go on!

It has been (and still is) a total nightmare trying to sort out all the problems changing our holiday at such a late date has caused!!

By the way, we booked our cruise last June!!

Sarah

I am so sorry to hear this news :( I can't imagine how I would feel but I know it would not bee good.

I was on QV at the end of August and we arrived in Zeebrugge later than planned and did not dock in Southampton until turned 7am so now I know why.

Like other passengers due to go on the V224 cruise, my family are really disappointed about the lack of options as a result of the cancelled cruise.

:mad:

Full refund and 15% on board credit is not sufficent for over 12 months booking to celebrate a 50th birthday on QueenVictoria, books, travel money and extra outfits. It is a long time to look forward to this family celebrate and watch it be let down with a poorly written letter. Now all the chaos happens trying to find other options for these dates.

Does anyone know what is the complaint process for Cunard?

It is very strange that information isn't provided in the letter!

I posted earlier regarding my great disappointment at the cancellation of the QV cruise V224, but being an optimist (the best thing that ever happened in my working life was to have been made redundant 15 years ago - never looked back since), I contact a TA who e-mails me regularly but who I have never used.

Got a great deal on the Celebrity Eclipse, balcony suite, great upgrade, UK to UK cruising to the Azores and the Canaries in October, free transport to and from Southampton and almost £600 less than the V224 cruise (this will help with the on board account). Now looking forward to the cruise as we've never been on Celebrity before.

Have spoken to Cunard, full refund agreed and some £750 has already credited off our next QV voyage next May and an amended invoice received via e-mail.

Hey, don't get despondent, chase a good TA, seek out a good deal and have the cruise that you know you deserve....................

I posted earlier regarding my great disappointment at the cancellation of the QV cruise V224, but being an optimist (the best thing that ever happened in my working life was to have been made redundant 15 years ago - never looked back since), I contact a TA who e-mails me regularly but who I have never used.

I booked this trip last Nov and received a letter last night.I've had a complete nightmare this morning from Cunard and a total lack of sympathy. The letter states they will refund expenses booked for this voyage (insurance, booked train fares etc,) this they are now refusing to do and regard the 15% as a huge favour. I decided to transfer my booking to a short break on the Qeen Mary 2 and asked if I could have an onboard credit of about $50 to ease my pain. Absolutly not.

For the sake of $50 they have lost a platinum family who always travel queen's Grill.

Never again with Cunard or Carnival, I just couldn't trust them. I would have more faith in Albert Trotter

I booked this trip last Nov and received a letter last night.I've had a complete nightmare this morning from Cunard and a total lack of sympathy. The letter states they will refund expenses booked for this voyage (insurance, booked train fares etc,) this they are now refusing to do and regard the 15% as a huge favour. I decided to transfer my booking to a short break on the Qeen Mary 2 and asked if I could have an onboard credit of about $50 to ease my pain. Absolutly not.

For the sake of $50 they have lost a platinum family who always travel queen's Grill.

Never again with Cunard or Carnival, I just couldn't trust them. I would have more faith in Albert Trotter

I feel your pain, perhaps trying calling back tomorrow & speak to a different person, call early in the day, first thing when they have not been swamped & drilled by anxious furious passengers (not saying you were) you may get a different response. Nothing to loose??

Good luck!!! :)

The ship is due, I believe, to reposition soon down to the Caribbean for the winter season there and so guess they had to get it done now too before the ship makes the long trek down there - and also risk of bigger issues when ship so far from her "home" port and the German shipyard they use to do repairs...

Not much help though to those affected. But explains the timing I guess..

I feel your pain, perhaps trying calling back tomorrow & speak to a different person, call early in the day, first thing when they have not been swamped & drilled by anxious furious passengers (not saying you were) you may get a different response. Nothing to loose??

Good luck!!! :)

Tried that. I've have gone as high as I can at the call centre and they are refusing.

I wasn't furious to start with but I am now and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Cunard/Carnival haven't got a clue.

Not seeking to make light of this matter but are you seriously saying that the absence of £35 was the deal breaker?

Archived