Cruise Review: Venice, Bari, Corfu, Athens, Mykonos, Dubrovnik - Splendour - Aug 2012

LitaArn

We've been away and we just got home. I sincerely apologize for not posting daily, and I will try to do my best to finish this review in the next few days.

AUG 27th, Monday - CORFU

Approaching Corfu

DSC00821_zps3a824f2c.jpg

The only sunrise on this cruise I was able to take photo of

DSC00835_zps425da6a5.jpg

Our excursion for the day was with Corfu Taxi Tours http://www.corfutaxitours.com/index.htm

I’ve read about this tour company from PCWalton1’s review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1638871&page=4 (Thank You Bill) and also from Trip Advisor. Corfu Taxi Tours was highly recommended, and after touring with them, our family completely agrees.

We met Makis, our guide and driver, at the appointed time and place (he was holding a sign with our name on it). His E-class Mercedes car looked very comfortable.

Start of our tour ... The distant land/mountain is mainland Greece

DSC00841_zps6b492dc2.jpg

A Greek memorial shrine perched on the roadside for a loved one who was a victim of of a car accident at the spot of the shrine (I took this photo while inside a moving car)

DSC00844_zpsa335a04e.jpg

Cypress trees - used in Corfu for building homes, roofs, steps, floor...

DSC00852_zps28ec99df.jpg

We were quite a bit high up, and it was foggy...

DSC00864_zps17315969.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

There’s a sliver of a road you can see on the mountain on the right; we drove from there to get to this very high lookout point.

DSC00869_zps8ac6853f.jpg

Olive trees with the nets on the ground. During harvest time in November, the farmers shake the trees and the nets will catch the ripened olives.

DSC00881_zps1a4f2250.jpg

FIGS

DSC00889_zps82d05372.jpg

Makis picked 3 or 4 of these figs and broke them in half. Then he offered them to us.

DSC00883_zps6967d698.jpg

The figs were delicious; so sweet and juicy!

DSC00886_zps49fa79aa.jpg

Fort of Angelo Castro played a pivotal role during the Great Siege of Corfu in 1571 when the Turks attacked. The Turks were never able to penetrate its defenses. According to Makis, the only Greek island the Turks never occupied is Corfu.

DSC00892_zps38884186.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

The breathtaking AGIOS GEORGIOS

DSC00896_zps959d9bca.jpg

PALEOKASTRITSA

Very picturesque! The steep hills and the breathtaking seafront contribute to the splendid views. Stunning Views at the Golden Fox Restaurant (part of a resort complex).

Our guide Makis on the left, and Spiros Kritikos of Corfu Taxi Tours who was also doing a guided tour with another set of clients

DSC00917_zps7e7f467a.jpg

DSC00920_zpsdb58bce6.jpg

DSC00923_zps9d743297.jpg

DSC00929_zps6a864f31.jpg

DSC00930_zps258f6ffc.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

George’s Cellar and Store in Lakones - When we were there, they served freshly baked slices of bread with little bowls of different olive oils to dip the bread in, plus small cups of different wines to taste. Aside from their own wine and olive oil, they also sell embroidered tablecloths, placemats, etc. and souvenir embroidered aprons, towels, etc. Nice store, and the prices are reasonable too.

DSC00933_zpscc045ce0.jpg

With George and his wife

DSC00936_zpsed6b6e97.jpg

BAY of PALEOKASTRITSA

DSC00942_zps03cccc4c.jpg

DSC00947_zps5fbe835c.jpg

DSC00949_zpsd8adfeec.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

ACHILLEON PALACE, in the 1890’s was the summer palace of Elisabeth or “Sisi”, Empress of Austria. We’ve been to her museum in the Hofburg Palace in Vienna http://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights/imperial/sisi-museum (It was sad what she told her lady in waiting on one of their walks: “The forest does not hurt me...Nature is much more rewarding than Humanity”).

Sisi was also a much beloved Queen of Hungary, and on our land tour of Budapest in 2010, our guide talked fondly of Sisi as a historical icon.

Compared to palaces we’ve seen like the Versailles, Schönbrunn etc., Achilleon Palace is more of a “villa”. But because Sisi was a huge royalty figure and considering the relaxed atmosphere of Corfu, Achilleon Palace is aptly named IMO.

DSC00953_zps02998469.jpg

DSC00963_zpsc979e856.jpg

DSC00969_zpseb8f320a.jpg

DSC00971_zpse3c3209e.jpg

DSC00974_zps97853683.jpg

DSC00979_zps3b11356f.jpg

On the way to Corfu's Old City:

DSC00995_zps493fea72-1.jpg

DSC00996_zps72cce9f6-1.jpg

Pontikonisi Island or Mouse Island is home of the monastery of Pantokrator. You can see a little peek of the monastery’s white staircase (in the middle almost covered by trees and shrubs). The white staircase resembles from afar a mouse tail; hence, the name Mouse Island.

DSC00999_zps48e055ca.jpg

Corfu’s Old City - In 2007, it was designated for the UNESCO World Heritage List. Since we didn’t have enough time, we just drove quickly through this charming city. Sorry for the not so good quality of some pics

Palace of Sts. Michael and George

DSC01011_zpse33aa5b5.jpg

DSC01012_zps4b7252cf.jpg

DSC01013_zps855ff6ac.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

Returning to the port. We thanked Makis for a wonderful tour, paid our fees, and tipped him which was appreciated, and said our goodbyes.

DSC01023_zps4095b390.jpg

Like our guide Vito in Bari, Makis was kind and patient and excellent as a tour guide and driver

DSC00883_zpsdf1f477e.jpg

Walking back to the ship, it was exceptionally windy. I was a bit bogged down by the bottles of olive oil from George’s, but still, I was being pushed by the forceful winds towards the sea on my right. It was a good thing that Arn got a firm hold of me, thus preventing me from having an unplanned swim in the sea :eek:

DSC01026_zps379432ff.jpg

We saw these dancers practicing when we got to our deck (deck 8). There was supposed to be an aerial show that night (a Cirque du Soleil type of show), but it was cancelled because of the strong winds. The show wasn’t listed on that day’s compass but was supposed to be a “surprise” after the Formal Photo Night with the Captain. A young lady at the Guest Services informed me of the “surprise” when I went there because my seapass card stopped working again for the third time. I said that I didn’t know what was wrong because I’ve kept my card away from my camera and other magnets that I know of. Well, she said that it was because of my “magnetic” personality. Ha ha! That broke me up! RCI really does hire the very best staff :D

DSC01028_zps68bf5cfe.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

That night was the first Formal Night. Before dinner, we headed to the Concierge Lounge to meet Diego Tripaldi from Uruguay. He was the Concierge, a very nice young man, very helpful in so many ways, and does have a wicked sense of humour :D Thank You so much Diego for everything you’ve done for all of us!

DSC01066_zps4d1dae1a.jpg

With our very nice Captain

DSC01069_zps339b7762.jpg

The Captain with Christine and family

DSC01070_zps770e2138.jpg

Elyssa, Chloe, and Christine doing the Usain Bolt pose with their cabin steward

DSC01071_zps8318903b.jpg

Escargots! Yum! I had 2 helpings :D

DSC01074_zps01a8c110.jpg

Emily and Elyssa later on that night at the Schooner Bar. THANK YOU again Christine and family :)

SAM_0821-1_zps7dc42ac5.jpg

~~~~~ It is obvious at this point (or maybe even before) of my review that I do like History and Arts (my aging brain unfortunately can’t retain these fascinating info the way it used to though), and I apologize if I’m boring you off to snoozeland...

AUG 28th, Tuesday (4th day of the Cruise) - ATHENS

We signed up for the ship’s excursion “Acropolis Sightseeing, New Acropolis Museum with Plaka Free Time”. We originally signed up for “Acropolis Museum and Plaka Shopping” (the 3 of us had already seen the Acropolis before) but were informed when we got on board that it was cancelled because not enough cruisers signed up.

I also would like to mention at this point the tour company we used the first time we were in Athens was Athens by Taxi by Paul Kalomiris http://athensbytaxi.com/ - highly rated here in Cruise Critic. It was during our 2010 Med cruise on the Brilliance and the itinerary for our group of 13 was: A drive along the Saronic Gulf Coast, Corinth Canal (top and lower bridges), Epidaurus, Corinth Canal lower bridge, lunch at a nice Greek restaurant at the Plaka, then on to Acropolis, and the Changing of the Guards. For our group of 13, the price was 43 euros pp at the time (lunch and entrance fees extra). That tour was great!

I would have loved to do a review of that most fabulous cruise because we saw amazing sights in Santorini, Cinque Terre, Ephesus... but I was so very tired after (I'll be happy to answer questions about that cruise though). Prior to that cruise, Arn and I did land tours of Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich, then flew in to Barcelona to join our wonderful friends Rebecca and Blake (2tall) to explore for 3 days before boarding the Brilliance for 12 nights.

We're docked in Athens

DSC01084.jpg

Driving towards the city of Athens

DSC01088.jpg

DSC01096.jpg

National Library of Greece - Wiki photo (didn't get a good shot from my camera)

800px-National_library_of_greece_athens.jpg

Athen's Tram

DSC01102.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

Panathinaiko Stadium, also known as the Kallimarmaro (meaning the "beautifully marbled). The first modern Olympic Games were held here in 1896. The stadium's contemporary structure is a true copy of the one built in 144 AD.

DSC01112.jpg

From the Panathinaiko Stadium, view of a little bit of the Parthenon

DSC01115.jpg

“Marathon Man” - made of fiber glass (middle of the photo with the green post partially blocking it, sorry for the poor quality of this photo, we were on a moving bus). It was built in honor of the Greek soldier who in 490 B.C. ran the 26 miles + 385 yards to Athens from the Plains of Marathon to announce Greek’s victory there over the Persian Army. Apparently, he shouted “We Won” in ancient Greek, collapsed of exhaustion, and died.

DSC01120.jpg

The New Acropolis Museum, set at the foot of the Acropolis

DSC01128.jpg

The museum is built over an archaeological site which is partly exposed to the air but protected by a large entrance canopy. The outside and inside floors are often made of glass which makes it possible for visitors to see the excavations below. Really fascinating to see!

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

DSC01157.jpg

The view of the Parthenon from the museum

DSC01141.jpg

Apollo in the middle, and the other Greek god beside him, beautifully sculpted

DSC01143.jpg

Plaster cast of the original sculpture on display at the British Museum

DSC01146.jpg

This is a photo I took in 2007 at the British Museum, part of Lord Elgin Marbles collection. This original sculpture was beautifully executed, defining the extreme tiredness of the horse. One of my favourites in that collection.

IMG_0611.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

All around the Acropolis Museum, the ancient honey-coloured sculptures are placed at intervals with the plaster casts of the original ones at the British Museum.

DSC01145.jpg

Our guide giving detailed info about the Parthenon Gallery

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

For more of the Parthenon Gallery

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/default.php?pname=Parthenon&la=2&collection=16

On this link http://www.yatzer.com/The-new-Acropolis-Museum-Athens-Greece-Bernard-Tschumi

you’ll see more photos of the exterior and interior structures of the museum and some of the amazing artifacts the public were not allowed to take photos of. Two of my favourites were The Karyatids (loved the intricate details on their hair braids and the folds on their gowns) and The Peplos Kore (again, loved the braids especially the colours on her exquisite gown. Our guide said that museum experts were able to determine the colours on her gown by the remnants of the original colours found on the statue.

Edited by LitaArn

ACROPOLIS - an ancient fortress built around 5th century B.C. It is located on a high rocky outcrop above the city of Athens. Within its walls are the remains of several ancient structures of great architectural and historic significance, the most famous being the Parthenon.

Theatre of Dionysus (photo from our previous visit)

IMGP2110.jpg

Propylaea - the “Gateway” to the Acropolis (also photo from our previous visit, several of my photos didn't turn out right)

IMGP2115.jpg

Erechtheion

DSC01170.jpg

The Parthenon

DSC01169.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

After seeing the Acropolis, we boarded our bus then drove back to Syntagma Square and we stopped quickly to view the Changing of the Guards in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, at the Parliament Building (formerly the Royal Palace).

CHANGING OF THE GUARDS - photos taken from our 2010 Med. cruise - I wasn’t able to take pics on this tour because our seats on the bus were on the other side (the bus was just at a stop for 1 minute or so, we were not allowed to get off). The guards’ uniforms were quite elaborate and their movements were graceful, like a dance.

IMGP2138.jpg

IMGP2141.jpg

IMGP2142.jpg

IMGP2150.jpg

Where we had our souvlakis

DSC01181.jpg

After our souvlakis and drinks, we had 1 hour to explore the Plaka and do more shopping. Emily and I, with my darling husband patiently tagging along with us, did some shopping to help the Greek economy. I have to say that the Greek vendors were appreciative of our contribution, and so was our guide (I thought I wrote her name down but couldn’t find it in my notes; her name was quite long with complicated spelling). She was a lovely young lady, very clear and precise in her explanations of the sights we’re seeing. Quite intelligent and personable. She is a teacher and unfortunately, could not find a job. We talked a bit about the failing Greek economy and she said that wages of working people have been drastically reduced to as much as 50% for some. What worries her more was what she’s read on the papers lately that many Greek senior citizens with drastically reduced income, couldn’t cope and had lost hope, resulting to horrifying large numbers of suicide rate among them. So tragic... I hope and pray that their economic situation will get better soon...

Edited by LitaArn

Dinner and my 2 desserts that night! I couldn’t help it; I’ve always enjoyed Royal’s excellent food. And... I did not have to cook it or clean up after...

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

“King” Neil and Rannie from the Philippines (my original home country) - one of the excellent MTD waiters we’ve had. We enjoyed his dinner napkin creations

DSC01189.jpg

"Princess" Chloe and her “crown”

DSC01187.jpg

My baby girl Emily blowing her “birthday candle”

DSC01190.jpg

We really had SO MUCH FUN each night dining together...

Edited by LitaArn

AUG 29th, Thursday (5th day of our cruise) - MYKONOS, IZUMI Sushi Specialty Dining

I had to post my reviews of Mykonos and Dubrovnik last week on Thursday because CC member ginagirl was leaving for her cruise the day after, and a couple of her stops are Mykonos and Dubrovnik. Here is the link to the Mykonos review starting with post # 160 to 162 on the next page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704530&page=8

That night for dinner, we had sushi at IZUMI Specialty Restaurant

Complimentary Miso Soup... Very good!

DSC01370.jpg

Arn and I shared the Premium Izumi Combo which included Tuna Wasabi Carpaccio, Deluxe Sushi plate... Very delicious too!

DSC01374.jpg

We also shared the Hot Rock plates (we chose Beef Tenderloin) and Hot Rock plate of Seafood. It was delicious, but the meat kept sticking to the stone... I don't know if it would work but perhaps it's better to brush the meat with just a bit of olive oil before grilling. Also, a better metal spatula might help too.

DSC01376.jpg

DSC01378.jpg

There are 3 sauces that come with the Hot Rock plates (middle bottom part of the photo). We liked the sweet, molasses like soya sauce. The others are Thai chili sauce, and ginger/sweet sauce.

DSC01379.jpg

Dessert Sampler (from the left of the pic) was a bowl of asian fruits, green tea mousse, flan, and ???. We liked the flan and the fruits best.

DSC01381.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of Emily's Vegetarian wheat free selection sushi. She said she enjoyed it very much.

Our waiter Rossano from the Philippines was very attentive and quick. Total bill was US$59 less $30 which we prepaid before; net total is $29 plus gratuities which we had based on the total bill. For us, the total bill of $59 is very reasonable since where we live, we could not have a similar sushi dining experience without costing us twice as much.

Edited by LitaArn

After dinner, Arn and I felt very tired; the very busy excursions we’ve been doing were physically exhausting so only Emily joined Christine’s family at the “Pool Night Party”. She had a fabulous time (Emily said about Christine’s lovely family after the first night they invited her out: “Mom, you picked the best friends! They treated me like their own daughter, wouldn’t let me pay for my own drinks...”, and they would always walked her back to our cabin to see her safely inside.

Our daughters Emily and Eileen are mine and Arn’s greatest blessings on earth. Like most parents, we feel happiest when they are happy, we feel twice as heartbroken when they are sad...

THANK YOU again CHRISTINE, NEIL, ELYSSA, and CHLOE for the great FUN times that our beloved baby girl Emily had with you all, and for sending me the following pics that captured those wonderful moments... You guys are truly THE BEST!!!

SAM_0870-1.jpg

SAM_0876-1.jpg

SAM_0879-1.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

That night was the first Formal Night. Before dinner, we headed to the Concierge Lounge to meet Diego Tripaldi from Uruguay. He was the Concierge, a very nice young man, very helpful in so many ways, and does have a wicked sense of humour :D Thank You so much Diego for everything you’ve done for all of us!

DSC01066_zps4d1dae1a.jpg

With our very nice Captain

DSC01069_zps339b7762.jpg

The Captain with Christine and family

DSC01070_zps770e2138.jpg

Very nice dresses and I like your black dress too...

Scottishwee35

Thank you so much for taking time to write this amazing review and beautiful photos! We are going on the Splendour in May. Instead of Bari we will be going to Santorini and Katakolon replaces Mykonos. Your pictures in Corfu have convinced my husband and I to either rent a car or book a private tour. I have made note of the olive oil tasting stop ;) I know you did a tour, but did you notice if those that rented cars had any trouble finding places to park? Also, did you have lunch at the Golden Fox? It looks beautiful there. How far in advance did you book your private tours for your cruise? And when you took the private water taxi from your hotel in Venice to the port, how close where you to the terminal? It looks like you avoided the people mover and you get let off very close to the ship. Thank you again!!

DAILY COMPASS - I’ve kept copies of our Daily Compass. If anyone is interested, I’ll publish photos of them here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUG 30th, Thursday (6th day of the Cruise) - SEA DAY

BRIDGE TOUR

After breakfast, we proceeded to the Concierge Lounge to start our Bridge Tour which was our first (the bridge tour, galley and backstage tours were complimentary for guests staying in a grand and higher suite categories). For non-suite pax, the fee was $150 pp (you can bring a friend for free).

Before the tour, we were required to sign a document certifying our identities. We also had to undergo a physical security check. I feel assured of these extra safety measures.

From the Concierge Lounge, our ever helpful Concierge Diego lead us to the elevator up to deck 8, then we walked forward to the front of the ship.

My take on the tour - really good, informative and we’ll do it again on our next cruise on the Brilliance and on the Legends (we’re booked in a Grand Suite on those 2 cruises too). I noticed my husband was like a kid in a candyland, quite animated while doing the bridge tour :D

Edited by LitaArn

I asked Arn to write of what he can remember from the tour. I prefer writing about history and art, whereas he is into technology. A bit of a background about my husband: He is a Professional Mechanical Engineer who has designed PHT pumps for CANDU nuclear stations and has worked extensively in nuclear and thermal generating stations.

The following are what he has written about our Bridge Tour:

“ Minimum data remembered, didn’t have a pen and paper to write details down:

Compared to a generating station, my impressions on entering the bridge was the open view of the front of the ship and sea from port to starboard, and the minimum instrumentation on the Control Board.

The ship is equipped with 2 thrusters at the bow and 1 at the stern, each driven by 2000 hp as mentioned by the Bridge Officer.

DSC01383.jpg

DSC01409.jpg

On both the port and starboard side of the ship of the bridge is a platform extending out over the water so that an officer can view the stern and side areas of the ship. Our group walked out there and had a look. Part of the floor was glass which gave a clear view of the sea below.

DSC01391.jpg

GPS screen showing the plotted route and the ship position. I understood the ship was running on automatic pilot. There was also a toggle switch for the bow thrusters and the ship speed control. Other readouts included propeller rpm.

DSC01390.jpg

Readout on the right showing the rate of turn

DSC01388.jpg

Engines’ control with the ship speed in knots and the toggle switch on the left for the bow thrusters. We were cruising at 16 knots.

DSC01387.jpg

Edited by LitaArn

Two recorders and phone communication plus two other unknown instruments

DSC01393.jpg

Control Panel that shows Alarm System / History on the ship

DSC01395.jpg

Readouts on equipments within the ship

DSC01396.jpg

There were two watt meters each reading over 6MW (megawatts). Since the readings were slightly different, I assumed two generator sets. That would power a large town/small city.

DSC01404.jpg

Thank You my darling husband for the above review. I believe that you did well considering that you didn't have a pen and paper to write all those info down. As always, you are my Superman :D

Edited by LitaArn

I continue my ramblings from this point on ...

Lounge area for the Bridge officers

DSC01402.jpg

Bridge Officer who conducted the tour (I’m sorry I didn’t get his name; I should have taken a pic of his name tag as well :( He was very good, patient, and conducted an excellent tour.

DSC01418.jpg

Edited by LitaArn