Kindles and iPads...

lablondie

I used to cruise often in the early 2000's, and will be going on my first (well second, but the other was work related...) cruise since 2004 next month. So, you know how when people read on deck, they toss their book on the chair when they go in the pool or to the restroom, or to grab a bite to eat... Now what happens? You cant leave your kindle or iPad on the chair. If you go in the pool, you cant bring it with you.... Has this become a problem?

what if your deck chair is out of view....? Just curious if stolen devices has been an issue, or if anyone has tips... :confused:

No way would I tempt anybody, especially with an iPad. If you're going to do that, I'd bring a paperback or make sure someone else was there to watch my stuff. Failing all of that, I'd drag it with me to the bathroom and forget the swim.

yeah, thats what i was thinking, I am going to have whatever book im reading on my kindle and buy the paperback. This way i can bring the paperback on deck, but still have the kindle in my cabin. I wouldn't risk it, no way with my iPad especially. I'm just curious what people do, now that 'everything' is 'electronic' lol.

when I'm going for a swim and dont have anyone to watch over my kindle I go to the gym and get a locker, swim, then go retrieve my kindle when I'm done swimming....I should also say i usually have a cabin on a lower deck. I may take a quick cooling dip while keeping my eye on the chair with my kindle in my tote bag, but dont leave it for any length of time.

I too just bring a paperback. That way when kids or wet people come walking by and splashing the area you won't have to worry about the risk of people splashing you.

Plus it is a ittle nostalgic reading by the pool with a pina colada, sunglasses, and a good page turner.

While not by the pool, when I go to the buffet for a meal, I first find a table and leave my iPad on the table. Then I go get my food. I've gone through several iterations of electronic readers and am on my 3rd iPad. So far I haven't had a problem with anyone with sticky fingers. I'm also the type to leave my laptop, camera and/or iPad sitting on the desk in my cabin.

This question has occurred to me as I get ready to move from books to Kindle for my next (no doubt quite long) cruise. Taking paperbacks for the pool isn't an option, as there will be lots of pool days, so that sort of defeats the point of having the Kindle in the first place! I figure I'll just either ask a neighboring sun-worshipper to keep an eye on it while I'm in the bathroom, or else slip it into my beach bag under the chair for a longer stint in the pool. I've never had a problem with people diving into my bag to steal my watch or cruise card out of there, so I would assume as long as the K is out of sight, that should be good enough.

I guess I do this at our public pool with my purse/clothes/keys etc. Stupid design means shower and potty on the 1st floor and locker dressing room up a long flight of stairs. I have a rolling tote bag that I place clothes, purse, shoes etc. in and zip up but by no means lock. coat is hung on the hooks with towel on the pool deck with bag under it. Usually several bags of little old ladies all lined up like the TJ Max display of luggage. 10 years and still no problem. It's been about 10 years since I went upstairs to locker room too. :p

Usually I think thieves don't want to get caught and on the pool deck they don't know who is watching. I think a big old junky tote bag with your kindle under it the towel etc. will be secure enough. Those areas are under security cameras too -- not a big deal made of it but cameras and the Philippian security guards don't miss too much. Of course you leave it sitting there --it is your bad. A plastic bag might not be a bad idea to slip it in so no oops with water. Also a coverup with a big pocket and slip the kindell in the pocket. Besides in the scheme of things my kindell is $79 new and my phone was over $400 so I guess protect that first. My greatest fear is dropping in on hard floor or into the water. Killed a camera last year (1 month old) by falling gently and ladylike into the sandy beach in Galapagos Islands on the first day. Camera lense never closed again:mad:

I don't know how much of a problem cruise ships have with theft.... but, considering there's a 'captive audience' with lots of decurity cameras, and anyone could be searched, i wouldn't have thought of theft of something like an ipad happening too often.

A friend who belongs to a community swimming pool has a label on her iPad "this iPad is protected with Find My IPad technology. Violaters will be prosecuted."

She says she had her cheap basic cell phone stolen this summer, but the iPad sitting beside it was left untouched!

That's awesome!! Maybe I'll try that on my iPhone too!

A whole different reason not to leave electronics on your chair: I witnesssed a very upset woman by the pool not too long ago. She had left her e reader "safely" under a towel. Her child came along and sat down on the towel. Yep, broken, and not completely the child's fault.

A related moral: if you use an e reader, buy a good, protective case.

I used to cruise often in the early 2000's, and will be going on my first (well second, but the other was work related...) cruise since 2004 next month. So, you know how when people read on deck, they toss their book on the chair when they go in the pool or to the restroom, or to grab a bite to eat... Now what happens? You cant leave your kindle or iPad on the chair. If you go in the pool, you cant bring it with you.... Has this become a problem?

what if your deck chair is out of view....? Just curious if stolen devices has been an issue, or if anyone has tips... :confused:

my kindle NEVER leaves my possession unless I am in the MDR/SR. if I am not actively reading it is inside my bag that comes with me everywhere. I purposely bought one that is large enough to hold it while still being smaller than a full size purse.

NO lounger, no matter how perfectly situated, is worth the risk of it being stolen if I have to step up deck for anything.

I use my Kindle on the pool deck. If I am away from my chair for a short time, like to take a dip, I leave it in the small tote bag I bring for my other essentials like sunscreen and leave it under or on the chair. Usually my husband is in the next chair, but not always. Many people leave their belongings like this.

If I'm going to lunch I take the tote bag with me (it's small--like a plastic grocery bag size), because I don't try to save my chair while I'm gone.

To me it would defeat the purpose of bringing the Kindle if I also had to bring paperbacks to read on the Lido. Of course there is a slight chance it could get stolen, but I'm not too worried about it. With an Ipad, I'd be a little more careful.

Archived