question about rough waters?

mma

hi all,

i hope you don't find this question silly. i'm looking to book an NCL 7 day cruise soon to hawaii. i've been researching and i can't find much info on what time of the year is best for having calm waters. i've read that the seas can get pretty rough in January. is this true? i can get very sea sick, so this is probably the biggest factor for me. to make things worse, i can only go during school holidays (summer, xmas, march break (mid march)).

your advice is appreciated.

thank you

January was rough for us, but really only when we were further out to sea, headed towards fanning Island....we were going full throttle....once we were directly around the islands, the ship went much slower and the waters were very calm.

Surf is higher in the wintertime for sure.....but since you can only come during holidays, you might be best to come in March. Weather is temperate and a little more predictable, the whales are still here, tourism is slightly lighter and the waters are a little lighter.

Summer is the sunniest, but the sun can be scortching if youre not used to it.

Surf is higher in the wintertime for sure.....but since you can only come during holidays, you might be best to come in March. Weather is temperate and a little more predictable, the whales are still here, tourism is slightly lighter and the waters are a little lighter.

Summer is the sunniest, but the sun can be scortching if youre not used to it.

thanks for the response. when do you think the waters will be calmer: march or july?? btw, i don't mind the heat, i actually love it (i'm in canada, so the more sun the better).

The water can be rough any time of the year.....it is all about weather, and it does not even have to be near the Islands.

We were on a cruise once in July..... at dock in Maui..... and the port surge was 5 to 10 feet every 30 or so seconds..... the ropes that secure the ship to the pier, 3 of them broke..... this also made boarding the ship very diffulcult. They even stopped the boarding process a few times..... and they had to bring in tug boats along side the ship to keep it in place till we sailed. The weather that was causing this was over 1200 miles away. When we sailed that afternoon ....to Hilo...we were in 20 to 25 foot swells. They calmed down over night, and we were able to do Hilo.

Also, on several Hawaii sailings, we missed the call at Kona....due to rough seas. As that is a tender location...it was somewhat of a "joy ride" to transfer from ship to tender....... and all three misses at Kona were in the summer.

Chuck

We were on the POA in April and the water was alot rougher than the Caribbean. It didnt bother me, but 2 people in my group had to leave dinner one nite and go lay down. I have been on 2 other cruises (in the Caribbean) and this is the only one where I really felt movement. But like I sai, it didnt bother me...it actually helped me sleep ALOT!!

Mandy

We were on the Pride of Aloha from May 1 to May 8 of this year, and I must say it was the smoothest ride of any cruise that we have ever had. There was only one night that we noticed any movement at all, and it was in no way uncomfortable. I have been on six cruises, the rest were all in Caribbean.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally where is calmer?? caribbean or hawaii? most people have said that the caribbean is calmer. except for mike fast, has everyone else found the caribbean to be calmer??

i hope that i can go this summer!

thanks for your help everyone

Yes, but I have had just as rough weather in some parts of the Carribean as I have in Hawaii, or going to and from Hawaii from the Mainland. Luck of the draw when you are cruising outside of inland waters.

Archived