Smoke free ships

jackdiamond

how wrong you are! Typical comment from a smoker.

Cigarettes are indeed against the law in many places if they are being used. I also live in california (right next door to you in san jose) and it is illegal to smoke in the workplace, in restaurants, in bars, and in public areas in this state, the same one you live in. This makes the use of cigarettes illegal in these areas. Many states have the same or similar laws, as well as most major countries in europe now. I'm surprised that living in santa clara you don't understand this fact.

I am not perfect, so i am not god and can't afford my own ship. So i expect you to adhere to the rules set down by the cruise line (which, being a private entity, can set whatever rules they want to). If you smoke only in designated areas, i'm fine with that. But if you break the rules and smoke on your balcony, i will report you in an instant. Simple as that.

To use a phrase you used: How about you give it a break! :rolleyes:

and i do follow the rules, and you are probably the same person that comes and sit in the smoking section and complain about us.

I just wish i was as perfect as you are , sorry i'm not

but at least i'm not close minded

You are so right.

Now, let's everyone get back to the original business of beating the smoking policies to death until a resolution is reached that will result in all smokers being gagged and forced to walk the plank, finally creating 100% smoke free ships ever after.

Well, here I go turning it into an allergy thread. Pattipoopidoo, please don't stand near me, I'm allergic to Ivory.........

I think most smokers follow the rules on the ship etc. Don't be mad at all of them....only the ones that break the rules......and there are always rule breakers- chair hogs, share the spouses beverage card, rum runners in the suitcase....

and i do follow the rules, and you are probably the same person that comes and sit in the smoking section and complain about us.

I just wish i was as perfect as you are , sorry i'm not

but at least i'm not close minded

No, not perfect. But at least I know the laws and don't make foolish claims that cigarettes are still legal. Yep, you are correct. They are legal for a person 21 and older to possess. But not legal to smoke them in many places - so in a way that does make them illegal.

I don't sit in smoking sections. I find the smell to be extremely distasteful. I avoid your smoking areas like I would avoid an area known to have bubonic plague. I have zero interest in breathing in your cancer causing smoke, and have just as little interest in having my clothes, hair and skin reeking of smoke from being around you.

What offends me the most are smokers who try to make non-smokers the bad guys, as you have done in your post #98. I have never smoked (but both my parents did), and I make no apology for putting my health and the comfort of people around me ahead of an activity that is, in my opinion, vile.

And yes, you are absolutely correct. I am very closed minded towards sanctimonious smokers pushing their lame rationalizations on those of us non-smokers who care about our health.

Well, here I go turning it into an allergy thread. Pattipoopidoo, please don't stand near me, I'm allergic to Ivory.........

I think most smokers follow the rules on the ship etc. Don't be mad at all of them....only the ones that break the rules......and there are always rule breakers- chair hogs, share the spouses beverage card, rum runners in the suitcase....

Agreed! I have lots of friends (losers) who smoke, and actually, they are not really that vile. Some are even well-educated, law-abiding citizens! I think several of them are even allowed to vote! :rolleyes:

So far, not one of these smokers has ever stolen anything from our house or been to prison. I do have my doubts about my one girlfriend though, she's an obstetrician who I swear flips the toilet paper roll around so that the paper pulls from under the roll instead of over the roll....but I'm pretty sure she only does that because she's under the influence of nicotine.

Agreed! I have lots of friends (losers) who smoke, and actually, they are not really that vile. Some are even well-educated, law-abiding citizens! I think several of them are even allowed to vote! :rolleyes:

So far, not one of these smokers has ever stolen anything from our house or been to prison. I do have my doubts about my one girlfriend though, she's an obstetrician who I swear flips the toilet paper roll around so that the paper pulls from under the roll instead of over the roll....but I'm pretty sure she only does that because she's under the influence of nicotine.

Perhaps, she is left hand dominant.

If we are going to discuss pollution health issues , non smoking cruise fans did you know...The environmental impact of shipping includes greenhouse gas emissions and oil pollution. Carbon dioxide emissions from shipping is currently estimated at 4 to 5 percent of the global total, and estimated by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) to rise by up to 72 percent by 2020 if no action is taken.[

Ships release an estimated 1.2 million to 1.6 million metric tons of tiny airborne particles each year. These particles have been linked to premature deaths worldwide in a recent study in 2007 by the University of Delaware, and are believed to cause heart and lung failures. According to the study, such pollution from ships, kills at least 60,000 people each year and it is predicted that this figure will increase by 40% globally by 2012, unless something is done to address the problem - such as switching to cleaner fuels.

And you are worried about passive smoking.

at this rate there will be no planet to accomodate us stinking smokers anyway.

this is a more pressing isssue than having a smoke on a balcony.

If we are going to discuss pollution health issues , non smoking cruise fans did you know...The environmental impact of shipping includes greenhouse gas emissions and oil pollution. Carbon dioxide emissions from shipping is currently estimated at 4 to 5 percent of the global total, and estimated by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) to rise by up to 72 percent by 2020 if no action is taken.[

Ships release an estimated 1.2 million to 1.6 million metric tons of tiny airborne particles each year. These particles have been linked to premature deaths worldwide in a recent study in 2007 by the University of Delaware, and are believed to cause heart and lung failures. According to the study, such pollution from ships, kills at least 60,000 people each year and it is predicted that this figure will increase by 40% globally by 2012, unless something is done to address the problem - such as switching to cleaner fuels.

And you are worried about passive smoking.

at this rate there will be no planet to accomodate us stinking smokers anyway.

this is a more pressing isssue than having a smoke on a balcony.

If I understand your argument, if we were being fair, we should not only ban cigarette smoking, but ALL sources of pollutants. Is that correct? No more cruises. No more goods imported. No more food delivered to our supermarkets. No more food grown at all since even organic cultivation causes dust and pollen to be stirred up. No more electricity, since even solar, wind and water generating plants need to be constructed using machinery. No more heat since burning wood creates pollutants.

I can't help but laugh at comments such as yours, which take a very circuitous route in trying to rationalize your bad habit.

I will bet that I will out live you, even considering that you might be correct in your claims. But deliberately inhaling smoke into one's lungs will do much more damage to one's health than inhaling air that is, although not pure, is in reality quite clean. Knock yourself out and smoke to your heart's content. I mean that literally - knock yourself out.

I understand pollution will be present for us to survive , just pointing out what else you are sucking in on your cruise as well as cigarette smoke . Thought you might like to know that in case you want to ask the captain if he could sail against the wind to stop it from blowing into the balconies .

Excuse me whilst I just pop out to the designated smoking area in my garden and knock myself out .

And get my popcorn :D

Of course , king is a good quote by the way .

Hi

My DW and I are nonsmokers and prefer X because of their smoking policy. I am satisfied w. having a designated smoking area. I would report anybody smoking on a veranda next to mine. So far, I haven't had that problem.

My mother, a smoker, died of cancer, at age 58. My dad, not a smoker died of old age at 88.

Good night to all(almost midnight here).

Tom

Archived