Smoke free ships

jackdiamond

[quote name='CRUZBUDS']Sounds like the last wine tasting I went to ;)[/quote]

I know! Just between you and me, I never really taste the chocolate undertones or spicy black cherry notes, but I'm a great wine-tasting faker ~ just smile and nod in agreement whilst twirling the wine around :)

While I do think that most perfumes stink anymore, and that might be because I'm no spring chicken and my sniffer is out of whack, but I absolutely LOVE the smell of Ivory Snow detergent, and if I could, I'd dab a bit on all my pulsepoints before a night out. I think they should offer Ivory Snow-washed, line-dried Egyptian cotton sheets at sea.....they already have The Lawn Club up there, just use the space for clothes lines at sea. ;)

[quote name='pattipoopidoo']I know! Just between you and me, I never really taste the chocolate undertones or spicy black cherry notes, but I'm a great wine-tasting faker ~ just smile and nod in agreement whilst twirling the wine around :)[/QUOTE]

Very funny, me to! I'll go to a free wine tasting, but I won't waste my money on one. I never learn a thing ;)

Almost all smoking threads get around to perfume at some point. It's usually a smoker trying to justify their habit by pointing at someone else's bad behavior :)

[quote name='CRUZBUDS']Very funny, me to! I'll go to a free wine tasting, but I won't waste my money on one. I never learn a thing ;)

Almost all smoking threads get around to perfume at some point. It's usually a smoker trying to justify their habit by pointing at someone else's bad behavior :)[/QUOTE]

:D:D

And I have yet to smell a perfume that smells like a city center senior high school boy's room ... less the minty fresh cake that is... :p:rolleyes:

Almost all smoking threads get around to perfume at some point. It's usually a smoker trying to justify their habit by pointing at someone else's bad behavior :)

Not necessarily. One isn't likely to be trapped in an elevator or share a minivan with several people smoking.

We don't need a 100% smoke free ship but DW and I promised ourselves that we would not get another balcony on a ship where

smoking was allowed on the balcony's. Nothing worse then paying a premium for one and then being chased inside.

We are so looking forward to our first Celebrity because of it's balcony smoking policy.

Fine with me if there is a smoking lounge or other restricted indoor smoking areas but don't put anything in there would want to use.

Carnival as part of it's recent tightening smoking policy, made the piano bars smoke free. :):):) Now we can enjoy them ,if we ever return.

What does that have to do with what I said ... just curious :confused:

That people who bring up perfume are usually smokers trying to justify their habit. Non- smokers can avoid the smoking areas, but the overly perfumed have the run of the ship.

Boy, has this thread drifted off in another direction...now it's perfume issues. Just an observation.

You are so right.

Now, let's everyone get back to the original business of beating the smoking policies to death until a resolution is reached that will result in all smokers being gagged and forced to walk the plank, finally creating 100% smoke free ships ever after.

That people who bring up perfume are usually smokers trying to justify their habit. Non- smokers can avoid the smoking areas, but the overly perfumed have the run of the ship.

OK, no big deal, but I made no comment one way or the other. I just said sometimes smokers point to other bad behavior to justify theirs. :)

OK, no big deal, but I made no comment one way or the other. I just said smokers point to other bad behavior to justify theirs. :)

My bad, I went off topic and brought up perfume, because it is everywhere, especially at night, and nobody says a word. I hate perfume smells, and I think they do go hand in hand with cigarette smoke complaints, because an odor is an odor, regardless of where it's originating from.

But, really, I shouldn't even be on this thread :o I don't smoke, never did, and truthfully I couldn't care less if I have to occasionally <gasp> sniff someone else's smoke in.

Too many other things in life to be worried about, like being alive -- and staying that way. :)

As a non-smoker who detests the smell of it, I think Celebrity has gone far enough with limiting smokers.

I also think it would be confusing trying to fill the 'smoking ship' and the 'non-smoking' ship.

I am very grateful for the policy that they have in place.

I feel the same. The areas that are designated for smokers don't bother me. I am sure that many would not cruise if they or their spouse could not have a place to enjoy their habit.

We don't need a 100% smoke free ship but DW and I promised ourselves that we would not get another balcony on a ship where

smoking was allowed on the balcony's. Nothing worse then paying a premium for one and then being chased inside.

We are so looking forward to our first Celebrity because of it's balcony smoking policy.

Fine with me if there is a smoking lounge or other restricted indoor smoking areas but don't put anything in there would want to use.

Carnival as part of it's recent tightening smoking policy, made the piano bars smoke free. :):):) Now we can enjoy them ,if we ever return.

Don't be fooled by the no-smoking policy Celebrity has for its cabins. We sailed the Eastern Med in August and were absolutely surrounded by smokers on the balconies above, below, and beside us.

Even a complaint to guest relations, and a word with our cabin steward, did not alleviate the problem. The only thing that ever saved us (so to speak) was the wind direction, which blew the smoke away from us on some days.

Got so fed up with the smoke at breakfast time on the balcony, that we would finish our food and then hurry inside to get away from it all.

Must say that we were so glad not to be near the suites mid-ship on our deck, as they reeked of stale smoke the entire cruise. It must have been less then pleasant for their neighbours.

Don't be fooled by the no-smoking policy Celebrity has for its cabins. We sailed the Eastern Med in August and were absolutely surrounded by smokers on the balconies above, below, and beside us.

Even a complaint to guest relations, and a word with our cabin steward, did not alleviate the problem. The only thing that ever saved us (so to speak) was the wind direction, which blew the smoke away from us on some days.

Got so fed up with the smoke at breakfast time on the balcony, that we would finish our food and then hurry inside to get away from it all.

Must say that we were so glad not to be near the suites mid-ship on our deck, as they reeked of stale smoke the entire cruise. It must have been less then pleasant for their neighbours.

Now I'm depressed.:( Hoping this was an aberration.

Last cruise our cabin had a deep stink of smoke. The ionizer (sp?) helped but did not eliminate the smell completely.

I think the $250 fine should go to those effected by the fumes.

Wow. I don't even know what to say. I am not sure how I would have handled it.

Being ignored by the staff is just not right.:mad:

Richstowe, I didn't mean to get you depressed. Just wanted to give my honest experience.

The inside of our cabin never smelled of smoke during our cruise, so we could get away from the smokey smells on the balcony. And, oddly enough, we never had a whiff of smoke while out at the pool area, except for the smokers' enclave port-side to the rear of the pool area. It was the only covered spot we avoided.

All the other internal spaces were definitely smoke-free, so it was very nice to spend time in the public spaces.

May I say, for the record, that the smoking gripe was my only negative experience on a really wonderful cruise. You really will enjoy the cruise!

We booked the cruise of a lifetime in a suite on the carnival Valor and wanted too see what it would be like and could not spend time outside or in the room due to a chain smoker in the cabin next to us with their group of friends. It got to the point where glasses were sliding under the divider with spent cigarets. It was so bad there was a cloud of smoke in our cabin the entire time. The smoker knew he was annoying us and would taunt us in the hallways and we and carnival could or would do nothing about it. We vowed to never sail carnival again, we moved to celebrity and enjoyed our cruises and have enjoyed them due to, Their restricted smoking policy. Granted you do have the occasional smoker who will lerk in the corner of the balcony and smoke like a high school student in rest room, but you will never be able to escape people like that. Celebrity is the best out there for non smokers. We gave carnival a second chance when they changed their policy and it was slightly better. But one smoker will ruin your balcony and fill it with smoke. So good luck and let the winds be at your back.

I just thought I would post my thoughts on the subject. I recently cruised on the Eclipse (Western Med 01/09/12 - 15/09/12) and was slightly worried about the No smoking policy on the balcony. I do enjoy a ciggie in the morning with a cup of tea and also one with a glass of wine before dinner and did think it would be a problem for me but I have to say that Rules are rules and I had no problem with adhering to them. The first ciggie with a cup of tea that was 'essential' turned out not to be so and the one with the glass of wine before dinner was enjoyed on the Port side pool deck area in the evenings. The smoking area around the Mast Bar was well away from the doors into the Solarium/Aqua Cafe, so probably did not cause any problems there. If there were any complaints about the smell/smoke drifting into those areas then I was certainly not aware.

I think Celebrity have got their policy just about right. This is a subject that raises strong emotions but can honestly say that I didn't encounter any negativity from non-smokers and no complaints from smokers about the restrictions.

Happy cruising everyone :D

But I think that chain smokers are the excepcion, for example myself, in cruises what I smoke in the balcony is usualy: one when I wake up, during the day maybe if I go to the stateroom but 90% of the time I'm not in there, during the time I get ready for dinner I may go out to smoke 2 cigarretes and one before I go to sleep. Honestly, if you were my neighbour would you really bother this that much??

Tell you that my schedule could be waking up at 10 and dining as late as possible(in Spain I have dinner at 9-10, so probably most of the passengers are enjoying the ship when I'm getting ready for dinner)

Tell me if you think I would really bother you or just bother you enough to try or want to take away from me those small periods of time.

I understand maybe heavy smoke of cigar smokers, people partying in the room and really chain smokers could bother, but I on't want to talk or defend extreme people(smokers or not) just normal people .

Yippi............

I don't speak very good Spanish, but it seems you are fairly good with English. The rule is NO SMOKING on the balconies. Not one a day or two a day..........NONE A DAY. I will tell you that your neighbors will notice and will send the security up to your cabin. Many many people sail Celebrity because they do not want to put up with balcony smoking. As it has been said millions of times on these threads, smoke does not stay on your side of the divider and the wind does not take that smoke and smell right away. If you have only 3 a day and your neighbor only has only 2 a day, and the next guy has only 3 a day, pretty soon the smoke will be like you are on Royal Caribbean or Carnival, cruiselines you should be on.

I'm a smoker and when i Cruise,I only and only smoke in the Designate Areas.

Last time i check, Cigarettes where not against the Law.

Now that i think about it, why not banned also all heavy perfumes, they stink too.

And maybe next , all those heavy drinkers that smell beer from a mile away especially when you are stuck with them in the elevators.

and why not anybody that does not go to church or is a different religion.

We could even have Ships for Republican and some for Democrats.

Some would allow guns and some not.

Ships for Whites and the others.

Common people, diversity is a way of life, we are all different in some way.

I pay my taxes, been married for 33 years, 2 kids went to college.

I have a glass of wine once a week, i dont gamble, but i smoke

People would probably complain less if i was a pedophile or a wife beater

Give it a break, If you are so perfect, then you must be God and if you are well, Get your own Ship.

Just my honest opinion

Smokers, I have said it before and I will say it again. You have every right to smoke in the designated areas.

If I choose to walk through that area, I promise I will never make a face at you.

I am sorry that sometimes you are made to feel like a second class citizen. Not everyone feels that way about you.

Disclaimer, I did do a cruise where I was next to chain smokers and hated it. Lesson learned, no more RCI cruises!

Last time i check, Cigarettes where not against the Law.

How wrong you are! Typical comment from a smoker.

Cigarettes are indeed against the law in many places if they are being used. I also live in California (right next door to you in San Jose) and it IS illegal to smoke in the workplace, in restaurants, in bars, and in public areas in this state, the same one you live in. This makes the USE of cigarettes illegal in these areas. Many states have the same or similar laws, as well as most major countries in Europe now. I'm surprised that living in Santa Clara you don't understand this fact.

I am not perfect, so I am not God and can't afford my own ship. So I expect you to adhere to the rules set down by the cruise line (which, being a private entity, can set whatever rules they want to). If you smoke only in designated areas, I'm fine with that. But if you break the rules and smoke on your balcony, I will report you in an instant. Simple as that.

To use a phrase you used: how about you GIVE IT A BREAK! :rolleyes:

Archived