Service on NCL? OVER THE TOP!

Hikini

We returned from another fantastic NCL cruise, this time on board the Jewel. (Returned 9/8) I have bragged about NCL's service and treatment of their passengers for a long time - 7 cruises worth. I didn't think they could get any better as it's always been so fantastic each time.

But, it got even better for our 8th NCL cruise. Our family of 7 were treated like VIP's, literally. Klaus Lugmaier, the Hotel Director, has done a fantastic job with his crew. They are all a happy, hearty, wonderful bunch!

Our concierge, John DSouza (sp?) was the BEST concierge we've ever had and he earned a generous tip from us. Well deserved. About mid-way through our cruise I learned that he is only a temp concierge, filling in for Ruth ??. I was shocked because I would have guessed that John had been doing this for a long time. He was wonderful!

I don't believe I'll have time to write an in depth review, but I will answer any questions you have about the Jewel and our cruise, which departed Seattle on 9/1.

@Hikini - so pleased to hear a good report about the ship and its crew. Hubby and I will be taking our very first cruise on the Jewel, leaving New York on December 2nd. Based on all the reviews here at CC (the good, the bad, and even the ugly..) we expect to have a WONDERFUL time!!

John was one of the best butlers ever, always had the Garden Villas, no surprise he was a fabulous concierge.....you were indeed lucky, Ruth rates way low in my book.

John told us he is just filling in while Ruth is gone but will return to being a butler. I can only imagine how good a butler he is, when the service he gave us as a concierge was so excellent. Very attentive, kind, knowledgeable, quick to respond, etc, etc, etc.

Some of the staff, who shall remain nameless, told us that they wish they could keep John and not get Ruth back. And those comments were brought on by US, not them, when we commented repeatedly how much we liked John.

Great to hear! We found the crew to be outstanding as well. A couple of questions:

Did you like Alaska?

What was your favorite thing?

What did you do/see that was special?

:)

This is our 8th cruise to AK, so we obviously love AK. I can't say that we did anything extra special because we've "done it all" before. One of my favorite thing to do in Juneau is take the tram to Mt Roberts but only if it is even marginally clear. We had a good day to take the tram and did so.

And Mike, you will be interested to know that our room steward OPENED OUR BALCONY DIVIDERS on the first day, without hesitation. He only closed them at night, but there were 2 nights he "missed" and we liked that! :D

John told us he is just filling in while Ruth is gone but will return to being a butler. I can only imagine how good a butler he is, when the service he gave us as a concierge was so excellent. Very attentive, kind, knowledgeable, quick to respond, etc, etc, etc.

Some of the staff, who shall remain nameless, told us that they wish they could keep John and not get Ruth back. And those comments were brought on by US, not them, when we commented repeatedly how much we liked John.

I liked Ruth just fine the 2nd time (not the 1st)....but would take John D'S over Ruth H on any day of the week.

He was super-attentive, personable, and more importantly...pro-active.

He was solving problems I hadn't even encountered yet.

If Concierge is a promotion from Butler, then John is absolutely deserving of the move.

stephen

Is there only one concierge for all the suites or is there a couple? I'm not looking forward to having Ruth in November

I don't now about the Epic, but I'm pretty sure that on all the others there is just one concierge for all the suites.

We had John last September on the Spirit, he was fantastic. Several cruises later he is still our favorite. I can't believe NCL has not made his position permanent. He a really an asset for NCL.

Hope to on a cruise with him again soon. :)

Ruth? Why doesn't anyone like her? Is it like having a bad waiter.. Forget to refill your drinks, go on break so you wait half hour for your food?

It seemed to us, the first time we had Ruth, that everything we asked for...the answer was 'no'.

For EVERY other concierge, the answer was always either "yes", or "let me see what I can do".

This was simple stuff like... I called the restaurant, they say they're full at 7. Is there anything you can do? Answer = "no".

5 mins later, run into F & B manager who we met at m & G. He asks where are you eating. We say ... we're not sure, we were hoping to get into Le Bistro at 7, but they're full. He calls them, on the spot...looks at us and asks how about 7:15? We were thrilled.

SHE should have done that.

The 2nd time however, she was great.

Ruth? Why doesn't anyone like her? Is it like having a bad waiter.. Forget to refill your drinks, go on break so you wait half hour for your food?

She was wonderful when we had her on the Gem. Got us ressies almost every day even in the MDR. Made sure I knew when the football games that were not listed in the freestyle daily would be.:) I'm surprised everytime I read that someone was unhappy with her.

Monica is the Best (very true).

OK, LOL, I will get serious and stick to the thread......

The truth is NCL Suite life is awesome no matter which ship or whomever. They do it best. (period)

I love what they do to give me the best vacations.:D Thank you! Monica, Sean and Maxi. I wish for you only the very best!

Cherie

Glad you had a nice trip - I know that you have been watching the Jewel and Pearl go by your house every week - just wishing you were on them.

AK is great - no matter how many times you visit and a bad day at sea beats even the best day at the office :)

We also prefer John over Ruth any day. John is so excited about his job and goes over the top to make your cruise special. Ruth, on the other hand, has had her job for years and it's apparently become a bit of a bore to her. She's nice but she just doesn't have the Wow! factor.

I'm hoping since Klaus Lugamaier (the Hotel Director Exordinaire) was there to see first-hand how well John does as a Concierge, that he will soon receive a permanent assignment.

Archived