Halifax and Saint John

glee87

AVIS on Water Street (2 blocks from cruise terminals) rents a Dodge Grand Caravan - but appears to be sold out of them on that day. Enterprise appears to have one available - they are a 15 minute walk from ship.

Correction to date arriving: Oct. 25 is correct date

How far is the City Market in Saint John from the dock? Is it an easy walk?

you putter along the way. :D

One of the neat things about City Market, that you probably wouldn't notice, is the Roof of the building was built like the hull of an wooden boat. Look for it.

What is special about St. Martins? I have a choice of:

(1) stay in St. John for the day - public bus tour departs twice daily on first come basis, no reservations taken. What is the chance of getting on one of these bus tours Oct. 26?

(2) highlights of St. John in the morning (scenic drive of Historic District; Fort Howe views; stop at Reversing Falls; N.B. Museum; Old City Market) -- afternoon, St. Martins, sea cave and beach.

(3) 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. tour to St. Martins ....includes Reversing Falls and sea caves & beach....on return, old city market in St. John

(4) car rental .... a very last choice

I have never been to St. John, but have been to many parts of Canada, Maine, and New England. I am comfortable as an independent traveler. What is your suggestion for an interesting day in St. John and the area?

Get out of Saint John. Factory/refinery town. Lots to see not that far away. St Andrews by the Sea etc.

Get out of Saint John. Factory/refinery town. Lots to see not that far away. St Andrews by the Sea etc.

What does having a refinery or factories have to do with what Saint John has to offer? There are plenty of interesting things to see and do in this historic city and the fact that their are industrial jobs in the area shouldn't preclude it from being enjoyed. Personally I find this to be a very ignorant comment. What perfect place do you live in?

I agree with Acey-SJ. There is quite a history to explore in the uptown Trinity Royal Heritage area and a few places to see. Check out my other thread on 2012 Guide for Saint John. The refinery is quite a distance from all the highlights of the city and you only see it if you are driving to St Martins. Besides we are not ashamed of the industrialized nature of the city. It's what kept it going.

What does having a refinery or factories have to do with what Saint John has to offer? There are plenty of interesting things to see and do in this historic city and the fact that their are industrial jobs in the area shouldn't preclude it from being enjoyed. Personally I find this to be a very ignorant comment. What perfect place do you live in?

Everyone has pride of place and that's swell, but bottom-bottom Saint John is a factory town with very poor air quality. Here's a link from Canada's national broadcaster:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/06/03/nb-air-quality-report.html

Here's a report from a paper about pollution causing elevated levels of cancer in Saint John:

http://www.capebretonpost.com/Living/Health/2009-06-02/article-765485/Study-suggests-pollution-cause-of-high-cancer-rates-in-Saint-John,-N.B./1

Now nobody's going to get Emphysema (sp?) or Cancer from a six hour port call. I get that. But why would you stick around that kind of environment when you can go along the coast or up the river and see real scenery in fresh air?

I'm glad you like living there. Cheers.

Now nobody's going to get Emphysema (sp?) or Cancer from a six hour port call. I get that. But why would you stick around that kind of environment when you can go along the coast or up the river and see real scenery in fresh air?

I'm glad you like living there. Cheers.

A most unfortunate perspective to be sharing with the world. I visited family in Saint John from my earliest youth, lived in Saint John for two years and visit at least twice a year now. Acey is correct. There is much to see in town as well as the other sites mentioned. There is no credible reason to be encouraging our visitors to flee the city. The sites outside SJ are indeed worth visiting but the city itself has other attractions that are largely historic in nature, worthy of the interested visitor. The air quality in Saint John is just fine, thank-you. Matter of fact I can attest that Saint John is today cleaner than when I was a boy. It is a fine city with great air and water quality that enjoys a standard of living envied by many cities. Saint John is enjoyed by thousands of visitors each year, and deservedly so. Apparently not by Shawnio but that is OK, you are entitled to your opinion.

Edit to add, the CBC article is in regard to a specific subdivision of Saint John. It is dishonest for Shawnio to be pointing to this article in relation to cruise visitors. I lived in that very neighborhood and know my geography. Whatever issue the area has, it is in no way related to cruise visitors.

One of my favorite places is Nova Scotia is the Annapolis Valley. Just about an hour drive from Halifax. The fall colors are absolutely gorgeous right now. I frequently visit Wolfville, Blomidon, Grand Pre, Kentville etc. Great wineries down there as well as lots of little farmers markets/shops, crafts and the like. Would not be as rushed or busy as Peggy's Cove.

Archived