A Little Golden Princess Hawai'i News

Elua

Aloha Kakou,

Trikeman-Yep…found our Mauʻi onions and we have them in the fridge waiting to be put to use on my next batch of Portuguese Bean Soup.

ps52-How I wish we could invite everyone over to the Hale o Elua for a paʻina, but I donʻt think our quaint home could hold everyone!! Looking forward to meeting you as well!

shepp-Yes, the whole season does go up until the April 24th sailing. That is the last one for the season and we will be there for the whole ride. We are humbled that you decided on the Golden largely because of us…a lot to live up to! We know youʻll have a great time.

Mahalo Nui and Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

A month to go and again I am questioning my choice of the Star to Hawaii, hoping for the best but not expecting it. I will be anxious to see if Princess read any of the negative remarks regarding the Star to Hawaii in the spring and then made any changes after this past Alaska season.

I understand the differences between ships but not necessarily differences between atmosphere and activities. We should all be able to enjoy the same expectations especially with the same destination.

Aloha Kakou,

Trikeman-Yep…found our Mauʻi onions and we have them in the fridge waiting to be put to use on my next batch of Portuguese Bean Soup.

ps52-How I wish we could invite everyone over to the Hale o Elua for a paʻina, but I donʻt think our quaint home could hold everyone!! Looking forward to meeting you as well!

shepp-Yes, the whole season does go up until the April 24th sailing. That is the last one for the season and we will be there for the whole ride. We are humbled that you decided on the Golden largely because of us…a lot to live up to! We know youʻll have a great time.

Mahalo Nui and Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Hi Dave

Picking up my Portugese sausage this weekend from a special meat market about 40 minutes from my home to make your soup! Got the recipe from your blog. Can't wait to try it.

We had a great time 2010 learning the Yukelale from you and learning how to make lei's.

Pat

Hi Dave

Picking up my Portugese sausage this weekend from a special meat market about 40 minutes from my home to make your soup! Got the recipe from your blog. Can't wait to try it.

We had a great time 2010 learning the Yukelale from you and learning how to make lei's.

Pat

Aloha Pat,

Very brave of you to try my recipe...good luck! I did leave out one ingredient that many locals like to use, and that is a hamhock for flavor. It turns out great without, but feel free to shove one in there for flavor.

Mahalo for the kind words...maybe we'll see you soon on a cruise.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

We are another couple looking forward to meeting you (not til April though!) Looking forward to learning a little Ukelele and hoping for some George Formby!

:D

Aloha Feebarn,

Yes, April is a bit away, but will be here before you know it. as far as George Formby, I will admit that we will not be learning any of his songs, persay. But...the techniques that I teach you will enable you to give them a go. We start at the very basics and beginnings, and ny the time we are done with you, you should be more than capable of giving Leaning on a Lampost a go!

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha Greg,

These things are never 100%, as in my experience, there can be last minute changes, BUT, I believe that it will be Sammi Baker. I know she gets on the Golden November 7, so if I do the math, she should be there over the holidays. See you in a few months!!

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com/

Timing for Sammi sounds right. We are disembarking the Golden today. Frank Castioglione is the CD now and we were told he would be on board until the first week of November. Looks like he will be doing the first three Hawaii cruises this year.

Dave, will you be on the 9/26 sailing? We are 2 couples who have never been to Hawaii and are really looking forward to the trip.

Dick

Aloha topkick,

Yes, we will be on the 9/26 sailing. It is the first one of the season. We will be joining the ship in Vancouver to get things set up and ready for everyoneʻs trip down to Hawaiʻi. I hope you are going to try the uke classes and hula classes and lei making with us.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha topkick,

Yes, we will be on the 9/26 sailing. It is the first one of the season. We will be joining the ship in Vancouver to get things set up and ready for everyoneʻs trip down to Hawaiʻi. I hope you are going to try the uke classes and hula classes and lei making with us.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Dave - you will have fans on the three-day coastal. Andrea & Rick (never2late) will be on the ship. :D

One thing that I say about our 2010/11 cruise on the Golden is that it was the one cruise we've been on that you absolutely know what your destination is from the activities' date=' food, music, even if you were kept in the dark where you were going, blindfolded and thrown onto the ship without the info.:D Hopefully we'll be going again on this same itinerary.[/quote']

We were on the Golden twice in 2011 and enjoyed Dave and his wife and their island music so very much, unfortunately we had just missed David Cole. The atmosphere on the Golden was wonderful, you felt like being in Hawaii ,thanks to Elua, before you even got to the islands. Last April we did the same cruise on the Star out of S.F. there was NO island feeling at all, we might as well have cruised to Timbuktu and would not have known the difference:mad: What a shame that two identical ships could feel so different. Going out of S.F. is easier for us,no flying, so we are booked on the Star again over Thanksgiving and on the Grand next April. We are hoping that both ships have improved their music,food and entertainment to reflect the Hawaiian culture and ambiance. Of course nobody will ever take the place of Elua,they are just outstanding make any trip better. :)

Aloha, Dave and Leialoha!

We will be on the Golden 3 day cruise from Vancouver also. Any chance we will be hearing any of your lovely Hawaiian music aboard ship? That would definitely get us even more excited for our cruise on the Golden in January.

We have never been on one these short repositioning cruises -- is there any musical entertainment aboard ship? As many others who have booked this little 3 day cruise, we will be achieving our Elite status at the completion of this cruise! That free laundry is the one of the best perks Princess gives!

Looking forward to seeing you sooner than we expected!

Andrea and Rick

Aloha Kakou,

While Leialoha and I will be on the Golden for the coastal, unfortunatley, we will not be doing any kind of performing. We always use these three days before the Hawai'i season to get all of our equipment out of storage, liase with the various departments and staff, make sure all the things are in place for the Hawaiian program and tend to any last minute things that need attention before the season kicks in on the 26th. You may see us running around the ship, and please do stop us to say aloha, but we will not be "strapping in" until Sailaway on the 26th.

As far as musical entertainment on the coastals, you can anticipate this as having the same content as the longer cruise, as far as entertainment is concerned. Of course, every CD plans differently, but usually on a cruise like this, you will see at least one production show, a couple of variety shows, (comedians, jugglers etc...) and you can be sure that all the lounges will have the bands playing in them. They usually pack a lot of activity into these, so I think you will be happy with the entertainment on this coastal cruise.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

What fun to be "surfing" around the CC board this afternoon and to find your new "blog!" You're proving yourself quite talented not only in music but writing as well! We'll be following your new venture and look forward to more.

My DH took lessons with you a few years ago and we've since cruised with you a couple of times. We live near SF, so we sailed on Star Princess in April and are about to embark on her again at the end of this month.

Can you provide the address of the music store in Hilo that you recommend? We drove all over the place trying to find it last April with no luck! Mahalo in advance if you can provide an address or directions.

Wishing you and Leialoha many happy times in your new home............

What fun to be "surfing" around the CC board this afternoon and to find your new "blog!" You're proving yourself quite talented not only in music but writing as well! We'll be following your new venture and look forward to more.

My DH took lessons with you a few years ago and we've since cruised with you a couple of times. We live near SF, so we sailed on Star Princess in April and are about to embark on her again at the end of this month.

Can you provide the address of the music store in Hilo that you recommend? We drove all over the place trying to find it last April with no luck! Mahalo in advance if you can provide an address or directions.

Wishing you and Leialoha many happy times in your new home............

Aloha No,

Mahalo for the compliment on the blog. It's something I always wanted to try, but sometimes the internet on the ship can be a little spotty...so I never really dug down and tried it. Now that we have really good fast internet at the house, I can upload to my hearts content. Also, when the season starts, I can pre-write my blogs and then upload them on Hilo day.

Starting next summer, on our break, I am also going to be doing a podcast, which will be informational as well as playing some of the music, (Hawaiian and others) that I really feel gives the feel of the islands.

So, keep checking in...I am about to start writing tonight's in a few minutes...not sure what I'll cover, but I'm sure it will come to me.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

I am so happy you all are going to be entertaining/teaching us on the April 10, 2013, cruise to Hawaii. Dh and I are taking that cruise to celebrate out 40th anniversary (April 14), and are planning to renew our vows as well. Do you take requests for songs--would love to surprise him! Or maybe you can teach DH to play one, as he is gung ho about taking the ukulele lessons you offer!! Then I would be one surprised....:D

Thank you. Fran

Dave, thanks for taking the time to share with us, the in's and out's of your lives as cruise entertainers. There is one aspect to cruising that is a huge mystery for most of us and that is the entire scope of a Cruise Directors duties.

Since critical review of each Cruise Director is regular sport on these boards, maybe you can encourage David to detail a day, week or contract, so us passengers can grade more fairly. I think some passengers might only grade a CD by how many times they are seen onboard. Might be good for us to know, just how intense their job really is. Just a thought!

I am so happy you all are going to be entertaining/teaching us on the April 10' date=' 2013, cruise to Hawaii. Dh and I are taking that cruise to celebrate out 40th anniversary (April 14), and are planning to renew our vows as well. Do you take requests for songs--would love to surprise him! Or maybe you can teach DH to play one, as he is gung ho about taking the ukulele lessons you offer!! Then I would be one surprised....:D

Thank you. Fran[/quote']

Aloha,

Yes, we do take requests, if we know them. Seeing as how you don't cruise until next April, maybe we could learn it if we don't know it. What song would you like us to play for his birthday? Hopefully a Hawaiian song.:)

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha Bucky3,

E kala mai....I completely forgot about your question. If you like, can you message me at eluamusic@aol.com and I can send you back the info you requested. I'm not sure if moderators would be cool with me giving out a business address. Better to be safe then sorry.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Dave, thanks for taking the time to share with us, the in's and out's of your lives as cruise entertainers. There is one aspect to cruising that is a huge mystery for most of us and that is the entire scope of a Cruise Directors duties.

Since critical review of each Cruise Director is regular sport on these boards, maybe you can encourage David to detail a day, week or contract, so us passengers can grade more fairly. I think some passengers might only grade a CD by how many times they are seen onboard. Might be good for us to know, just how intense their job really is. Just a thought!

Aloha Kakahiaka,

I think that it is a very good idea, but to be truthful, a CDs day can be so busy, I am not sure when they would find the time to write a blog full time. But I can certainly pass on the request to David.

There is something floating around here on CC from Richard Joseph, that is a "day in the life" essay where he documents his schedule from morning to late night. It makes for interesting reading.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha,

Yes, we do take requests, if we know them. Seeing as how you don't cruise until next April, maybe we could learn it if we don't know it. What song would you like us to play for his birthday? Hopefully a Hawaiian song.:)

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

That would be so great, Dave. Regretfully, I do not know many Hawaiian songs, though would welcome you playing your favorite and then bridge it into the song I would love you all to sing. It's a song I first heard when a young girl, and have sung many times--in my head--since. The song is "I Remember You" from 1962, the artist was Frank Ifield, and I think I first heard it on the "Ed Sullivan" show. It is just the perfect song to have you all sing for my dh on our 40th, means so much more now.... That would be the absolute cherry on the top of our anniversary cruise!!

Thank you so very much! Fran

Dave - I bought one of the Jumpin' Jim's Songbooks that you recommended. I've worked my way through about 40 of the songs. Now if I could only sing better :rolleyes: My 5-year-old niece likes to sing the kids' songs with me. She's excited to be able to play "my dog has fleas" - lol.

Archived