A Little Golden Princess Hawai'i News

Elua

Aloha,

Yes, we do take requests, if we know them. Seeing as how you don't cruise until next April, maybe we could learn it if we don't know it. What song would you like us to play for his birthday? Hopefully a Hawaiian song.:)

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

Do you play the Hukilau song? My DW would love to hear that, I'm sure (she used to do a dance to it when she was just a child). We will be on the Golden with you on March 27, and I'm really looking forward to it. (From what I've read here I'm sure DW will enjoy you even more than I will, but she doesn't know all the details yet because I am still in the process of revealing the surprise.)

Do you play the Hukilau song? My DW would love to hear that, I'm sure (she used to do a dance to it when she was just a child). We will be on the Golden with you on March 27, and I'm really looking forward to it. (From what I've read here I'm sure DW will enjoy you even more than I will, but she doesn't know all the details yet because I am still in the process of revealing the surprise.)

Aloha,

Yes, we certainly play The Hukilau Song. It would be our pleasure to play it for you. Just come up and ask for it.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha,

Yes, we certainly play The Hukilau Song. It would be our pleasure to play it for you. Just come up and ask for it.

A Hui Hou,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

that's one of my wife's favorite songs... and it's such a pleasure to watch and listen to the talents of ELUA sing and play it. And thanks for taking the time for this thread... it's really great for the "newbies" to catch up on all the Hawaii cruise news, and us old timers enjoy it also!

Dave, we'll see you Oct 10!

Mike

Aloha Kakou,

Trikeman-Yep…found our Mauʻi onions and we have them in the fridge waiting to be put to use on my next batch of Portuguese Bean Soup.

ps52-How I wish we could invite everyone over to the Hale o Elua for a paʻina, but I donʻt think our quaint home could hold everyone!! Looking forward to meeting you as well!

shepp-Yes, the whole season does go up until the April 24th sailing. That is the last one for the season and we will be there for the whole ride. We are humbled that you decided on the Golden largely because of us…a lot to live up to! We know youʻll have a great time.

Mahalo Nui and Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha Dave,

Your mention of Portuguese Bean Soup made me hungry so I pulled some of my stash out from the freezer for dinner (always make big batches.) Do you use stove top or Crock-Pot method of cooking? I found the slow cooker gives a more intense flavor, the meat falls off the bone ... oh soo ono!!! Plus you don't have to constantly watch it. I love the traditional dishes, but unlike Mom and the previous generations staying hours in the kitchen, I am always looking for a quicker method in getting the same result. My cousin is a pan laulau generation and let's just say it doesn't sit well with my uncle who won't touch it even though it is really good.

By the way, I also enjoy your blog. It is nice to see the "old timers" singing. I personally like the traditional singing with their aloha wear and don't particularly care for the younger "comtemporary" local artists of today with their sunglasses and over-sized clothing. May be I just a wee bit old fashioned.

A hui hou.

Aloha Dave,

By the way, I also enjoy your blog. It is nice to see the "old timers" singing. I personally like the traditional singing with their aloha wear and don't particularly care for the younger "comtemporary" local artists of today with their sunglasses and over-sized clothing. May be I just a wee bit old fashioned.

A hui hou.

Sometimes old fashioned isn't all bad.

Aloha Dave,

Your mention of Portuguese Bean Soup made me hungry so I pulled some of my stash out from the freezer for dinner (always make big batches.) Do you use stove top or Crock-Pot method of cooking? I found the slow cooker gives a more intense flavor, the meat falls off the bone ... oh soo ono!!! Plus you don't have to constantly watch it. I love the traditional dishes, but unlike Mom and the previous generations staying hours in the kitchen, I am always looking for a quicker method in getting the same result. My cousin is a pan laulau generation and let's just say it doesn't sit well with my uncle who won't touch it even though it is really good.

A hui hou.

Aloha,

I'm still all new to cooking in general, so I will say that when I made the last batch, it was on the stove top. That being said, I do like my slow cooker as well.

Mahalo for the compliment on the blog. It's interesting to put things like Aunty Genoa and Aunty Flo and the like on there, as mainland people are not really used to that kind of thing, and we find that many people don't really like that style of Hawaiian music...but we love it. I see my "job" as trying to expose people to aspects of the culture that they may not find on their own...a little at a time so as not to overload people. :)

I know what you're saying about the dress and appearance of the younger generation, but I find that the musicians who look like that are primarily playing Jawaiian and the like. I find that most of the musicians, young and old who play Hawaiian language and "classic" Hawaiian music tend to look the part and dress appropriately. I always love the look of a mu'um'u, aloha shirt, kukui nut lei, black or white slacks and shoes. Seeing a band looking "tight" and playing those wonderful mele can't be beat.

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Aloha,

I'm still all new to cooking in general, so I will say that when I made the last batch, it was on the stove top. That being said, I do like my slow cooker as well.

Mahalo for the compliment on the blog. It's interesting to put things like Aunty Genoa and Aunty Flo and the like on there, as mainland people are not really used to that kind of thing, and we find that many people don't really like that style of Hawaiian music...but we love it. I see my "job" as trying to expose people to aspects of the culture that they may not find on their own...a little at a time so as not to overload people. :)

I know what you're saying about the dress and appearance of the younger generation, but I find that the musicians who look like that are primarily playing Jawaiian and the like. I find that most of the musicians, young and old who play Hawaiian language and "classic" Hawaiian music tend to look the part and dress appropriately. I always love the look of a mu'um'u, aloha shirt, kukui nut lei, black or white slacks and shoes. Seeing a band looking "tight" and playing those wonderful mele can't be beat.

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

A 'oia. You hit the nail on the head. Although my generation grew up with Brahdah Nolan and Kapena, I go for the nahenahe sounds of the Makaha Sons, Ho'okena, Robert Cazimero or even Nina or Hawai'i Calls but that doesn't mean I don't mind hearing a hapa hau'ole ditty every now and then. Love to hear musicians sing falsetto. Mahalo for introducing passengers to the Hawaiian culture and music.

A hui hou,

Diana

Aloha! Does anyone know who the CD is on the Sapphire Princess November 24, 2012 from LA to Hawaii and will the cruise have Hawaiian entertainment as does the Golden? This is my first visit on CC, so I hope I am asking correctly. Thank you!

Aloha fritolaylady,

As far as I know, the November 24 Sapphire Hawai'i cruise will be David Cole's first one back from his vacation, and he should be your cd.

Having worked with David, I can assure you that there will be lots of Hawaiian themed activities onboard...it is David's favorite run, and his port talks are not to be missed. I cannot speak to who the Hawaiian musicians on board will be, (we are over on the Golden) but I am sure they will be enjoyable.

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Do you know if Martyn has put

"Hawaiian" on the Star?

People has said there wasn't anything

on the Hawaii cruies. Now Alaska will be

over soon. Star Hawaii bound!

Hope he will get it started. Won't be

your music but hope we have something

in Oct. Thanks

Do you know if Martyn has put

"Hawaiian" on the Star?

People has said there wasn't anything

on the Hawaii cruies. Now Alaska will be

over soon. Star Hawaii bound!

Hope he will get it started. Won't be

your music but hope we have something

in Oct. Thanks

Aloha Belle,

I'm sorry to say that I don't know what the Star has in store for Hawaiiana on board. I do know from talking to people that Princess is continually making an effort to bring Hawaiian activities, speakers, movies and atmosphere to all of the ships that go to the islands. I know what we will have, but I cannot know for certain what will be on the other ships.

A Hui Hiu,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

Hi Belle, We were on the Star Hawaiian Cruise back in April 28, 2012. Lots of Hawaiian Themed Venue. A local Destination Lecturer, Flavored Cocktails, Movies, Three kinds of Lei Making, Ukulele and Hula Classes. There was over 21 different lectures on the Hawaiian Culture, History and Language. Seven different Hawaiian Themed Cocktails offered. Three Special Market Place Sales like T-shirts, Ball Caps, Sarongs and Mac-Nut. The most popular by listing were Ukulele, Orchid Lei Making, Lectures and finally the Hula Classes. Beside all the above, there was a Passenger Talent Show, Country Western Hoe Down, 50's and 60's Hair Spray Party, Princess Pop Star Karaoke Night, Nightly Lounge Ballroom Dancing and just relaxed Piano Bar listening. Also in Honolulu, a Local Halau Hula Olana Dance Troop came on board and did two shows, one at 7 pm and then 9 pm. Belle, there is plenty of :DAloha Spirit:D on board. If you need to know what lectures were given, I'll email you a list. Happy Cruising. Gimer

Archived