So upset. Reservation accidentally cancelled by Carnival - any recourse?

papayagirl

I’ve been reading the boards regularly since the Spring, but I’ve never posted before, so first, a big thank you to everyone here for their amazing advice. I’m going on a Western Caribbean cruise leaving Nov 3, and you guys have told me everything I could ever need to know about planning a vacation for 7 people (ages 5-83), and I don’t know how I would’ve done it without this board. So forgive me for making my first post so long and ranting, but I’m hoping you’ll have some more great advice to help me get through a bit of a mess.

Back in April, I booked our cruise over the phone with Carnival for me, my husband and my two kids. The next day, my parents confirmed they wanted to go too, so I called back and spoke to another rep (the original person wasn’t working) who helped me book a balcony cabin across the hall for them, on their credit card. Both reps told me final payment would be due in August.

Around Aug 20, I saw a charge on my AmEx for our remaining balance, and I assumed my mom’s card was charged at the same time. It wasn’t until earlier this week that we realized it never was, so I called Carnival on Monday.

It turns out that my reservation was set up to auto-charge the balance, but my mom’s wasn’t. (Something I was not aware of – I definitely wouldn’t have intentionally set it up this way.) Carnival says they sent an email to my mom on Aug 21 letting her know the payment was due, and when she didn’t respond or submit a payment, they cancelled her reservation. After more than an hour on the phone, the only option we were given was to rebook their same cabin (which was luckily still available) … for $510 more. Reluctantly I finally agreed because this is the first family cruise we’re ever doing, and we’ve all been looking forward to it for so long that I didn’t want to let the cabin get booked up by someone else.

During the course of the conversation, it came out that the email address they sent my mother’s Payment Due notice to was actually mine, spelled incorrectly. (As an example, imagine booking a cruise for Katherine Jones and inputting her email address as catherine@zyx.com.) Because the email obviously bounced, Carnival didn’t advise us that final payment would have to be made manually OR that final payment was due. While they acknowledged this and my sales rep apologized profusely, the escalations agent refused to honor the original price (or even throw in anything extra for our $510) because I hadn't responded to a phone call 10 days earlier from the sales rep asking if it was a mistake that the reservation had been cancelled. (In my defense, I’d failed to listen to it right away because they’d called me SO many times early on asking if I was ready to book the cruise, I assumed it was another courtesy call.)

I’m so upset about his, I can barely talk about Carnival or our cruise without still getting fired up. I acknowledge my part in not responding to the call fast enough *after* the cancellation happened, and fortunately, my parents are still going on the cruise. But this seems so unfair and it’s put such a huge damper on an otherwise exciting time. Is there anything else anyone would suggest I do at this point?

I'm sorry that you find yourself in this situation. Unfortunately I don't think that there is anything that will be done to further remedy the situation. You are lucky that the cabin was still available.

This was a costly mistake on your part. I don't mean to sound harsh but all of the details regarding the bookings including confirmation of email addresses, knowledge of final payment date, confirmation that payment had indeed been made and posted to your billing statement was yours.

I have read about similar issues with other cruisers and now I don't take anything for granted. I double and triple check every aspect of my pending cruises.

I hope that you can have a good time and not let the mistakes of the past have any influence over having a great family cruise.........I would loved to have discovered cruising when I still had parents that I could have enjoyed it with.

I’ve been reading the boards regularly since the Spring, but I’ve never posted before, so first, a big thank you to everyone here for their amazing advice. I’m going on a Western Caribbean cruise leaving Nov 3, and you guys have told me everything I could ever need to know about planning a vacation for 7 people (ages 5-83), and I don’t know how I would’ve done it without this board. So forgive me for making my first post so long and ranting, but I’m hoping you’ll have some more great advice to help me get through a bit of a mess.

Back in April, I booked our cruise over the phone with Carnival for me, my husband and my two kids. The next day, my parents confirmed they wanted to go too, so I called back and spoke to another rep (the original person wasn’t working) who helped me book a balcony cabin across the hall for them, on their credit card. Both reps told me final payment would be due in August.

Around Aug 20, I saw a charge on my AmEx for our remaining balance, and I assumed my mom’s card was charged at the same time. It wasn’t until earlier this week that we realized it never was, so I called Carnival on Monday.

It turns out that my reservation was set up to auto-charge the balance, but my mom’s wasn’t. (Something I was not aware of – I definitely wouldn’t have intentionally set it up this way.) Carnival says they sent an email to my mom on Aug 21 letting her know the payment was due, and when she didn’t respond or submit a payment, they cancelled her reservation. After more than an hour on the phone, the only option we were given was to rebook their same cabin (which was luckily still available) … for $510 more. Reluctantly I finally agreed because this is the first family cruise we’re ever doing, and we’ve all been looking forward to it for so long that I didn’t want to let the cabin get booked up by someone else.

During the course of the conversation, it came out that the email address they sent my mother’s Payment Due notice to was actually mine, spelled incorrectly. (As an example, imagine booking a cruise for Katherine Jones and inputting her email address as catherine@zyx.com.) Because the email obviously bounced, Carnival didn’t advise us that final payment would have to be made manually OR that final payment was due. While they acknowledged this and my sales rep apologized profusely, the escalations agent refused to honor the original price (or even throw in anything extra for our $510) because I hadn't responded to a phone call 10 days earlier from the sales rep asking if it was a mistake that the reservation had been cancelled. (In my defense, I’d failed to listen to it right away because they’d called me SO many times early on asking if I was ready to book the cruise, I assumed it was another courtesy call.)

I’m so upset about his, I can barely talk about Carnival or our cruise without still getting fired up. I acknowledge my part in not responding to the call fast enough *after* the cancellation happened, and fortunately, my parents are still going on the cruise. But this seems so unfair and it’s put such a huge damper on an otherwise exciting time. Is there anything else anyone would suggest I do at this point?

When you didnt respond to the agent asking about the cancellation think you screwed yourself. Problem with making assumptions

All you can do I think is chalk it up to a lesson learned and have a great time on your cruise.

When you didnt respond to the agent asking about the cancellation think you screwed yourself. Problem with making assumptions

All you can do I think is chalk it up to a lesson learned and have a great time on your cruise.

Yeah, I don't know if OP has an options, if his call already was escalated.

IMO the thread title is misleading - it wasn't "accidentally canceled by Carnival." They intentionally canceled it when their phone call wasn't returned and the balance paid.

But sorry to have this happen, OP...I'd be disappointed. I just don't know what options you may have.

As sad as it is that this happened, it is the responsibility of the cruiser to know when their final payment is due and make sure it gets paid.

This is why I advise folks who are fairly new to cruising to use a trusted travel agent to prevent rookie mistakes like this.

To be clear, Carnival did not "accidentally" cancel your booking...

it was cancelled because you did not make the final payment....which is ultimately your responsibility and the reason Carnival will not rebook at the original price.

Did you fill out your fun pass? Could you have avoided that whole mess if that funpass was filled out?

--

It's my understanding that the Funpass can't be filled out until the cruise is paid in full. I alway payoff my cruises well before final payment date and as soon as it's posted I complete our funpass and print out all the documentation.

It's my understanding that the Funpass can't be filled out until the cruise is paid in full. I alway payoff my cruises well before final payment date and as soon as it's posted I complete our funpass and print out all the documentation.

The Funpass info online can be filled out at any time after booking. You can't print out you boarding passes until after final payment.

That remind me... Final payment for my cruises are due in a couple of weeks :rolleyes:

nah, my funpass has been filled out for quite some time-- final payment is not due until Nov.

Stop beating yourself up over it...it was a mistake, and we've all made costly ones. Live and learn. Now let it go and start looking forward to your cruise! How wonderful to be going with your parents and kids! I'm sure that it will be an amazing vacation for everyone.

I agree. Had the OP contacted them right away I bet they would have gotten the booking reinstated for the original price.

Everyone is correct, nothing you can do to change this. Enjoy your cruise and maybe if you cruise with Carnival again get you a Vacation planner and stick with the same one and he will follow up with you if final payment is not made. I have the Same PVP for years with Carnival.

So enjoy your cruise with your parents even though you have to pay more, life is short and anything can happen so go while you can and enjoy it.

Sorry that you missed the final payment but they did have a right to cancel .

Gail

Accidently? Nope, it was on purpose when you failed to make the final payment and ignored the phone calls.

My gosh, that's harsh. Rubbing salt in a wound is never necessary.

Stop beating yourself up over it...it was a mistake, and we've all made costly ones. Live and learn. Now let it go and start looking forward to your cruise! How wonderful to be going with your parents and kids! I'm sure that it will be an amazing vacation for everyone.

This is the best advice you've received. So sorry you had this happen to you. I totally understand how it did and only hope you can move on from it now. Have a wonderful time with your family.

To the OP- I am so sorry this happened to you. Although I agree with you that it would have been nice if Carnival had re-booked the room and honored the original price- I also understand why they did not.

I hope you are able to look at the bright side- you are going on a wonderful cruise with your family and that you all have an amazing time!

It happens to everyone until we learn to double check everything.

My learning experience was booking a short package flight + hotle to Las Vegas at Thanksgiving. I arrived at the airport after a 2 hr drive and putting dogs in kennels to find no flight reservation. Used a TA but they were gone for the holiday so I did not have a clue what the problem was. Flew standby, looked for hotel once we arrived, flew standby to return. Contacted TA was told that they never forwarded CC info to package provider with no apology, nada. Learned what I should have know. Get confirmation numbers and verify payments were made. Carry hardcopy receipts of everything....

Live and learn. I'm sure your parents know it was an honest mistake that has happened to them as well. If money can fix it, it's not that big of a problem compared to other things like health issues.

papayagirl - I'm thinking this is not particularly Carnival's fault, and you're probably out of luck. Having said that, your remaining hope might be to call, get a supervisor, briefly explain your situation in about two concise sentences, and ask how you can talk to someone in the so-called "guest resolutions" department to plead your case. ken

I'm sorry this happened but happy you'll still get to cruise together.

But I'm one of those obsessive types - I check my reservation (and my DD's linked res) regularly. I would've looked at the other res online when I made my final payment to be sure that the other was also paid off. If it wasn't, I would've been on the phone to find out why.

We actually had a glitch on Leg 2 of my B2B. A friend is joining me for that leg only, and when I went online to make final payment for my half of the balance, it wouldn't take it. But I was able to do it over the telephone automated service.

But cruise buddy couldn't get either system to take her final payment, so she got to spend 20 minutes on hold trying to get someone to figure it out.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story here is that you just have to keep on top of it.

Still, I think it would be "nice" if Carnival would've compromised and split the increase with you. Isn't there some customer service rep on their Facebook page that's helped out some other folks? Certainly couldn't hurt to explain the situation to someone who may actually be able to help. All we can do is commiserate with you.

That's one of those customer service things that is entirely at the discretion of Carnival. If the price is now $500 higher, there must be a lot of demand for that sailing. So they have to weigh the goodwill they would derive from giving you a $500 gift (the difference between the current market value of the cabin and the amount you could have had it for when you originally booked) with the cost of giving away that much money for nothing other than the goodwill of one customer. Normally, I expect companies to make a reasonable effort to maintain customer goodwill, even when the fault is entirely that of the customer. But $500 is a lot of money, especially when you have to figure that the very same thing probably plays out a couple times on every sailing on every ship in the fleet. I'm not a Carnival cheerleader, but in this case, it is probably beyond a reasonable expectation for Carnival to give you that much money.

Archived