Rent a car to get to rum point or stick with the ship excursion?

Joeybun

We did Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour a few years back and really enjoyed it. This time we just want to spend our time on the beach since we loved Rum Point. What are your thoughts about renting a car near the pier and driving ourselves over to Rum Point? Is it hectic getting there considering driving on the left and all? I see ranges of anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes to drive there and am not sure why the difference.

The ship has a 5 to 5.5hr Rum Point beach only excursion too, $59 pp. It's more than the car rental, but I think it includes lunch. (the description is kind of vague) This seems to be the most convenient especially considering any potential issue with getting off the ship due to tendering. (Have had to wait, wait, wait before when not doing a ship sponsored trip) But we do like the freedom of a car.

We are in port 7:30 to 4. I assume last tender is at 3:30. We are coming on Disney Magic.

We could also go to a closer beach but I wonder if any have that same feel as RP, as in, no high rise buildings? Or, at least, extremely casual.

Appreciate your opinions!

Sounds like Houston or LA or anywhere really :)

I guess if we drive we would want to take the short route there in the morning and then leave when it gets more crowded and take the longer route back. I'm assuming that it gets more and more crowded as the day passes and the boats start dropping off their guests. Correct?

Some excursions will show up starting around 11:30. It gets busiest from 12:30-2:00 when the Sting Ray City excursions head-in for lunch and then head back to get folks in the tender lines.

My advice is to get there as early as possible. So take the Frank Sound Road option that cuts inland up to North Side. IF it gets too crowded for your enjoyment, head to lunch down the street at Kaibo and check out Starfish Beach, if so inclined. Or head back the long way, as you mentioned, and stop for lunch at Over the Edge, Tukka or Miss Vivines, the Lighthouse or South Coast Bar & Grill.

Starfish Beach is a huge vacant lot that is supposedly going to be condos someday. It's out in Cayman Kai, near Rum Point. A number of excursions have taken to stopping there, since there are usually lots of starfish in the water off-shore. It's much easier to visit by boat than by car, since the property owners have blocked off the land entrance and you can't drive on or even close to the beach. You have to park on the road and walk in.

Rent a compact, extremely easy drive, roads are excellent on GCM just rent a compact, 45 min to RP with the shortcut, do NOT go the East End route. Left-side of the road isn't bad, just be careful at the roundabouts. If you drive on the right side of the car and on the left side of the road that takes some getting used to but you can request left-hand drivers seat in your reservation (except for the mid-size Suziki which will be RH.

Note that insurance can almost double the fee, if your credit card covers you (capital one, etc) that can save $29 or so per day. If so waive the insurance the rental agency offers or your insurance will be nullified.

Do try the Grouper BLT and the mudslide at the Wreck Grill. We stopped at Starfish Point as part of the Fat Fish Adventure on wave runners (excellent excursion!) and I wouldn't worry about going there, there were a few starfish and jellyfish but the beach is not as nice as RP or SMB and your time is precious.

Archived