QE Cruise to Norway, walking questions

sparkle56

I am giving my husband a cruise on the QE next June as a Christmas gift. He is Norwegian, second generation so it should be meaningful. It's killing me not to be able to share my research! :)

However, last March I injured my back moving bookcases for my elderly mother and now six months later still must use a walking stick if much walking anywhere is involved. This is just maddening but facts are facts.

As I am looking at the various excursions for the ports we will visit--Stavanger, Gerainger, Bergen, and Olden--it looks like a LOT of walking will be involved. Ordinarily this would be a welcome thing but it now causes me great concern.

Are these ports do-able if one really can't hike short distances? (And we love walking and hiking.) Are there transportation options to get us from the ship to the main parts of town?

Hopefully, 10 months will allow for more healing of the injury but if not, I want to make sure that we have Shore Excursion options that will allow us to see Norway.

Thank you.

you can take a HOHO bus in all but Olden,,,thats very small,,,but can book bus tour to glaciers,,etc.Either thru your ship,,or by googling tourism in ea.port.

In Bergen,,HOHO bus was about 50 steps away from dock.Stavanger a trifle farther,,or our ship had a bus that dropped you off in town and returned later...so you should do fine.Can always take a full bus tour and then decide what you can walk to on second pass.;)

That's really helpful, Alexandra Cruiser!

50 steps is absolutely do-able, and hopefully by next year many more will be. But the HOHO buses sound like a good option!

Do you see a lot of the scenery and fjords as you are arriving in each port?

Olden - there is a little train that will take you around the lake/ area. It leaves from immediately in front of ship, about 20 seconds away! We really enjoyed it. The roads and paths immediately by the ship in Olden are very flat and it is possible to do some gentle walking here (down to the churches for example) if you feel you are able. You will still see beautiful scenery, waterfalls & rivers. It's a very pretty little place.

already booked for other cruisers,,,so good to have another option.Was very smiall with only 30 seats or so.

About views,,,YES you ll see FANTASTIC views of fiords,,etc...in fact,,its SO pretty,,,hard to sleep. I kept getting up at Dawn because I didnt want to miss anything.

You ll love it...a trip of a lifetime.Do dress for it,,in layers..in June it ranged from 70 to 45,,with rain on and off. In Stavanger I even bought wool hat,,gloves...but,,hey,,I m from Florida.:)

alexandra cruiser, I've been noticing many people saying to dress in layers and we will do that.

I used to live in Florida, am about to make my 9th trip down there in the past eight months. And it has been so funny that here in North Dakota, where everyone assumes we live in igloos, it has often been warmer here than there in FL. We had something like 9 above 100 degree days this summer. Today it was 89.

You called it a trip of a lifetime. That is exactly what my goal is for DH.

But I have been curious about the weather in June in Norway and don't understand how Celsius translates to Fahrenheit so you helped with that.

Morgans, I think that little train sounds very nice. I will do some research on it, how to book, cost, etc. Thank you.

Can anyone tell me how much scenery we will see going in and out of the ports and how long it takes from open ocean to the place where the ship stops? I've been watching the live webcams and it looks like that journey is very interesting at each place. Will we see, for instance, the Seven Sisters waterfalls as we are approaching the port?

I booked us a cabin that has a very large rounded balcony. Was worried about it being too cool to be out there but just thought being able to see the scenery was important.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I am giving my husband a cruise on the QE next June as a Christmas gift. He is Norwegian, second generation so it should be meaningful. It's killing me not to be able to share my research! However, last March I injured my back moving bookcases for my elderly mother and now six months later still must use a walking stick if much walking anywhere is involved. This is just maddening but facts are facts. As I am looking at the various excursions for the ports we will visit--Stavanger, Gerainger, Bergen, and Olden--it looks like a LOT of walking will be involved. Ordinarily this would be a welcome thing but it now causes me great concern. Are these ports do-able if one really can't hike short distances? (And we love walking and hiking.) Are there transportation options to get us from the ship to the main parts of town? Hopefully, 10 months will allow for more healing of the injury but if not, I want to make sure that we have Shore Excursion options that will allow us to see Norway. Thank you.

Sorry on your back challenges and good luck for your fast recovery. Have not been to Stavanger or Olden, but super loved BOTH Gerainger and Bergen. Below are some of my notes and visuals for these two spectacular places. Doing a ship or private tour might be the best way to help solve some of your logistical challenges. That costs money, but you'd hate to be in these places and miss the great sights and places there. See more on my full live/blog connected below.

Reactions and added questions?

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

We did a special two-hour tour for our group of six with Anne Lien, the owner of Bergen Guide Service. You can reach Anne at http://www.bergenguideservice.no or by e-mail at anne@bergenguideservice.no.

Anne was great in giving us the details about the unique history of the Hanseatic merchants, how their building were built, what’s caused the crooked-look of today and what’s being done to preserve these unique structures.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,440 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,692 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Next to the Videseter Hotel on our way to Geiranger when going “up country”, we saw this spectacular waterfall at this scenic high mountain elevation location. You can see how small is the hotel/dining building at the top to the right of waterfall to give an idea on the massive scale for this natural wonder. When you go beyond just the port stop village, you can better experience “ALL” that is there and around in these scenic parts of Norway.:

Fjord2WaterfallTallHotelNear.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Wow, so many super helpful people are giving me ideas! Thank you.

Terry, I will contact Anne and see what she might suggest in Bergen. So far nobody is responding to my roll call for the cruise but I will bet there will be others interested in private tours as we get closer to the sailing date.

Generally, we prefer ship's tours even though they cost more. However, when we were in the Mediterranean we almost exclusively did private tours with fellow passengers we had met and it worked out just fine.

In the Caribbean, we have TWO times seen people who booked private excursions frantically waving at the departing ship from the pier because they didn't make it back in time.

I suspect that DH will initially be thinking we would go to Oslo but the reviews on Bergen are all fantastic, including yours, and the fact it is where Viking history is so centered makes it appealing. The photos are wonderful!

At first the Funicular didn't interest me, but now seeing photos it very much is on the "to do" list.

It's really interesting to live vicariously through all of the memories, reviews, and photos from all who are responding! I appreciate it so feel free to keep sharing and offering advice.

I should probably mention that DH will be 71 at the time of our sailing and I will be 65. No fuddy duddies, us--but we won't be climbing, parasailing, zip-lining, or mountain biking. But local color, getting to know the people of Norway, and appreciating the scenery are top of the list. DH will proudly produce his Sons of Norway card and a list of the cities his family members emigrated from (Stavanger is where his mother is from) to any unsuspecting local he meets. :rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me how much scenery we will see going in and out of the ports and how long it takes from open ocean to the place where the ship stops? I've been watching the live webcams and it looks like that journey is very interesting at each place. Will we see, for instance, the Seven Sisters waterfalls as we are approaching the port?

I booked us a cabin that has a very large rounded balcony. Was worried about it being too cool to be out there but just thought being able to see the scenery was important.

The sail-in (and sail-out) to Geiranger will be the most spectacular and is not to be missed. Even with the big balcony, unless it's a full forward or aft balcony, you might want to view this sail-in from a public deck up top, so that you can see the scenery on both sides. The Seven Sisters will be on the port side during the sail-in, but there are waterfalls on both sides through the entire fjord, and The Suitor directly opposite the Seven Sisters is also quite striking when the flow is high. I've sailed through Geiranger in both May and June, and there were definitely more waterfalls in May when the winter snow was still melting in the mountains, but June is still quite impressive. (I've also visited Sognefjord in mid-August and the difference in the waterfall activity along the fjord is noticeable.)

You'll spend about a little over an hour sailing the most dramatic stretch of Geirangerfjord (from Hellesylt to Geiranger), but there's probably 2½ to 3 hours of sailing between the open sea and the tender position at Geiranger. Likewise, you'll have just as much time sailing out (though some ships choose to sail a bit slower on the way in, since the scenery is such a big deal).

In Bergen and Stavanger, the ports are a bit closer to the open sea, so you'll probably have 30 minutes to an hour of sailing from leaving the port position to reaching the open ocean. Olden is another fjord port, so you should have at least an hour of inland sailing.

So I would expect plenty of time to enjoy the views from your balcony! :) If the weather is cooler, you might consider sneaking a deck blanket down to your cabin to make the sailing more comfortable. Or pack your own if you have the space!

Alexandra is spot on that the weather in Norway varies hugely, so layers are a must. On my two fjord cruises, I've experienced short-sleeves and 70F weather in May and low 50s with rain in mid-June, so you honestly can't know what to expect. It's worth packing a thin winter hat and gloves just in case, because if the temperatures drop or the wind picks up, it can be a bit chilly out on deck during the beautiful sailing. Sadly on my first sail through Geiranger, I saw a lot of people who had to duck inside because they were too cold, and a hat and gloves can make a bigger difference than a warmer jacket (and they take up less space). And I've been living in Norway for over 5 years, so it's not just warm-climate passengers who have problems! ;) (Norwegians actually have a saying that "There's no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing." Great advice for a place with such beautiful nature!)

PS - If you enjoy the hot tub, consider taking plenty of photos of Geirangerfjord during the sail-in, and then enjoy the sail-out from the warm, relaxing comfort of the jacuzzi. Since you're reclined, you look up at the towering fjord walls and get a much different view. I did this sailing out of Geiranger on the QE2, and it is one of my fondest cruise memories!

Wow, so many super helpful people are giving me ideas! Thank you. Terry, I will contact Anne and see what she might suggest in Bergen. So far nobody is responding to my roll call for the cruise but I will bet there will be others interested in private tours as we get closer to the sailing date. Generally, we prefer ship's tours even though they cost more. However, when we were in the Mediterranean we almost exclusively did private tours with fellow passengers we had met and it worked out just fine. In the Caribbean, we have TWO times seen people who booked private excursions frantically waving at the departing ship from the pier because they didn't make it back in time. I suspect that DH will initially be thinking we would go to Oslo but the reviews on Bergen are all fantastic, including yours, and the fact it is where Viking history is so centered makes it appealing. The photos are wonderful! At first the Funicular didn't interest me, but now seeing photos it very much is on the "to do" list. It's really interesting to live vicariously through all of the memories, reviews, and photos from all who are responding! I appreciate it so feel free to keep sharing and offering advice. I should probably mention that DH will be 71 at the time of our sailing and I will be 65. No fuddy duddies, us--but we won't be climbing, parasailing, zip-lining, or mountain biking. But local color, getting to know the people of Norway, and appreciating the scenery are top of the list. DH will proudly produce his Sons of Norway card and a list of the cities his family members emigrated from (Stavanger is where his mother is from) to any unsuspecting local he meets.

kaisatsu: The sail-in (and sail-out) to Geiranger will be the most spectacular and is not to be missed. Even with the big balcony' date=' unless it's a full forward or aft balcony, you might want to view this sail-in from a public deck up top, so that you can see the scenery on both sides. The Seven Sisters will be on the port side during the sail-in, but there are waterfalls on both sides through the entire fjord, and The Suitor directly opposite the Seven Sisters is also quite striking when the flow is high. [/quote']

Appreciate the great follow-up comments from Sparkle. Plus, Meg's added points on the super sail-out there from Geiranger. Below are some of my added visuals for there, plus in Bergen. Don't worry that your roll call is rather limited now. It's takes time to get people to "engage" at times on some sailings. Keep researching and planning!!

Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. These efforts will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,440 views.

Here is a different view as you are sailing from Geiranger and approaching the famed “Seven Sisters”. This is the view from the top of the ship as we are turning in this narrow fjord and first seeing some of this famous waterfall. Great majesty from nature in an amazing setting. This is the 39th tallest waterfall in Norway. The waterfall consists of seven separate streams, and it is located four miles west of Geiranger. The tallest of the seven has a free fall that measures 820’. The total height above the water from the top is 1,350'. The legend is that the seven sisters dance playfully down the mountain, while a single waterfall opposite, the Suitor, a male onlooker, flirts playfully from across the fjord.:

GeirFjord7SistersApproach.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and here, directly opposite in this narrow fjord, is this single waterfall called several names, including “The Suitor”.:

Fjords2TwoSistersFacingEachOther.jpg

These Norway Coast cruises offer spectacular fjords and other interesting sights. You will see mountains, farms, green fields, churches, etc. along these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsChurchMountains.jpg

FjordsFlowersFarmSetting.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

I am so taken with the beauty of the photographs that you are sharing, and the information that is forthcoming. :)

As I said in a previous post it is killing me not to share this with my DH but I will be sure and share all of it once Santa has given his presents this Christmas!

Just learning what side the Seven Sisters is on during sail in is helpful. . .and although geography is not my strong suit, I can also figure out that it will be starboard on the sail out. So it sounds like we will see both the Sisters and the Suitor coming or going. Our cabin (7077 on the QE) is mid-ships, starboard, but its location gives it a bump out balcony.

I loved the idea of sitting in a hot tub as we sail out!

This is a great quote and one to remember, thanks, kaisatsu! Norwegians actually have a saying that "There's no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing." What brought you to Norway to live?

Okay, Terry, kaisatsu, and the others: Of the four ports are there any other "must sees" that really stay with you, that tell part of the story of Norway, or are otherwise compelling?

I've seen some mention of the petroleum museum. That's one that would be at the bottom of my list except for the fact that North Dakota is now #2 in the U.S. in oil production, surpassing Alaska. And sometimes when we are at the airport, we'll see people from Norway who are visiting the Bakken oil fields to consider investing in them. So that museum may be of interest. Also saw a sardine packing place, again something odd, but the reviews are pretty good.

I guarantee that DH will be fixating on lutefisk. My position on that is "Lutefisk: Just Say No!" :eek: We've heard it is not actually eaten in Norway.

Once in Gerainger, what do you suggest? Olden? Terry, I did send an email to Anne about Bergen--will be anxious to hear back from her.

Now to go look at those stunning photos again. . .

I am so taken with the beauty of the photographs that you are sharing, and the information that is forthcoming. As I said in a previous post it is killing me not to share this with my DH but I will be sure and share all of it once Santa has given his presents this Christmas! Just learning what side the Seven Sisters is on during sail in is helpful. . .and although geography is not my strong suit, I can also figure out that it will be starboard on the sail out. So it sounds like we will see both the Sisters and the Suitor coming or going. Our cabin (7077 on the QE) is mid-ships, starboard, but its location gives it a bump out balcony. I loved the idea of sitting in a hot tub as we sail out! I guarantee that DH will be fixating on lutefisk. My position on that is "Lutefisk: Just Say No!" We've heard it is not actually eaten in Norway. Once in Gerainger, what do you suggest? Olden? Terry, I did send an email to Anne about Bergen--will be anxious to hear back from her. Now to go look at those stunning photos again.

Glad to hear that our posts have been helpful. Meg is a super expert on Norway. Below are a few more samples of visual "eye candy" to keep your excitement building. Including the fish drying examples from us being farther north in the Lofoten Islands. Lots of interesting things in this country.

For Gerainger, my top suggestion is to consider some ship tours that will take you "up country" to see more of the scenic and interesting areas above and at a little distance from the small fjord port.

Keep the good questions and comments rolling along.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,511 views.

Here are some of the many wooden racks for fish drying on these islands that we checked out during our drive south in the Lofoten Islands.:

LofotenFishDrying.jpg

At the end of our visit to Geiranger, our last fjord stop, here was this cute troll to whom our friend Sharon decided to give a little hug and big chin tickle.:

FjordHuggingTroll.jpg

From the higher hill areas of Bergen, here is the view of the rooftops and other harbor area places.:

BergenRoofTops2Ships.jpg

Along the Bergen harbor with many people in this plaza, this photo shows a tight angle of the wooden Hanseatic League merchant warehouses on the right and the Bergenhus Festning Castle and its mid 1500’s Rosenkrantz Tower.:

BergenCastleWarehouseAngle.jpg

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

As we did our tour of the Hanseatic merchants warehouses in Bergen, this is the view with in the background stone building is shown that was used to store records and valuables that would be safer from fire than if held in the wooden buildings.:

BergenStoneBldgs.jpg

Terry, I wanted you to know that Anne responded within a day of my email to her.

She presented the tours they feature on their website but also offered some ideas if we want to create our own tour and I have now responded with some thoughts about that: Wharf/Hanseatic walk, Funicular, the Medieval Fortress, and a "oil" tour, plus a pre-arranged lunch with local food.

Because we have a lot of time, I'm hoping that eventually my roll call will generate some replies and maybe I can come up with a small tour group.

Anne herself may not be able to do the tour as she says she has some university tests at that time. But she promises to find someone who we will like.

When you toured with her, were you ever concerned about making it back to the ship on time? Was it a relaxing, informative experience? I only ask that because on our private tour to Pompeii, the guide got so frustrated with us because our group (6 people) kept wanting to stop and take photos and she wanted to keep moving. She actually said, "You aren't even interested in the history, you just want to take pictures."

I am unsure when the QE arrives in Bergen and when she departs so can't really commit with Anne to a half day or a full day tour.

But I really appreciate you sending me her email and the website!

Terry, I wanted you to know that Anne responded within a day of my email to her. She presented the tours they feature on their website but also offered some ideas if we want to create our own tour and I have now responded with some thoughts about that: Wharf/Hanseatic walk, Funicular, the Medieval Fortress, and a "oil" tour, plus a pre-arranged lunch with local food. Because we have a lot of time, I'm hoping that eventually my roll call will generate some replies and maybe I can come up with a small tour group. Anne herself may not be able to do the tour as she says she has some university tests at that time. But she promises to find someone who we will like. When you toured with her, were you ever concerned about making it back to the ship on time? Was it a relaxing, informative experience? I only ask that because on our private tour to Pompeii, the guide got so frustrated with us because our group (6 people) kept wanting to stop and take photos and she wanted to keep moving. She actually said, "You aren't even interested in the history, you just want to take pictures." I am unsure when the QE arrives in Bergen and when she departs so can't really commit with Anne to a half day or a full day tour. But I really appreciate you sending me her email and the website!

Hi, again, Sparkle! Quick bottom-line . . . don't worry!!! Bergen is vastly different than the massive and confusing Naples area. You'll be back at your ship in plenty of time. Bergen is fairly compact and those in Norway understand schedules, doing things right, etc. Second, from experience, Anne is very solid and flexible to make things work for you. Did you mention to her that I suggested contacting her?

She'll be creative and able to make things fit your needs, interests, etc. Yes, things were very relaxed and super informative. As we traveled and moved between places, I asked lots of questions and she was excellent in helping give me and us a better picture for life in Norway, its unique history, their economy, etc., etc. Keep working with her and she'll treat you well. Let us know how things are coming together. Love Bergen so much.

KEY TIP: Consider your various options and have a Plan A and Plan B. We had great weather, but that doesn't happen in such a wonderful way every day, every hour. Just being realistic, not negative. You might need to adjust things as you know the weather situation for that day. Fortunately, there are lots of good options in this city. That's also why doing custom, private tours allow that flexibility to adjust, make things more personal.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,555 views.

This is a great quote and one to remember, thanks, kaisatsu! Norwegians actually have a saying that "There's no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing." What brought you to Norway to live?

Okay, Terry, kaisatsu, and the others: Of the four ports are there any other "must sees" that really stay with you, that tell part of the story of Norway, or are otherwise compelling?

I've seen some mention of the petroleum museum. That's one that would be at the bottom of my list except for the fact that North Dakota is now #2 in the U.S. in oil production, surpassing Alaska. And sometimes when we are at the airport, we'll see people from Norway who are visiting the Bakken oil fields to consider investing in them. So that museum may be of interest. Also saw a sardine packing place, again something odd, but the reviews are pretty good.

I guarantee that DH will be fixating on lutefisk. My position on that is "Lutefisk: Just Say No!" :eek: We've heard it is not actually eaten in Norway.

Once in Gerainger, what do you suggest? Olden?

I guess oil brought me to Norway. I'm a computer programmer, but I work in the industry. I was living in Beijing for a while and when I decided it was time for a change, there was an opening here, so that's where I went!

As for must-sees, I can't really name any in Stavanger. The oil museum is interesting, but it's focused primarily on North Sea offshore fields, so aside from the basic geology there wouldn't be a lot that would translate to North Dakota. If the ship isn't sailing into Lysefjord, you might consider a boat cruise through the fjord, since it's rockier and a bit different than the scenery around Olden and Geiranger. In Bergen, the Bryggen waterfront is hands-down a must-see. I haven't been to Olden, so no comment. :)

In Geiranger, I always recommend getting up into the hills to get a different view of the fjord. The scenery is dramatically different from above than it is from the water level. Since it sounds like hiking is out (my favorite Geiranger activity and a true piece of Norwegian culture), I would look into bus trips either through the cruiseline or a private company. A few of the popular viewpoints are the Eagle Road and Flydalsjuvet.

As for lutefisk, don't worry too much! It's traditionally a Christmas food, so I've never seen any place serve it other times of the year. And it's true that most Norwegians tend to choose other Christmas dishes instead (even Smalahove seems to be more popular and is indeed tastier).

Terry, yes, I did tell Anne that you gave me her email and website info and that you highly recommended her. :) She hasn't responded again yet but I am confident that with her help we can create a perfect daylong itinerary in Bergen. Thank you for sharing her contact info and for telling me why you recommend her. We are "questioners", we want to know stuff, so a guide or tour that allows for that is good.

And I won't worry, I promise. We'll deal with whatever weather comes our way and will have Plan A and Plan B.

Kaisatsu, That's interesting about oil bringing you to Norway. Once my husband knows he's going on this trip I'll find out if he is interested in seeing stuff related to the North Sea offshore oilfields. My guess is he will be, even though that is a different situation from what we have in the Bakken.

Lutefisk is a common Christmas dinner dish here; my husband's family members all prepare it in their homes. I do not. We have turkey and ham. There are numerous "lutefisk" dinners at area churches where these people of Norwegian heritage gather and wait for hours (I'm not kidding) for their number to be called so they can go eat what I describe as "fish flavored Jello". I think I'll skip the thing you mentioned after looking at the recipe.

Every day I get out my yoga mat and do PT because we, too, like to walk and hike. Maybe if I keep at it, hiking the hills will be possible when we are there. I do see on the shore excursions lists that many Shore X involve hiking.

Another question: What is the currency in Norway? It's not the Euro, is it the Kroner? Should we exchange $ before we go?

Terry, yes, I did tell Anne that you gave me her email and website info and that you highly recommended her. :) She hasn't responded again yet but I am confident that with her help we can create a perfect daylong itinerary in Bergen. Thank you for sharing her contact info and for telling me why you recommend her. We are "questioners", we want to know stuff, so a guide or tour that allows for that is good. And I won't worry, I promise. We'll deal with whatever weather comes our way and will have Plan A and Plan B.

Another question: What is the currency in Norway? It's not the Euro, is it the Kroner? Should we exchange $ before we go?

Hi, Sparkle! Glad you're progressing along. I did communicate briefly with Anne earlier this week at her address of:

Anne@bergenguideservice.no

Heard back from her fairly quick. She's working with Mrs. Linda O., but she wasn't aware of anyone under "Sparkle". Wasn't sure on your first name. Don't want to mention any last names on these boards for privacy reasons.

Anne gave me an update on their good economy in Norway (only 2.5% unemployment rate), plus other developments there. Norway is doing much better, thanks to the oil, than other places in Europe. Keep planning and let me know any added questions or needs.

CURRENCY: Yes, it is the Norway Krone. I'd wait until I get there and use an ATM. In many cases, you might not need that much local currency, depend on if you are eating at places taking credit cards, not using public transit much, etc. Right now one dollar equals 5.7384 of Norwegian Krone per this afternoon's Wall Street Journal data.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,668 views.

Sparkle56

We went to all your ports of call last June on a Fred Olsen cruise. We did our own thing in all the ports of call and I have limited mobility, but took a manual wheelchair.

In Bergen we had torrential rain and it was very windy so we decided to do the HOHO bus. We didn't go on the funicular because it was impossible to see anything and the cable car was closed due to the weather. By all accounts it is best to buy the funicular tickets at the tourist office on the quayside, that way you avoid the queues.

In Stavanger we also did the HOHO bus, but the ship docked within the town.

In Olden we did the mini train. I can't remember the price, but as already stated it departs from right in front of the ship. My partner walked back into the town afterwards and took some good photos. We had a beautiful sunny day whilst there.

The scenery whilst cruising the fjords is spectacular and it doesn't get dark until about 01.30. Apart from in Bergen we had pretty good weather, but it wasn't hot. It was around 15C on average, so yes, take layers and waterproofs.

BTW the HOHO buses acccept CC, although we did have some Norwegian Krone. It didn't last very long as it is so expensive, one of the most expensive ountries in Europe.

We loved it and hope to do a cruise to the Arctic Circle.

If you ever do get forced into eating lutefisk again, the secret is in the toppings. The one time I tried it, a Norwegian friend encouraged me to order it with extra bacon and white sauce. With each piece smothered in bacon and white sauce, it ended up tasting like... bacon and white sauce. Still not something I would order again willingly! Let alone wait hours for! :eek:

A note about the hiking is that the trails are a tiny bit difficult. The hike from Vesterås Farm to the nearby overlook is relatively flat and easy, but the trail up to Vesterås and on to Storseter waterfall are both considered "moderate" by Norwegian standards. This means a fairly steady climb, and a lot of rocks. It's not too difficult if you go slow and bring a walking stick, but it's not a smooth straightforward trail like I'm used to in the state parks back home. (It also tends to be muddy in places, so choose appropriate footwear.) [For reference, this is the hiking map that's also available for around 20 NOK from the tourist office.]

The currency is the Norwegian kroner (different from the Swedish and Danish versions), but most places take credit cards, especially in tourist areas. Locals tend to use their chip-and-pin debit cards for every little purchase, but most places can handle US credit cards. ATMs are widely available as well. If your cards charge you hefty service fees for foreign transactions, then you might want to consider getting some cash ahead of time. Right now (according to the widget on my computer desktop) the exchange rate is around 5.75 NOK to 1 USD. This is about average, but the rate is on a downward trend. Surprisingly, it fluctuates quite a bit, so I would expect it to trend back up at some point before your trip. It usually wavers between 5.2 and 6 NOK/USD, so a really good rate (for you, but not for me ;) ) is up around 6. A bad rate would be anything under 5.5. So if you see the rate go up to 6, you might want to pick up some cash for the trip!

So much good stuff in the recent posts!

Terry, I am Linda O. Thanks for contacting Anne yourself and making that connection--still waiting to hear back from her again. I'll let you know as that situation develops; it will be fun to hear what you think.

LondonTowner, I'm going to check and see the HOHO bus prices and locations in each of those places. Are you from London? Because if you are then I have a lot of questions for that aspect of our trip (2 days before the cruise, 1 after, never have been there before).

Kaisatsu, My husband always says lutefisk is just like lobster. I say the only similarity is the butter--lobster doesn't make me gag. So your description of the white sauce and bacon made me laugh! I go to at least one of those dinners each year (against my wishes) but they also have Swedish meatballs and lefse so there is some redemption in that. As previously mentioned, lutefisk is not a recipe I will prepare, but I do make a very good lefse! Not bad for a woman whose heritage is Scottish!

Perhaps I already stated this but I do travel with a walking stick (at this time). It's beautiful and lightweight. I would need to find out if Customs would allow me into the UK with it and if there would be any problems with Cunard or customs in Norway.

The info that a couple of you provided about currency was also helpful. I'm traveling to Florida (9th time in as many months) this next week and my connecting airport has currency exchange locations. I might just stop by, get some Norwegian kroner, and put it in someone's Christmas stocking. :)

So much good stuff in the recent posts!

Terry, I am Linda O. Thanks for contacting Anne yourself and making that connection--still waiting to hear back from her again. I'll let you know as that situation develops; it will be fun to hear what you think.

The info that a couple of you provided about currency was also helpful. I'm traveling to Florida (9th time in as many months) this next week and my connecting airport has currency exchange locations. I might just stop by, get some Norwegian kroner, and put it in someone's Christmas stocking. :)

Appreciate, Linda, the updated info. Just a fiscal caution!!! At airports, those places there that do such "currency exchange" are very, very costly. Their "exchange rates" are very steep and one-sided. Buyer beware! It would be a cute surprise (if they have that currency getting low demand within the USA), but don't expect a very good value there.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,720 views.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived