Help with Car Rental Itinerary for Halifax

itsanita

We are planing on renting a car In Halifax. Would you comment on if you think our itinerary is doable? We are in port for 9 1/2 hours, so I figure we have around 7 hours for our drive.

We plan to take 103 straight to Lunenburg (that's the fastest route, correct?)...spend some time there.

Then drive to Mahone Bay...Chester. Maybe have lunch somewhere around here (any suggestions?).

We would then drive to Peggy's Cove, thinking if we do it towards the end of our day it won't be so crowded. Then back to Halifax via hwy 333, maybe stopping in Whites Lake?

What do you think? Other suggestions?

thanks for any help you can give us.

Figure about 4 hours of driving total...doesn't leave much time for touring?

yes 103 would be the main highway...

Drive to Lunenburg.. about 1.5 hours spend 2 hours looking around.

Drive to Chester..about .5 hour, spend 2 hours looking around and having lunch.

Drive to Peggy's Cove...about 1 hour...spend 1 hour watching waves and climbing on rocks...visiting stores

Drive to Halifax...about 1 hour

total time..9 hours....

I would spend an extra hour in lunenburg and have lunch there and skip the stop in Chester. If you are just planning to 'drive through'..times would be shorter.

Others may have other opinions....

Just wondering what day and how many other shups in?

An alternative is to do other way around then you would know how long you have for lunch and touring in Lunenburg. Chester is pretty much a drive through although you could stop in the town for coffee some great spots the same with Mahone Bay ( Check Angies Trip reports on TA http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k5749212-A_Maritime_Adventure_Part_2-Nova_Scotia.html)

You may want to saunter in the main shopping area of Mahone Bay then on to Lunenburg- Magnolia's is THE Place for lunch!!!!

We are there on a Tuesday (oct 9th). Not sure how many other ships are in port.

Is Magnolia's in Lunenburg? There seem to be a few different 'routes' that we can take, maybe we need to skip something, as you suggest. Just do a drive thru some of the areas, as suggested.

You will be just fine. There is less traffic this time of year. I like your plan of going on the fast road to Lunenburg and then slowly making your way back. However, I would probably not take the route back via White's Lake which is mostly inland. You would be quicker to go back from Peggy's Cove to the main highway and get back into Halifax.

Magnolia's is in Lunenburg and is a great place for lunch. I have not stopped for lunch in Mahone Bay for many years but there are places there.

I would avoid the souvenir shop at Peggy's Cove, but that is just me. Going to Peggy's later in the day is a good idea.

You need to allow time for returning your car in Halifax, and allow at least an hour and a half for the drive back. At least you will be going against rush hour traffic. The 103 highway is quite busy with commuters who work in Halifax.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Pier+21+Operations,&daddr=Lunenburg,+NS+to:Mahone+Bay,+NS+to:Chester,+NS+to:Peggys+Cove,+NS+to:44.58568,-63.91491+to:Pier+21+Operations,+Marginal+Road,+Halifax,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.5439,-63.99351&sspn=0.496232,1.352692&geocode=FTogqQIdEhI2_CFVp72x1xDZPykRcw6ozCNaSzFVp72x1xDZPw%3BFa0jpQIdjZIq_ClD0a4gwVtXSzHrTTCtT3o5Vg%3BFcI9pgIdPJsp_Cn7Y_qvyl9XSzGf5BZFz_TFyg%3BFbu4pwId7sIr_CljW-fuz-ZZSzF4stzvBqZ0QQ%3BFcnnpgIdIrIw_CnlsFTY6QJaSzFmhYBMEgaDaw%3BFdBSqAIdYrww_CkTQOHIM_FZSzG5pR_xxXTn5A%3BFTogqQIdEhI2_CFVp72x1xDZPykRcw6ozCNaSzFVp72x1xDZPw&oq=halifax,+pie&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=10&via=5&t=m&z=10

This second map shows a longer route around St. Margaret's Bay. You likely won't have time for this. https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Pier+21+Operations,&daddr=Lunenburg,+NS+to:Mahone+Bay,+NS+to:Chester,+NS+to:44.49501,-64.07673+to:Peggys+Cove,+NS+to:44.58568,-63.91491+to:Pier+21+Operations,+Marginal+Road,+Halifax,+NS&hl=en&sll=44.5439,-63.99351&sspn=0.496232,1.352692&geocode=FTogqQIdEhI2_CFVp72x1xDZPykRcw6ozCNaSzFVp72x1xDZPw%3BFa0jpQIdjZIq_ClD0a4gwVtXSzHrTTCtT3o5Vg%3BFcI9pgIdPJsp_Cn7Y_qvyl9XSzGf5BZFz_TFyg%3BFbu4pwId7sIr_CljW-fuz-ZZSzF4stzvBqZ0QQ%3BFaLwpgIdRkQu_Cnz00w-YPtZSzG98UXlHMZIRA%3BFcnnpgIdIrIw_CnlsFTY6QJaSzFmhYBMEgaDaw%3BFdBSqAIdYrww_CkTQOHIM_FZSzG5pR_xxXTn5A%3BFTogqQIdEhI2_CFVp72x1xDZPykRcw6ozCNaSzFVp72x1xDZPw&oq=halifax,+pie&mra=dpe&mrsp=4&sz=10&via=4,6&t=m&z=10

We are there on a Tuesday (oct 9th). Not sure how many other ships are in port.

Is Magnolia's in Lunenburg? There seem to be a few different 'routes' that we can take, maybe we need to skip something, as you suggest. Just do a drive thru some of the areas, as suggested.

Oct 9th -2 others one arrives 7am,9am and 10am AST if you are one of the early ones you could get ahead of the buses at Peggy's. I agree with Maryann unless you are visiting someone take 103 from Tantallon into Halifax.

Magnolia's is in Lunenburg but there are some great reviews for Mateus Bistro in Mahone Bay, Chester Basin there is great rustic spot super food Sea Shanty .

Whatever you decide hope you have great visit.

We are in Halifax ourselves on the 9th so was very interested in your question. We do not get in until 10 and leave at 7 so don't have as much time as you. There are four of us and at first were going to hire a taxi for 4 hours but am now considering renting a car as it is much cheaper. We want to see Lunnenberg, Peggy's cove and see the Titanic museum. I also wanted to look around Halifax. I too worry that perhaps we should not try to drive all the way to Lunnenberg. Would appreciate hearing others thoughts.

If you have not been to Halifax and/or Peggy's Cove before, you would be better off going there. You could easily just spend your time in Halifax.

Take the Harbour Hopper tour for an overview, walk along the harbourfront (lots to see), go to the Fortress on Citadel Hill, walk around the Public Gardens, go to the Maritime Museum (includes artifacts from the Titanic), visit a brewery, visit some of our many pubs, etc.

I can't thank you enough for your advise.

So if we went straight to Lunenburg via 103, then to Mahone Bay, skipped Chester, and went back to Halifax via 103 instead of going thru Whites Lake (i think that is by way of hwy 102), we will cut down on some travel time and maybe have some time to spend in Halifax itself. Am I understanding this correctly?

I can't thank you enough for your advise.

So if we went straight to Lunenburg via 103, then to Mahone Bay, skipped Chester, and went back to Halifax via 103 instead of going thru Whites Lake (i think that is by way of hwy 102), we will cut down on some travel time and maybe have some time to spend in Halifax itself. Am I understanding this correctly?

I think the suggestion was just to skip White's Lake part take the shore rd through Mahone Bay, Chester then on to Peggy's Cove and then back to Tantallon to pick up the 103 . You were looking at travelling the 333 to Peggy's and doing the loop through Dover, White's Lake etc which is a little slower.

If you don't spend alot of time in the towns you would have plenty of time to view some sights in Halifax. Hope that helps.

If you have not been to Halifax and/or Peggy's Cove before, you would be better off going there. You could easily just spend your time in Halifax.

Take the Harbour Hopper tour for an overview, walk along the harbourfront (lots to see), go to the Fortress on Citadel Hill, walk around the Public Gardens, go to the Maritime Museum (includes artifacts from the Titanic), visit a brewery, visit some of our many pubs, etc.

I am now inclined to go with just sticking with Halifax. There appears to be enough to keep us going for the day. Thanks for the information.

One more quick question. I googled mapped both routes from Peggy's Cove back to Halifax. Going back 333 towards Tantallon vs going on 333 (Prospect RD) to Halifax seem to be about the same distance and according to Google, take the same amount of time. But my understanding from you all is that going towards Tantallon would take less time? Just want to confirm, so if we are getting short of time we can make the correct decision.

thanks again for your help.

One more quick question. I googled mapped both routes from Peggy's Cove back to Halifax. Going back 333 towards Tantallon vs going on 333 (Prospect RD) to Halifax seem to be about the same distance and according to Google, take the same amount of time. But my understanding from you all is that going towards Tantallon would take less time? Just want to confirm, so if we are getting short of time we can make the correct decision.

thanks again for your help.

The Tantallon route is quicker as you pick up highway 103, the other slow and windy all the way in. My theory is Google measures the time by mileage and speed limit but not factoring slow drivers , school buses etc etc Hope that helps.

The Tantallon route is quicker as you pick up highway 103, the other slow and windy all the way in. My theory is Google measures the time by mileage and speed limit but not factoring slow drivers , school buses etc etc Hope that helps.

It sure does. thanks so much for all your help. Looking forward to enjoying our drive.

• 1 month later...

What is in Lunneburg?--sounds like a neat town--

We have been to Halifax and Peggys Cove many time and looking for something else to do--

is there any tours at port going to Lunneburg?

FRANK

Archived