Naples on your own or with a tour?

nzdisneymom

I have not found free wi-fi in Naples, so I use an internet cafe off of Via Toledo. It's pretty cheap, about 4 Euro for an hour. When we were there in March this year our oldest tried, without success, to connect to the wi-fi at the McDonald's near the port. You had to buy something and the code for the wi-fi was printed on your receipt, but even with that he was unable to connect.

Thanks for the info - we would've been trying at McDonald's.

I wouldn't necessarily give up on it, it may have been his phone.

We'll be working with older version iPod Touches and Kindle Fires :) In London, there was a McD's across the street from our hotel, so I'd go over there as the hotel charged $15/night for internet access (wired or wireless) - until another guest whispered to me that the hotel bar had free wifi - you just had to be in the bar area to pick it up. I found some steps to sit on near the bar area that turned out to be a great place to get online :)

In Norway, I found free wifi in the cafe at one of the museums we were touring. One of the boys had been running around on the ship so much, up and down stairs, and his legs were hurting, so while the other boy and DH finished exploring the museum, I waited with him at the cafe and just happened to check :)

• 6 months later...
A good place to find sfogliatelle (plural, assuming you'll have more than one) is in the Galleria, a shopping arcade across the street from the San Carlo opera house (less than a half mile walk from the cruise port). The shop is called Mary's, and it's right at the Via Toledo entrance to the Galleria (the Galleria is like a big cross, with four entrances).

Pictures that will help you locate Sfogliatella Mary can be found here: http://www.amoitaly.com/napoli/sfogliatella_mary.html

As we're getting more into the nitty-gritty planning as our cruise is approaching, I h ave discovered that Sfogliatella Mary is closed on Mondays - which is the day we'll be in Naples! Figures.

Yes, it is closed on Mondays. I just noticed that when we walked by a couple of weeks ago.

Not to fear, there are lots of good places for sfogliatelle within a block or so of Mary's.

Right in Piazza Trieste e Trento there is Cafe Gambrinus, where you can get coffee with your sfogliatelle and you can sit down if you want.

There's another take away place, like Mary's only smaller, diagonally across the piazza from Gambrinus (near the newsstand) if you're on the run.

Yes, it is closed on Mondays. I just noticed that when we walked by a couple of weeks ago.

Not to fear, there are lots of good places for sfogliatelle within a block or so of Mary's.

Right in Piazza Trieste e Trento there is Cafe Gambrinus, where you can get coffee with your sfogliatelle and you can sit down if you want.

There's another take away place, like Mary's only smaller, diagonally across the piazza from Gambrinus (near the newsstand) if you're on the run.

Euro Cruiser, thanks for this. I thought there might be other places nearby so we will plot these n our route. We have some fellow cruisers who are on our morning excursion to Pompeii and once we are back, we are planning to go have pizza but I also wanted us to try the sfogliatelle. I remembered Mary's was to be relatively close to port.

Archived