Should Cruise Ships Stop Sailing Into Venice?

Should cruise ships STOP sailing into Venice?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should cruise ships STOP sailing into Venice?

• YES, all ships should stop sailing into Venice.
    • YES, large ships should stop sailing, BUT smaller ships should be allowed.
    • NO, all cruise ships should continue sailing into Venice.

I know Berwyn has brought this up on another thread, and mentioned an article that BBC News had the other day regarding the sail into Venice. Link to it below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19415485

Also read today that people have begun protesting when the ships are leaving port and causing delays to them going:

http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/3068/20120917/cruise-protestors-delay-departure-ships-venice-msc-opera-musica-piazza-san-marco-sophia-loren-italy-cruise-ships-costa-concordia-no-grandi-navi-costa-fascinosa.htm

I think many who have sailed in and out of Venice would agree that it is one of the highlights of cruising and is spectacular to do. But, if it is having a large impact on Venice, do you think that it should be stopped and ships shouldn't sail into Venice? I suppose an option would be to build a port outside of Venice and then sail there and travel in by different transport. Another option would be to only allow ships of a certain size sail in, as some ships now that are over 100,000 tonnes do seem much too big to be sailing into Venice. Of course, those defending it say that they have done extensive research and have found that cruise ships have no impact on Venice at all.

What do you think? Vote on the poll above. Should cruise ships STOP sailing into Venice?

The sail in and sail away are both part of the Venice experience IMO and docking miles away on the mainland would make it a less attractive destination for many. The locals should be careful they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

if large ships are a problem have a weight/size limit.

Wish you had put an abstain choice Sailaway :).

If I read it right the ships are causing no damage to the structure of Venice . Most locals say it has brought wealth to the city,

30,000 tourists a day spending money and creating over 3000 jobs as well as docking and port services bringing in £119,000 per ship.

If my vote really counted for real on this subject ,would I be doing the city any favours by banning the big ships ?

I would say no as if the demand is there, then it could well be that all would happen is the smaller cruise ships would replace the bigger

ones but with an increase of traffic and even more smaller ships than now would pass through Venice .

So I would not be voting for the smaller ships either .

I would not ban all ships either for the very same reasons as above .

I know it would not be nice filming your beloved on a bridge in Venice and in the background is lurking some giant costa ship.

Its a bit like the coach ride to the pyramids , they look great miles away,when you arrive and walk round them you find Mcdonalds sat

very nearby, enough to spoil the setting .

It's the curse of tourisim, just the same with the ships really in Venice causing maybe nothing more but pollution to your eyes .

So at very worst maybe the ships should be regulated ,but at what cost to the city , maybe the residents should be the main voice in

Venice's future and not just a few who say "they do not like any cruise ships" .

If I thought it was harming the buildings and waterways I would have voted stop them all but it has been checked and the wash from

the ships is no worse than a mild tide they get most days .

So I think the jurys still out on this one :confused:.

Venice is a PORT- sea traffic is essential to life there, and cruise ships=tourists=revenue to maintain the city and its beautiful buildings. But there is very strong feeling that didn't seem to be there until the ships became so big. So on the basis of "no smoke without fire" I've voted for banning the larger ships.

(Also in the hope they stop making the ships so big because I prefer smaller ones!!)

kate

Archived