Mariner Steam Train in Skagway

We're sailing on the Mariner SB on June 8. :p I saw mention of a White Pass & Yukon Railroad run on a steam train and contacted the RR as to what this was as it is not listed on their web site. The answer is it's a special run for Mariner passengers. I believe they will be using staem engine #69 which is being put in service for the first time. I dates back a centruy,but has been bought and sold several times and recently bought back and refurbished.

• 3 weeks later...

The original poster is correct regarding what they were told: the steam train behind engine #73 is a Radisson exclusive (HA Volendaam and a smaller ship were in port at the same time, but the steam train serviced only the Mariner). We were on that trip just last week as the Mariner was repositioned onto the Alaska run. The steam train runs in the afternoon (there are diesel powered trains in both the morning and afternoon), and is brought right to the Mariner's dock. We had just 5 cars (though, actually, #73 is only rated for 6 cars to the summit in order to maintain speed). Train makes the round-trip to Frazier (7 miles beyond White Pass) and it took about 4 hours overall (longer than the diesel trains and longer than stated on the excursion form)...don't plan on doing any shopping after you return (about 30 minutes before "All Aboard"). If you are a train buff, this is a must. If you are just interested in the scenary from the train (spectacular) then save the money and ride the diesel train...the passenger cars on each are identical.

Portolan

Thanks for the update. I just arrived in Fairbanks by Alaska Railroad from Denali. I was unable to book their new gold service because I'm with the group but,being a railfan,was able to cajole myself into being allowed to check out one of the two new cars they just got from Colorado Railcar. It is supposed to compete with the fancy cars used by the cruise lines and it really does. One major difference is the outside platform. Where the others have it between cars,this one has it up top ourtside the observation level. The whole car is very elegant and has a special level of service. The lower level dining car is much more elegant than the other diner and is open to anyone after all the gold level passengers have been taken.

Archived