September Alaska Cruise

tgcassidy

We did the last cruise on the Star in 2010. It was fine and we loved it! It was a bit on the rainy side, but that's Alaska. We will definately do it again!

One thing to note, some of the shops may be closed. Most were having great sales!

Also, depending where you go, it may be iced up. We were lucky, but have heard it starts getting icy and may block you getting up Tracy Arm.

Has anyone cruised to Alaska in September. I noticed the price for the last two Alaska cruises drops in September. Is it worth going to Alaska in September?

May and September are the "shoulder months" for the Alaska season and generally have lower prices. Have done both months. Yes, it is still worth it. I always say, "go when you can". An Alaska cruise should not be missed.

We've gone twice in May, and the first couple of cruises are also less expensive. The best thing for us is that it's daylight much longer, and you can sit out on your balcony and enjoy the passing scenery until about 10:00 p.m.* We will always cruise to Alaska in May (and believe me, we will be going again).

* We stayed in Anchorage one night, and I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and looked out the window. It looked the same as it does at home at 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. Really cool.

I agree that anytime is a good time to visit Alaska and weather is always a crap shoot - there is always the risk of clouds, fog, and rain. If you are planning a one way cruise with a land tour - the fall offers you the chance to see the leaves turn in the interior - lots of yellow mixed in with the evergreens. On the other hand the spring and summer offer greater chances to see the Northern lights.

You also runs more risk of having excursions either closed or snowed out. The same is true in the springtime as you must wait for the big melt. This is why the cruises are slightly cheaper in May and September. As for the tourist traps, some close early, some wait until the last ship sails. I know that both the Jewel and Pearl are on their last trips right now - and checking their webcams both are in heavy fog - the Jewel is in Juneau and the Pearl is heading there this afternoon. BTW we also had fog on our approach to Juneau in late June.

Wildlife also has it's seasons Whales migrate, salmon return to spawn, bears hibernate and also feed during salmon season.

So, you need to decide if the time you want to go agrees with what you want to see and do - or simply plan on taking at least three AK cruises :D

Has anyone cruised to Alaska in September. I noticed the price for the last two Alaska cruises drops in September. Is it worth going to Alaska in September?

We were on the Pearl for the last sailing of the season in 2011. We chose this particular time for a number of reasons;

• fewer kids on board as school is back in session
  • easier to schedule vacation time at work
  • our wedding anniversary
  • lower price
  • and my DW's favorite... Clearance Sales! Some stores (in Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan) were cutting prices by as much as 50% and more.

Granted, the weather could have been better, but we were prepared for the worst. However, the skies did clear while we sailed Glacier Bay. The ship never felt crowded and the staff was fantastic. We're contemplating another trip to Alaska and we're definitely considering the last sailing of the season.

Here's a link to my review;

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=89510

First, I have never done an Alaska cruise, but I've been to Alaska a couple of times, even spent an entire "summer" there May-September. I agree with all of the posts above, the daylight hours are getting shorter, it will be colder, and some things may be closed while the rest will be in the process of closing. But, if going in September was my only option, I would absolutely do it.

Honestly, Alaska's weather can be horrid for weeks at a time during the best months, so it's a risk no matter when you go. My dad has been a couple of times (during different months) also for a total of about 3 combined weeks... he has only seen Mt McKinley once, and only partially when the clouds broke for a few hours. Then my grandmother came up the middle of September and the weather was glorious all week long... no clouds, beautifully sunny, and moderately warm considering. We even saw the northern lights during her stay.

Sorry for such a long reply, I just think that people going to Alaska should be prepared for bad weather no matter what time of year, LOL!

Archived