Setting up a Cash Account for a minor

sarahleebones

So is this how I would do it?

1. Set up our daughter under our account as not able to charge (as we are linked to our cc)

2. Let them know when we check in that we would like to set up a cash account for her and hand over some cash

I don't want to tie her to our CC but I want her to learn the importance of budgeting.

So is this how I would do it?

1. Set up our daughter under our account as not able to charge (as we are linked to our cc)

2. Let them know when we check in that we would like to set up a cash account for her and hand over some cash

I don't want to tie her to our CC but I want her to learn the importance of budgeting.

I just recently took my 15yo granddaughter on a cruise, I went to guest services and said I wanted to put $$ on her account, I put $100 which was actually added to my account ( I used cash for me) she could use her card to purchase things or use the games in the arcade, she would not be able to exceed that $100 even though the $$ was actually in my account.

By the way, she only spent about $40 on the ship during the whole 7 days, she also had $100 to spend in the ports and came home with $22.

I have a 14 yr old daughter and this will be her fifth cruise. We have never put a limit on her card(much to the surprise of the ladies at check in). She gets a soda card and never goes to the arcade. I think the most she ever spent was around $20. The only thing she ever buys is candy at the candy shop. She is not a spender, so I don't worry about it.

you could put a cap on her card but if she goes over you are still responsible since she is a minor

She couldn't go over.

We did this on the Magic and it worked...we had 6 kids in 3 rooms in our group! The confusing thing was the way they showed it on the tv. They go through all the cash first then start on your cc. They still don't let your child go over the limit but honestly we had to stop looking at the tv total because we couldn't follow the logic. In the end it was fine.

I did our check in this morning. Our DSs will be in a cabin across the hall from us. When it asked if I wanted them to have charging privilages, I checked yes. So when we get onboard, we go to guest services to put the daily cap on there? They have never had signing privilages before, so we need the cap.

We put $100 on each of our boys' S&S cards for them to use for the whole 7 days. Told them whatever was left they would get to keep, but since we sailed with friends whose kids played in the arcade constantly, our boys spent most of their money there. But they did manage to ration it out to last the trip and were always checking their balance.

Good planning! A few years ago, on one of our cruises, our boys were 6 and 10. Everyday I noticed more and more stuff in our rooms, bags from the shops, etc. I finally asked my wife, what is all this? She said, I don't know, I thought it was yours! Well, we asked the boys, and they said, 'yea, we got gifts for grandma and grandpa. Cups, pens, shirts, they're free!" I said, what do you mean they're free? They said, 'if you go to the store, you get your stuff and just give them your ROOM card and they give it to you!" OMG!

We laughed later and grandma and grandpa really enjoyed their gifts! :)

If there is a cap on it she couldnt go over, it won't let her charge more than her cap.

my one son did and although the argument is there was a set amount on that card I was told he is still a minor - i am responsible.

wasnt much though but still.

It takes up to 24 hours for a charge to register- it is not right away. so if she goes into a store and charges--- and an hour later charges some more. and hour later goes to see how much is still on the card-- not thinking about those two purchases-- yes it is possible

Archived