Cabin Question

kellybunny

:rolleyes: This will be our first time on a cruise. We wanted to know if the Verandah Suites are noisy on the navigation deck? We are located in A 7070 (Zandaam). Also, I heard the higher the deck, the more motion you get. Is this true? Should we bring a patch just in case? Can anyone tell me if the Verandah Suites are cramped or large? Any extra info is appreciated. Thanks.

"cramped" and "large" are so relative. THe 6' X 8' cabin we had a a canal barge was definitely cramped. The 500 sq ft S suite we had on the Oosterdam was very large. A Cat A or B Verandah cabin is approx. 200 sq. ft and is fine for two, especially in Alaska where there's little need to retreat to your cabin.

You'll be under the outside of the aft pool, but I doubt that will be used much in Alaska so the noise should be minimal and should be confined to mid-afternoon. Not really a problem

Also, I heard the higher the deck, the more motion you get. Is this true?

Generally speaking, yes.

It's all physics .... think of the ship as an inverted pendulum.

When the hull sways in rough seas, the force is greater up on top.

That's why people who are prone to motion sickness always book the lower decks, and in the middle.

Rather than a patch, pick up some Bonine at the drug store. Some people have a reaction to the patch. You can also get some sea sick pills from the Front Desk or the Infirmary on the ship. They are FREE! :)

As you will be sailing the Inner passage in Alaska, you probably won't encounter rough seas, but then again, there's always the chance that you will.

We have never found the A cat cabins (which you are in) cramped. We always take either an A or a B (difference is location). To view the cabin, check HAL's web site http://www.hollandamerica.com, click on Fleet, Zaandam, Explore and scroll down to see a photo of the A verandah suites. Two of you will be fine in this suite.

Enjoy Alaska - it's wonderful.

New to HAL ships & booked on B2B Westerdam A Aft 518__.

From what I read, AFT A cabins have largest balconies, but are totally or partially uncovered. How much is covered/shaded?

Do any other A cabins have larger balconies??

From the diagrams it appears that the A balconies near forward elevators look larger than than those near rear elevators. Anyone please comment!!

What would be a good price or great deal for S cabin?

We were just in 7010 on the Navigation Deck and didn't notice any bothersome noises. We had some choppy seas for one evening, but I thought the ship rode very well. Where you really tend to feel the most motion (IMO) is in the show lounge which is all the way forward.

We spent 10 days in 7077 during Christmas on the Zaandam. One night we had 20 foot seas -- I can't deny that there was definite motion (our last night on board so the hangars in the empty closets kept swinging back and forth, etc) but she rode incredibly well, even that high up and that far aft for the size of the seas. We have been on many cruises, often on older ships without stabalization, or on sail boats in all sorts of seas, and this was more like moderate seas on a lower deck on the older ships.

You will love the Zaandam and you will love the Verandah suites -- 7077 was our first verandah suite and now we are hooked -- kind of hard to go back to just a window, and to a windowless space -- never!

Archived