Has anyone done the Med with teenagers?

Greetings:

We are thinking about doing the 6/28/06 12-night Med-Greek Isles on board Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas with our 18 year-old. He's been cruising since he was 4 years old; has been on 9 cruises (Alaska, Bermuda, Caribbean, and Mexico); and loves the "wow factor" and activities found on the Voyager-class ships. He's a typical urban street-wise young man from NYC who wants us to use his portion of the cost of the trip to buy him a car. My wife and I think the exposure to Europe will help to make him more of a well rounded person.

Does anyone have any experiences and/or suggestions with teens in the Med they would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have any experiences and/or suggestions with teens in the Med they would like to share?

I will be doing it in less than two months. I gave my two teens (17 and 14) a choice of destinations for my 50th birthday vacation. They could choose between Hawaii, Beaches (Negril, Jamaica), Southern Caribbean cruise or Med cruise. The both wanted the Med cruise because they want to see Europe. I haven't seen them this excited about a cruise and they have been cruising for 12 years.

We will be on the Grand Princess next month for a 12 night Med cruise with our 16 year old daughter, I will report back. She chose the itinerary over Asia, Alaska and Australia cruises for our big trip this year.

We are about to embark on our 3rd Med Cruise - Grand Princess - 25th July - Greek Isles itinerary. I have one 20 yr old and 3 teens 18yr, 13yr and 14yr. I think your son would love the trip to Europe. The only thing I would say is that it is very port intensive and 'some' youngsters (not all obviously) suffer from culture overload!! I would find a balance and not book full day tours throughout. Maybe incorporate some half day excursions.

Have to say the older two both chose an overseas expedition (Tallship adventure on the Soren Larsen around Fiji in 2002 and Namibia in 2004) instead of a down payment on a car. We gave them the choice... one or the other, but not both. Neither have any regrets about the decision they made. For them it was a one in a lifetime opportunity.

Laura

We've taken our kids on quite a few cruises...

When they were 15 and 17, we took them to the Baltic...

(We took them on a cruisetour to Alaska last July- at 18 and 20...we've also taken them to the Mexican Riviera several times, the Caribbean a coulple of times, Baja)

When we did the Mediterranean in 2003, we offered, but the older daughter decided to take a college course in Greece instead and the younger one didn't want to go without her sister...so we went by ourselves...

I guess our kids are a bit "spoiled"...they both have cars (a necessity here in California, although, the younger one's car is planted in our garage while she's at college in Davis - we figured she doesn't NEED a car there)...

But, I would never entertain the notion of "Let me spend the money on something I want instead"...You've offered the trip, he should take it and be grateful...I am sure you have other things you can spend the money on as well...

I have never regretted taking my kids travelling...

I grew up with parents who were "Children of the Depression" who had a lot of trouble spending money on anything so temporary as a vacation (Luckily for them, they have loosened up a bit in their old age), so the only family vacations we ever had were by car to go camping or to nearby San Francisco, San Diego or Denver when my dad had business trips to those places during a school vacation...

My kids, OTOH, have been on all of those cruises plus they've been to Maui, to Ixtapa, to Cancun, toured Britain and more...

Sure, they never get quite as much out of any of it as we might hope...but they DO get some educational value...and they get lasting memories...

Will an 18 year old love cruising Europe? I don't know...My kids just loved cruising...of course, while in the Baltic I kept getting the idea they would have preferred the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera where they could have snorkled, swam, water skiied and layed out on the beach and tanned...and, at times they seemed fed up and bored..."Not another church! Not another castle!"...But, in the end, I think they really enjoyed it and I thing they really got a lot out of it...

We did the Med on the Brilliance last year with our (then) 18 and 15 year olds. Both still talk about it and are rather pouty that we are not including them next year when we will be going back for our 25th. It amazes me how often THEY bring it up in conversation with other people, or reference something they may have seen. The experience is not to be missed. My DH and I felt that it was something that they may not realize until they are older the true value of what they saw, but they seemed to get it right away.

Having said that, the "social scene" on the ship was equally important, particularly to the 15 year old. He chose to stay out late with his friends (there were over 150 15-17 year olds on board!!!), and while rather groggy in the mornings, he kept up. Youth is a wonderful thing!

It is also a memory we will always have as a family, and I wouldn't trade that opportunity for the world. I'm sure once you're on your way, your son will be very glad he came. There is always time for a car, but the offer of a European cruise does not come along too often!

Good luck!

One thing I forgot to mention, though, is that we didn't "overload" them with all historical sites. For example, in Livorno we chose the Pisa/Italian Beach trip, and decided to forego Florence (hence the reason we are going back next year!). A couple of other places we chose to just walk around on our own. Didn't want to alarm them with too much knowledge!:D

jcanino

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with your teens when you return. I’m also happy to hear that your teens have never been this excited about a cruise. I’m sure, in time, my son will be just as excited. Have a great cruise. Thanks again.

sebasco

I can’t wait for your report about your experiences with your daughter. What tours have you planned? Have a great cruise. Thanks again.

ourlol

Thanks for the tip about culture overload. We’ll find a balance between full and half day excursions and even a day or two at the beach. What excursions have you planned? Thanks again and have a great cruise.

Bruin Steve

Thanks so much your practical tips on parenting.

I too “grew up with parents who were "Children of the Depression” so our family vacations consisted of the 14 hour, Trailways or Greyhound bus ride from Brooklyn, NY to grandma’s house in South Carolina. For our occasional day trips, we went to a State Park or the Danbury, Connecticut State Fair. Although our children are very fortunate, our early travel experiences built character and molded us into the people we are today. Your statement, “Sure, they never get quite as much out of any of it as we might hope...but they DO get some educational value...and they get lasting memories...” only underscores my point.

Thanks again for your suggestions on this thread and on other threads you’ve contributed to.

High C’s

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I’m glad to hear you and your children had such wonderful experiences.

Your very thoughtful words have placed it all in perspective, “It is also a memory we will always have as a family, and I wouldn't trade that opportunity for the world. I'm sure once you're on your way, your son will be very glad he came. There is always time for a car, but the offer of a European cruise does not come along too often!” I’m sure he will be glad he came.

BTW, congratulations on next year’s 25th!! Next year will our 24th. All the best.

thecruisechick

Thank you for your encouragement! Your point about making history come alive is really significant. I guess it’s like viewing someone else’s vacation pictures or videos—they’re nice, but there’s nothing like being there. Thanks again.

Hi Snackdaddy

We are spending 4 days in Rome pre-cruise and plan 1 full day tour and 2 half day tours, I booked a hotel with a pool for sunning and relaxation for teen daughter. The rest of the time will be shopping and just taking it all in.

We are going next to Monte Carlo and we are doing it on our own, we are going to hit the French Riviera to see what its all about.

Next day is Florence and we have gotten a private driver for the day to take us to Florence, then we are going to the Florence outlets to hit a couple of stores and off to Pisa. Our driver is getting us all of our tickets to Pisa and The Academia in Florence, he is charging us 240Euros and is picking us up at 7am for a full day.

Next day is Naples and we are doing the ships tour of Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri. We wanted to see it all and not risk missing the ship. We are taking the high speed Hydrofoil to Capri, which should be fun.

Kusadasi Turkey we are doing a private half day tour of Ephesus with some other Cruise Critic people and then we are going to the Marketplace which is right next to our ship, If daughter wants she may head back to the ship while we shop and have lunch.

On the Greek Isles of Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu we plan to either rent a car or try and find a boat to hire for fun, sun, beach and sea. With such a port intensive cruise we will all need the down time and I do not want to culture overload the teen. We have 4 days in Venice after the cruise for more Museums and Cathedrals.

Athens is another half day private tour to see the Acropolis, Parthenon, Temple of Athena and a few other historic sites.

Katakolon we have not decided yet what to do.

I am sure she will meet friends on the ship that she will want to hang with and thats fine, I am not going to insist that she spend most of her time with us. My husband and I will be able to have a bit of our own vacation then.

I have kept flexibility for the Greek Isles if she wants to invite some friends to the beach or on a boat she is able too. It all about the first time experiences for us .. first cruise ... teens first trip to Europe etc. Also we look at the cruise of being a sampling of where we are going to visit, we do not have to see it all. If we love a place enough we will go back on our own and explore some more. I think if you have a balance of fun and culture it will be a trip that your son will never forget.

Snackdaddy,

Bear in mind that we are from the UK so the Med ports are a relatively short hop from home, so there is not necessarily quite the same urge to try and do it all in the one trip.

Previously, we have done organised tours to Pompeii, Ephesus and the Shrine, Pisa, and Istanbul. They were all half-days. Other ports we have done on our own for example, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Kusadasi. We haven't taken our teens on any scenic coach tours either and we've always 'chosen' to stay on board the ship in Athens. I suppose I have taken the cowards way out. It is very hot there in August when we've been - I can't take the intense heat and neither do I particularly want to be dragging the four of them kicking and screaming from their beds at the crack of dawn to see... in their words... "yet another set of ruins"!! It is very hard to put an old head on young shoulders... they don't realise the opportunity they are being given. The folly of youth maybe. That said, we attempt to find a middle road and try to find a compromise - one that everyone is happy with. By and large it works. This year we finish our cruise in Rome so have hired a driver for the day before flying home the same evening. We plan to walk to the old town in Dubrovnik, maybe catch the hydrofoil to Capri. The rest of the ports we will play by ear.

Most of all my teens love meeting the other people on board - particularly those of similar age to themselves. They have some magical memories and still keep in touch via the internet with kids they met back in 2001. This year both my sons will have just finished exams... and have asked if they can just chill a bit. That seems a reasonable request too.

Laura

PS: As yet, neither of the boys have a set of wheels! It's surprising how much they want the holiday instead.

PPS: It will be my 24th next year too!!

We will be on the Grand Princess next month for a 12 night Med cruise with our 16 year old daughter, I will report back. She chose the itinerary over Asia, Alaska and Australia cruises for our big trip this year.

Are you on the Grand Princess that departs from Civitavecchia on June 19? We have a 17 year old daughter, a 15 year old son and the "baby" who is 10. We'll be there, hoping they find friends on board.

Hi! We are a family of 5 (daughters ages 17 and 10, son 16 years) still don't know if we should take a private driver in Kusadasi. Any opinions? Anybody out there interested in sharing the cost?

Grand Princess 6/19/05

Hi Mtl

I have the 16 year old daughter and she will be thrilled to hear of fellow teens!

I was nervous about Kusadasi Turkey, but I have read reports where cruisers felt very safe there.

Please join our Roll Call and you might find other cruisers to share excursions with. I know Seirra is looking for someone to share a ride from Rome to Civitevechia.

Where are you from and is this your first cruise? What other tours do you have planned?

Beth

I have just booked RCI Brilliance 12 Med-Venice for June 16,2006. I am taking my twin sons( will be 18 at the time and just graduating) wanted the experience before sending them off in two direcions for college.

I appreciate the above comments as I really had not given thought to the culture overload -and maybe seeing less at some ports. As they have only previously seen the carribbean and Mexico.

Michele

Hi Mtl

I have the 16 year old daughter and she will be thrilled to hear of fellow teens!

I was nervous about Kusadasi Turkey, but I have read reports where cruisers felt very safe there.

Please join our Roll Call and you might find other cruisers to share excursions with. I know Seirra is looking for someone to share a ride from Rome to Civitevechia.

Where are you from and is this your first cruise? What other tours do you have planned?

Beth

Hi Beth:

I did't read your reply until today, after Sandra instructed me how to check my posts! I'm so glad I finally hooked with you and other passengers on our Grand Princess 6/19 adventure. And that IS what I consider our cruise, since we have had no time to look into shore excursions yet. Besides, we are on a very reduced budget for this trip .

We are foriginally from Venezuela. My husband and I met on our first cruise 27 years ago (Queen Elizabeth II, from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale). We came to Miami, Florida on our honeymoon (Royal Caribbean Sun Viking cruise of the caribbean) 20 years ago. We have been living in Miami ever since, but never been on another cruise.

We never thought we would it again. but the kids were the ones who convinced us. My oldest daughter (17) is taking AP European History classes and she's dying to visit Europe. Besides, this may be our last chance for all of us to spend summers together, as she will be leaving next year to go to college. The other two kids (son 16, and daughter 10) are just excited about the sightseeing and the ship. They particularly want to meet other kids their age. They're very excited now that I told them they will!

From now on, I'll move to the Roll Call thread. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your daughter.

Thanks for your reply and for all your help,

Maria

Two years ago we took our then 18 and 15 year old boys on a Med cruise. It was a first European trip for the boys and for me, but my husband had studied in Italy when he was in college MANY years ago. Not knowing when we'd get back again, we hired private drivers and crammed as much as we could into every day. We added on a few days pre-cruise in Venice and post-cruise in Barcelona--all filled with touring. The trip was more than wonderful for everyone. So wonderful that we're taking an almost identical trip this summer.

There were a few moments that didn't go quite as we'd planned. My younger son reached his limit of churches in Rome and waited outside when we stopped at a couple of the more minor churches. Both boys were so exhausted from playing at night that they slept through the beauty of the Amalfi Coast drive. But boy, do they remember lunch!! ;)

They helped plan the places we visited on the last trip. In fact, our older son constantly reminds us that he's the one that suggested a side trip to Padua to see the Scrovegni Chapel which was a highlight of our stay in Venice. They're actively planning this next trip and insist on driving the Amalfi Coast. They hope to stay awake this time. :D

One thing I forgot to mention' date=' though, is that we didn't "overload" them with all historical sites. For example, in Livorno we chose the Pisa/Italian Beach trip,[/quote']

The four of us sat down with the list of shore excursions and everyone had a say in what we did. In Livorno, it will be only Pisa as my son did not wan't to go to the beach. In Villa Franche, he wanted to see a medeival castle so we are off to Eze. They both thought it would be fun to ride Segways, so that is the tour of the day in Nice.

We are only maxxing out two days with full day tours.

All of your experiences and suggestions have contributed to our decision to book the 6/28/06, 12-night Med-Greek Isles on board Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas with our 18 year-old son. In fact, he changed his tune after reading some of your comments. He especially liked the idea of half-day tours and shopping in Florence's outlets. Go figure. Thanks again. :)

For Florence check out Allesandro at alecamma@hotmail.com. He had the best price we could find for a Florence driver, all day 240 Euros, and he is getting us tickets to see the David at the Academia. We couldnt do it all and the outlets without a private driver. Good luck!

Snackdaddy,

Your post made me smile from ear to ear!

Our family's first cruise together was in the Med when my 17 year old daughter was in Grade 7. Since then she's done a couple of several European cruises and land trips. In August, she'll be going off to Italy for four months at the Canadian high school near Rome and graduate from there.

As an afterthought, we asked her... if she had had the choice, would she prefer the trip or a car? The trip, of course, she says. This despite the fact that we live 15 minutes from any town or store, and share vehicles.

You just might create the same type of travel fiend we did, so beware!

Vacationhappy,

Tell me more about this waterpark in Corfu!! I promised no museums in Croatia and Greece!! Our twin 19 year old girls love to cruise/travel and told my husband and I to go ahead and spend their inheritance on family trips now. They would rather have the memories of traveling around the world together as a family!! They figure that since we are putting them through college, they should be able to take care of themselves later on. They have really enjoyed the teen club and were still able to go last year, but now they are too old. We are on the Brilliance in June and are very excited!!!

Thanks, Carole

lina1- I had to laugh. We've told the boys we're spending all of the money on travel and, if they're lucky, they'll have memories of wonderful family vacations and pictures of our travels. Truthfully, they've inherited a love of travel which, as we all known, is really an expensive obsession. ;)

Archived