Hawaii--Sightseeing from the ship?

eap1986

Definitely when you sail past the Napoli coast after leaving Kauai, and the other one not to miss is when you sail pass the volcano after leaving Hilo or Kona (can't remember which). They sail past at night so you can see the flames of the volcano going into the ocean.

Thought the volcano was no longer running into the sea? Has something changed?

As recently as August cruisers were reporting the lava is still not flowing.

That could very well be true. We cruise POA back in 2007 ant it was flowing then. Sorry for the confusion!

Definitely when you sail past the Napoli coast after leaving Kauai, and the other one not to miss is when you sail pass the volcano after leaving Hilo or Kona (can't remember which). They sail past at night so you can see the flames of the volcano going into the ocean.

Oh perfect! I've heard the Napali coast is awesome, thanks so much:D

All of the inter island travel happens at night - but as others have mentioned the Napoli Coast is a scenic cruise done in the afternoon - They used to sail one way along the coast and around the island - everyone wanted to be on the Port side of the ship in order to view it. When I looked at the new route (we cruised there in 06) it looks like they go along the coast, turn around and repeat from the other direction.

There were lots of movies and TV shows filmed along this coast line including Lost - I believe there is a tour from the port that explores these sites.

The volcano at night was wonderful- too bad the earthquake in Japan shut off the flow - sooner or later the lava will appear again - maybe here and maybe somewhere else :eek:

I loved watching the ship arrive in the mornings in Maui and Hilo. Get up early, get a cup of coffee, and stand on your balcony as you sail around the northern coast of the Big Island then into Hilo harbor. When we went, Mauna Kea was covered in snow and it was quite an amazing sight with the jungles on the north shore combined with that giant snow-covered mountain.

Oh perfect! I've heard the Napali coast is awesome, thanks so much:D

Napoli coast is not to be missed. I have never seen anything so beautiful. If you can swing it, do a helicopter tour of Kauai. We booked ourselves with Blue Hawaiian. Best money spent of the trip.

When we were on Pride of America the ship sailed North of the island from Hilo to Kona - not South which is by the volcano.

Yes the ship said by the Na'Pali coast and then stopped and turned around so the other side could get a great view.

Anytime you pull into port - great view too

Archived