Multiple starters and two entrees?

Sailinwfam

I say order as much as you want, it is a way to offset the pricey drinks at the bar!

To me ... I do not compare prices of the drinks on Carnival with a land bar ... I compare it to going to an event ... such as a ballgame ... or other event ...

Prices are right in line for that ...

I'm still chuckling over someone getting the "stinkeye" because they ordered an extra soup!

We've done it here and there. It isn't unusual for us to order a couple of extra appetizers to share amongst the family of 5. One trip we were seated at a 10 top with another family with three teen/young adults. The waiter told all the boys they were going to want 2 lobsters, and when they hesitated (all the kids had great manners- ours and theirs) the waiter talked them into it, with all the parents approving.

There wasn't a shred of wasted lobster than night!

It seems polite to try to order extras in a way that makes the waitstaff's job as easy as possible. I had one night when I was picking at something that was pretty awful, and the waiter surprised me with a plate of Indian food. He knew I liked it because I had scarfed it up the night before.

I'm still chuckling over someone getting the "stinkeye" because they ordered an extra soup!

We've done it here and there. It isn't unusual for us to order a couple of extra appetizers to share amongst the family of 5. One trip we were seated at a 10 top with another family with three teen/young adults. The waiter told all the boys they were going to want 2 lobsters, and when they hesitated (all the kids had great manners- ours and theirs) the waiter talked them into it, with all the parents approving.

There wasn't a shred of wasted lobster than night!

It seems polite to try to order extras in a way that makes the waitstaff's job as easy as possible. I had one night when I was picking at something that was pretty awful, and the waiter surprised me with a plate of Indian food. He knew I liked it because I had scarfed it up the night before.

we seldom eat dessert and our waiters encouraged us to take it to our room; packaged it up and everything. they're trying to give away that stuff!

This is copied from my review of our cruise on the Valor earlier this year. This was outrageous ! No wonder there was a shortage of escargot. (These people never heard of Cruisecritic, so I don't expect they will be posting a reply.

Ripley’s Believe It Or Not Multiple Orders by Tablemates Now, I know that Carnival allows you to order what you want to, but….. on the first night, when one couple had several plates delivered, we did not pay much attention to it. The night after lobster/shrimp night, the wife bragged that she had ordered 4 lobster tail plates at our dinner setting, then she went to the ‘other dining room, ‘ and ordered 2 more for a total of 6 lobster tails and 18 shrimp.

The night of oysters Rockefeller starters she had 4 orders of those along with her entrée. I think there were 4 on each plate for a total of 16. She said, “ Just wait until it is escargot night.” Sure enough, that night she ordered 6 escargot plates/4 on each plate, THEN following the entrée of Chateaubriand, she ordered 2 more plates of escargot for dessert ! That of course held up the delivery of the desserts for the rest of us at the table.

The final night, she ordered multiple fried shrimp and you guessed it, Rainer, our server said to her, “Let me guess. You want 2 shrimp plates for dessert.” BINGO, he was right. I will not make any comments about her orders, you are free to make your own.

what a PIG

I see no problem with ordering more than one in the MDR. I do this only when I see two things that I absolutely love. I've ordered more than one appetizer before and I only order two entrees on Lobster night. I know I will order two desserts when I see Bitter & Blanc...I love it!

If I want it, I'll order it! I almost always get 1 or 1 1/2 desserts (split one with someone else. I don't think I have eve gotten 2 entrees, but if there are 2 things that I absolutely want to try, I wouldn't even think twice. I'll sometimes get 2 starters, but will not get 2 of the same thing (entree, dessert, or starter). I don't get multiples because I need that much to fill me up, I like to try new things and I eat what I order.

What are your thoughts on ordering multiple starters and two entrees at dinner in the MDR? Someone brought this up on our last cruise and it turned into quite a hot topic. Do you order more than one?

I sometimes order more than one starter if they have more than one I want to try, but only order 1 entree and usually only eat 1/2 of that and 1/2 of my desert. DH always orders 2 starters (a salad and an appetizer) but usually only 1 entree unless there are 2 he really wants to try.

I don't know how someone could eat more than 1 entrée.

Then you must not have had a "growing" teenage son go on a cruise with you. On my son's last cruise, we used to laugh about his 2/2/2 order. Two starters, two entrees, two desserts. Nothing left on his plates. Plus, he usually had multiple orders of sushi before we went into the MDR. Waiter and tablemates didn't blink an eye. Kid doesn't gain an ounce. Lucky him.

On my first cruise a few weeks ago, I definitely did. I would usually get the soup and shrimp cocktail or the didja item and the person I went with would always get a salad and another starter. There were times we both ordered 2 entrees or one of us ordered another one so we could share and taste the all the different options. Every night I would get whatever dessert I wanted and get a side of pineapple sherbet. After typing this, I feel like a complete fatty, but it never really felt like that much food (sorry, 4 shrimp with a tablespoon of cocktail sauce doesn't fill me up!)

Order whatever you want but eat what you order (unless it's truly awful).

:rolleyes: At 46 I don't need my mother or father or some stranger to tell me what I have to eat or not. Personally I don't tell my kids that either. They know when they are full, I don't need to tell them. If that means it's after eating an an entree and a part of another then so be it. I'd rather have them stop when they are full than eat to finish the food on their plate. Which way do you think is healthier for them?

Then you must not have had a "growing" teenage son go on a cruise with you. On my son's last cruise, we used to laugh about his 2/2/2 order. Two starters, two entrees, two desserts. Nothing left on his plates. Plus, he usually had multiple orders of sushi before we went into the MDR. Waiter and tablemates didn't blink an eye. Kid doesn't gain an ounce. Lucky him.

Yeah.....our son will be a month shy of 15 on our next cruise, is already 6'4" with no signs of stopping, and I have to special order his clothes from Old Navy because he wears a medium tall. I feel like warning them ahead of time that he's coming! :eek:

We generally only order extra entrees on lobster night. Other than that, I will usually order two apps but no salad, that kind of thing. And of course we order all at once so it's easier on the staff.

Yeah.....our son will be a month shy of 15 on our next cruise, is already 6'4" with no signs of stopping, and I have to special order his clothes from Old Navy because he wears a medium tall. I feel like warning them ahead of time that he's coming! :eek:

We generally only order extra entrees on lobster night. Other than that, I will usually order two apps but no salad, that kind of thing. And of course we order all at once so it's easier on the staff.

My DS is 18, just shy of 6'8" with a 32" waist. He wears shorts under his Jeans year round to help keep them up. His soccer shorts came to just mid thigh on him and were to the knee or past on everyone else on his team. He is a bottomless pit and doesn't gain an ounce. He usually orders 2 starters, 1-2 entrees, 2 deserts and then he finishes up DD's(15 - 5'11 1/2") and my food that we couldn't eat. FWIW....DD loves it when she sees boys like your son...she towers over most boys her age :D.

Waiters on Carnival have almost always encouraged us to order more than one appet, entree etc. I dont, because I just dont have the room for it all. One appetizer, one entree, one dessert and I am way to full! That just me. I have seen people order multiple items though many times, and have never seen the waiters object.

Order whatever you want but eat what you order (unless it's truly awful).

I agree. Hate to see food wasted. My mother was a child during war times, and she drove that into my head over the years. So, it is hard for me to see people order too much, then leave most of it behind. I really dont see this much in the MDR, but have seen it happen often in the Lido buffet.

I agree. Hate to see food wasted. My mother was a child during war times, and she drove that into my head over the years. So, it is hard for me to see people order too much, then leave most of it behind. I really dont see this much in the MDR, but have seen it happen often in the Lido buffet.

Only problem with ordering multiple entrees is that it also comes with an addition starch and veggie.

The only time I do this is on elegant night. I like my surf and turf so order both the lobster and the prime rib.

Same here. Love the surf and turf

We always sign up for the late dining in MDR, but hit up the buffet around early dining time for some sushi or perchuttio and melon or some other starter with a glass of wine. Then when in MDR just order one starter, a salad, one entree. But technically we've had 2 if you count the earlier one.

I did actually. Our DS went on our first cruise when he was 18.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Ordering multiples is likely one of the reasons why some favorites are no longer available. Furthermore if you order them to arrive all at once you monopolize table space. While if you have them arrive separately you monopolize the waiter's time. Two appetizers instead of one app and a salad is different.
Not to mention the heavier loads in the dishwashers will overwork the generators and the ship will need more fuel to keep from slowing down.

The entree's are rather small, and after running up and down stairs all day it is pretty easy.

Actually the entrée size is the portion that should be served in all restaurants. Portion distortion has taken over restaurants everywhere. If the Carnival portions are comparable to NCL's I will be good with soup or a salad and the entrée. Have to save room for the chocolate melting cake.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Archived